This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#9572 by tlnelson
Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 pm
Hey Tessa, I checked out your MySpace pages, good stuff. :) I see you're in a cover band and that's what I want to do. I either want to join or start up my own rock cover band covering stuff from the 70's, 80's, 90's and today. I can't write music, never tried, so in order to do originals I would have to hook up with musicians that could write, but I would like to do original stuff too. Once I get another good recording of myself, I'll be posting it on here. I tell ya, since I've been working with my new teacher, my voice has skyrocketed! LOL I just have to jump the nervesness hurdle and then I'll be a force to be reckoned with! LOL

Thanks everyone for your encourgement and comments on this thread, I really appreciate it.

Tracy

#9579 by TheHeshInc
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:31 pm
It's been said here and elsewhere many times - it's NEVER too late! I'm reminded of something in an old Dear Abby column:
Q: Do you know how old I'll be when I graduate medical school if I start now?
A: Same age you'll be if you don't!

So - my quick advice to you - JUST DO IT! Half the obstacle is just showing up.

Recommendation: a book called "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. A spiritual path to higher creativity, she calls it. excellent guide for people in your/our situation.

I wish you all the best!

~Heshy

#9582 by RhythmMan
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:57 pm
Hey, Tessa, "The Fossils?"
Now, that's funny. :)

#9640 by Tessa
Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:12 pm
Hey Samic, you know when I first joined the band, they were gonna change the name cos lots of people thought we played "oldies". And- the other reaction, which I appreciated being the female front person, was that I didn't look like a fossil! The thing was, we just like "digging for the old great songs" ! Long story short, the name remains, ah like a "fossil"! It's actually funny some of the reactions we get. How the hell do you get those smiley faces- I don't know how to do that.

#9641 by Tessa
Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:24 pm
Hi Tracy! Thanks for checking out my space! You know, the stage feels like home to me cos I never get nervous. People ask me that- if I get nervous and I don't. The only time I'm apprehensive, is when I'm doing my acoustic solo performances in a new place, cos you don't know what to expect, but even that usually changes after I play a song or two. When I'm with the band, I never get nervous. I haven't posted my originals, but I will, soon. I wish you the best !
#9642 by Iraqirick
Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Tracy i have been over in IRAQ working for the last 3 years because i feel the same way that you do, only i found out that money is a big part of what i am going to do when i leave here in December. I am 40 and i have wanted my dream all of my life and that is what i am going to do. please do not let anyone or anything stand in your way because a dream is something that no one can ever take away from you, Remember that you own that, it is paid for.

#9650 by RhythmMan
Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:41 pm
Tessa: Re: 'smiley ' face.
Do a colon ":" followed by a right parenthesis ")"

#9707 by Tessa
Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:28 pm
Samic, LOL, Thanks a lot! Why can't I get those faces ?

#9723 by OLDBONES
Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:14 am
Hi Tracy!

Can you sing while playing drums at the same time? It works for me, and has for over 40 years! You increase your worth to a band that way. Plus, by keeping the band smaller, it's easier to find gigs and your split is a little better. Not being the main vocalist isn't so bad as you can really shine when it's your turn, and learning to harmonize is important. You can always find another drummer and then take your spot at center stage later. Gotta pay dem dues, ya know. I started playing about the time you were born, quit to spend time with the kids, and then went back to it about 6 years ago. Yeah, it's a little rougher out there now, but if you approach it in the right way you can make something happen. You have a distinct advantage over me - you're cute and female! I'm just an old bald guy. But hey, if you ever think you may want to relocate to Seattle, maybe we can work something out! (I'm still married, 35 years later, so I'm not talkin' 'bout any funny b'ness! lol I'm so full of ................. wisdom! HA!

Dave, aka Old Bones Malone

#9838 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 pm
Tracy,

The subject of your topic here is something I have also been wondering... and I'm only 25, lol. I guess it's so easy to get stuck in thinking you'll never go where you'd like to as a musician but I feel that if you have something to offer, all it takes is offering it to the right person and you're on your way... so get out there and start offering to people! There are surely some avenues you can pursue to find likeminded musicians of any age you're looking for! The search for them can be arduous but they're out there! You're already doing what's necessary by making posts like this one. Best of luck.

-Stephen

#10509 by [email protected]
Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:23 pm
I NEED EVERYONES HELP; I AM A ASPIRING COUNTRY SINGER IN MARYLAND AND I NEED EVERYONE WHO READS THIS TO GO TO WWW.WPOC.COM (A LOCAL RADIO STATION)

THEN CLICK ON "VOTE NATIONAL ANTHEM" THEN CLICK ON MY NAME
KELLEY LARSON

THEN CONTEST ENDS FRIDAY @ 5PM. YESTERDAY I WAS IN FIRST PLACE WITH 32% NOW I AM IN 4TH. I REALLY WANT THIS BAD. SO PLEASE EVERYONE WHO IS A PERFORMER KNOWS THE RUSH YOU GET ON STAGE ESPECIALLY IN FRONT OF 25,000 PEOPLE. AND SOMEONE IMPORTANT MIGHT SEE YOU. PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP

MORE OF ME AND MY MUSIC AT MYSPACE.COM/KELLEYELG

#10527 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:01 am
Kelly, you hijacked a dozen threads here, and with the exact same message, and that irritates people. You might have done yourself a dis-service - many people may actually vote against you.
But good luck, anyway . . . .

#11659 by mrg2u
Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:04 pm
:shock: aRE YOU KIDDING!!! i AM 48 AND FINALLY GOT BACK IN AFTER 25 YEARS AWAY AND HAVE BEEN HAVING A BLAST. Our age group right now are the ones out there paying 150.00 or more for dinner and a couple of drinks and beleive me when I find a place w/ music I love thats where I go!!! you right in there . Go for it!!!

#11667 by tbird
Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:52 pm
kno the pressures your up against. soon as you mention music your folks treat like youve come home with the plague. im from ireland and its like the back hole of calcutta as far as music is concerned. not with talent mind you bucket loads of it . but no opportunities for up coming bands singers etc. its so band we have a local champion d j here who laments on our behalf and you wana here the stuff he plays all local would blow your mind. from t bird

#11695 by Hotblooded07
Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:47 am
i had 15 years out of the music buiswhilst the kids were growing up
got back into it about 8 years ago an 12 months ago started a band
only feel 21 when i'm playing i do feel 53 when it cmes to carting the gear in and out but really enjoy it never too old is my view