This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#94647 by Chippy
Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:26 pm
What Key do you generally start with and why? Mine seems to be 'A' all the way. I've no Idea why but someone in the past said I have perfect C?

Of course it doesn't matter much if your not good with 'C' so what is your Key?

#94657 by gbheil
Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:48 pm
I do my best to play in the key of the song. Don't always work out all that well.
Good question I'll have to peruse the song book and see which key is most prominent.

#94685 by fisherman bob
Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:57 am
We do a lot of songs in E, A & G. I probably sing the best in G or F#. But it really doesn't matter what key the song is in. If the lead singer is having trouble with a particular song try changing the key it's in. Or if one of the instrumentalists is having trouble change the key. If you're doing a cover please don't consider it sacrilige to change keys. There's nothing worse than doing a cover and the singer sounds like Alfalfa from The Little Rascals. Experiment until it sounds right regardless of the key.

#94687 by jimmydanger
Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:06 am
It depends on the cover though. Sure you can do Stormy Monday in G, G flat or G sharp. But if you try to do a Zeppelin song and change the key be prepared for negative reactions.

#94695 by Chippy
Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am
Thanks folks. Sorry I should have stated using your own material but there are some good answers here which I agree with too when playing classics.

That to me tells a story too. Most folks probably know what they key is when listening without knowing why perhaps? Interesting that innit. ..

#94702 by philbymon
Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:15 pm
My originals go from A to C to G, D, C#, E, B, Bb, in major & minors. Pretty much anything I can sing in. (Not that I have a great range or anything.) I used to try to write in a new key occasionally, just to do it. Break out the Capo! LOL

#94809 by gtZip
Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:05 pm
E, G, D mainly I guess.

But try F#
F# equals hit for some reason. :)

#94814 by jimmydanger
Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:31 pm
Speaking of keys, did you know that E flat has a heroic or regal sound to it? This is why Beethoven choose this key for his "Eroica" symphony. Also Chopin's Nocturne No.2 is in that key. And people say D minor is the saddest of all keys.

#94922 by RhythmMan
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:36 pm
If you want to become a better composer, then - when you compose a new song, - start it a key you never use.
I think most folks start songs in a key in which they're comfortable with.
If one always does what one is comfortable with, then one never progresses.
Did you just write a song in Am?
Transpose it to Bm - slide everything up 2 frets; and then see which chords you can play open.
Too hard?
Ok, then raise or lower it 5 frets - that is - jump a string or 2; start in Em or Dm . . .
Did you write a song in "E?"
Raise to "A."
Too easy? Raise it to G, or "A flat."
And DON'T rely on a capo, or you're taking shortcuts in your self-education.
You can play and sing any song, in any key, without a capo.
If you always play a certain song with a capo on the same fret - transpose the song to that key, instead; it doesn't take long.
Every musician should learn how to transpose a song.

#94925 by Kramerguy
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:31 pm
Can't remember where I heard it, probably some movie, but one response I heard somewhere is:

"I play in the key of F*ck!"

#94928 by johnnya
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 pm
i play the sets in d# or eflat, keep another guitar tuned in regular tunning. sometimes a guest sits in and they will work in reg. tunning. It helps with the voice, and i have sat in on standard sets and so far no problems.

#94936 by Starfish Scott
Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:09 pm
Eb, G + B, mostly..

#94947 by Chippy
Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:55 pm
Having listened to what I am writing properly (NEW) I'll probably take that back? It's all over the place. :oops:

That of course is because I'm not writing a film score, a song for a singer, not writing to be famous etc, etc. i.e. I don't have a fluke about what I am doing and I LIKE THAT,

:D

#95083 by Ian Parker Terrace
Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:16 pm
All keys

#95218 by HowlinJ
Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:01 pm
Ian Parker Terrace wrote:All keys

I'm with Ian!

however,

When I was playing with a sax man, we played a lot out of B Flat and F, (it seems to make it easier on them there horn blowers!)

I personally like the sound of progressions with a E minor and B minor in them, (especially to accompany sweet and somber Celtic style melodies)

I like to blow blues with a D harp, draw style, so in that instance, the band plays in A.

Otherwise, the deciding factor as to keys often depends on the ability of the singer (me or anybody else) to best preform the song. I became proficient at transposing songs to alternate keys back in the 60's when I played with a vocalist with a good voice, but limited range.

HJ