This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#41408 by fisherman bob
Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:27 am
There's no other band like Rush. They're almost a unique genre unto themselves. I certainly appreciate their technical abilities, but I'm certanly not a big fan. I've never cared for the lead vocals (I wish I could play bass with that amount of technical prowess). I think they're being so different lends itself to such a dedicated fanbase. I mean if you're into Rush, there's nobody else like them to get into. You also have to admire a band that has stayed together so many years and put out so many recordings. It's a credit to the people in the band and especially their loyalty to each other. Later...

#41846 by Drum2Live2112
Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:57 am
You know i can see where you guys are coming from with all this but, it's a die hard thing. To most fans, we feel that they are our musical heroes and we follow the band like religion. But it's largely the thought that after what they have been through over the years, they can still bring it home.
From a non-fan's perspective, Geddy's vocal is sort of an acquired taste, and Neil is no Scott Rockenfeld who fits everything together perfectly. They're more virtuosos, and in a world of guys like dragonforce and all that, they are a lot deeper and "Closer to the Heart" like we feel a band should be.
But C'Mon, lifeson shreds hardcore and geddy's still got it in the pipes for what he did to em in the 70's.
Just pick up a copy of ghost rider and you'll see what i mean.

#93986 by Donald Ray
Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:16 am
LOL

Wrong

They started in the Late 60's ........Dude

I know .......Me and Neil talk alot about the band Rush ..

Been ti there House's and visit all 3 of them .....Cool Huh

#94987 by bundydude
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 am
True masters! nuff said.

#95006 by neanderpaul
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:24 am
nsra65 wrote:LOL

Wrong

They started in the Late 60's ........Dude

I know .......Me and Neil talk alot about the band Rush ..

Been ti there House's and visit all 3 of them .....Cool Huh

Sorry, who was wrong? Just curious.

#95008 by gbheil
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:42 am
I probably said this before but I saw them in concert as they toured to promote 2112.
Awesome, inspiring, & powerful concert that was.
They kinda lost me with the whole Tom Sawyer thing. But you know how radio will ear even the good stuff smooth out.
Train to Bangkok and Trees probably two of my favs.

#97203 by Jimmy Kennan
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:04 am
Wegman wrote:Greenie,

Did you listen to the entire Hemisphers album? IMO it is one of the best they ever did.

Agreed. Well, at least as far as their "prog" years are concerned. Someone once said that Rush is the "best non-prog prog band". lol After I finally got it, I agreed with him.

#97204 by Jimmy Kennan
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 am
sanshouheil wrote:Greatist Band In the world? Great band yes. Greatist? How would one qualify that I wonder?

No, not the greatest. Certainly in the top 20

#97959 by tcole6
Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:07 pm
Greatest band in my world. Would have never learned to play Bass if it weren't for them. I was 13 browsing some Music/Head Shop in Newark, DE (this would be 1980ish) and found "Farewell to Kings" vinyl for $5.00. Thought the cover was cool so I bought it. Blew me away. Been my favorite band ever since. I've seen them in concert for every tour since Moving Pictures. A friend of mine (who lives in TX now) still makes a point to arrange a trip up north anytime their tour is gonna hit Phila. so we can go.

#100889 by cloudy
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:10 pm
Man, I learned to play guitar from learning Rush songs.

First saw them on "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert", Fly By Night tour. I was hooked. Growing up in Detroit, I saw them in all kinds of tiny theaters & hockey rinks.

Kind of grew out of them after "Signals" - "Moving Pictures" seemed kind of the end of an era for them, with "Signals" still having some of that-something from their earlier days. I got to where I wanted more funk & soul in what I was listening to... and Rush kinda isn't funky.

But, I sit there jaw-dropped when they play "Rio" on VH1, and I'm thrilled that they seem like a bunch of humble, nice guys and have become so huge (when i was a kid, nobody heard of 'em). Neil's personal story is so freakishly tragic and moving - my daughter's a college frosh and the thought of losing a child? Doesn't seem survivable.

It kind of hurts to hear Geddy reaching for the old high notes - my favorite vocal performances from him are "Anthem", "Farewell to Kings" - but even in their prime, he was always a tad weaker live than in those iconic early studio tracks. But god damn, his bass tone on their later live stuff is simply stellar.

I don't agree with the "Lifeson - ehhh" comments; I think as a creative soloist, he's just a step below with jeff beck and holdsworth - who generally don't have to "fit" short solos into songs. the solo on "farewell" is such a cool, glorious, emotive wall of noise, and "limelight" is just a classic melodic piece of guitar. I'm still trying to UN-learn his complex rhythm playing and leave a little more room for vocals, too. Lifeson's big weakness if often tone - on the live DVDs I'm surprised there's not more complexity in his tone - lots of gain, kind of thin, where there should be some shocking bit of weirdness.

I'm curious though - hit the MP3's on my bandmix profile - are you hearing any Alex in there? I really feel he was my first real guitar teacher.

#107823 by SuhrGT555
Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:51 am
Arguably the best band of all time...

#216918 by zar535135
Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 pm
Yes RUSH commercially came out in the early 70s. But their original line-up was...
Geddy Lee - Bass
Alex Lifeson - Guitar
John Rutsy - Drums