This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#92458 by IzzyFunderburke
Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 am
there is no real anwser to this but, who do you think is the worst/most overated guitarist of all time? my choice is 100% kurt cobain. dont get me wrong he was good at writing riffs but thats all he was good at.

#92534 by HowlinJ
Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:43 am
I really liked Cobain's music. Never had any reason to judge his playin', although I have seen a few vidios wher he performed poorly.

I was disappointed when I heard Steve Miller live.

I also didn't care for Leslie West's sound when I heard Mountain, but I concluded that that was due to a botched sound job.

HJ

#92552 by LeeChavez
Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:06 am
Kurt Cobain. Wrote some great songs, not really a lot to him though.

#92560 by HowlinJ
Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:14 pm
......and then there is Johnny Cash and Neil Young!

(proof positive that you don't need to be the greatest guitar player to produce GREAT music! :) )

Howlin'

#92563 by philbymon
Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:59 pm
I hate Neil Young. I hate his voice. I hate his playing. I like some of his songs, though I have successfuly lived this long without ever singing one or even playing one at a paying gig.

I have never been impressed with U2's Edge guy. If it weren't for his effects, I doubt anyone would ever listen to him.

Cobain was not a musician. He was a songwriter, & a poor performer.

Jerry Garcia was one of the most overrated guitarists I ever heard. To me, he was the epitome of slop (even more so than Jimmy Page!), & if it weren't for the drugs at his shows, no one would care about him.

#92604 by Black57
Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:30 pm
HowlinJ wrote:......and then there is Johnny Cash and Neil Young!

(proof positive that you don't need to be the greatest guitar player to produce GREAT music! :) )

Howlin'

Yeah there are actually some guitarists who truly know only 4 chords.
#92660 by IzzyFunderburke
Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:24 am
LeeChavez wrote:Kurt Cobain. Wrote some great songs, not really a lot to him though.
Yeah i love some of his music, but when they play live its horrible. BTW has any one ever heard him scream? he sounds like a dying baby

#93570 by Robert_Hatfield
Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 pm
philbymon wrote:I hate Neil Young. I hate his voice. I hate his playing. I like some of his songs, though I have successfuly lived this long without ever singing one or even playing one at a paying gig.

I never cared for Neil Young, either. Then, a coworker made me a copy of "Live At Massey Hall 1971", when it came out a couple of years ago. Totally changed my opinion of the guy. Not saying it'll do the same for you, but it's certainly worth a listen...

#93573 by jimmydanger
Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Yes Robert that is a great recording of Young at his peak. He was a brilliant acoustic player but everyone knows he was nowhere when it came to the electric.

#93626 by NoBloodNoAlibi
Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:59 pm
ANGUS YOUNG! He's completely overrated in his style and no offense, but he sucks the biggest balls (next to Brian Johnson and Phil Rudd, I'll get started on him somewhere else) out there. So yeah, chew me out all you want but Angus Young sucks balls.

#93652 by fisherman bob
Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:37 am
I never considered Cobain a guitar player. He played some rhythm guitar and sang, but I don't think of him as a guitar player. Did Johnny Cash play lead guitar? Can't say I ever heard him play lead, just sang and played rhythm I think. A long time ago a guitar player friend of mine went to see his hero Leslie West live for the first time. He said it was the most disappointing performance he'd ever witnessed. Jerry Garcia played some lead, but again I don't think of him as a guitarist. I beg to differ on Angus, I think he's particularly awesome, but it's a matter of taste. To me Neil Young is a singer/songwriter first and foremost. I don't listen to his guitar playing. I've never been crazy about the Rolling Stones guitarists (except Mick Taylor). I think they are over-rated. As much as I like Eric Clapton, I don't consider him the God that so many people think he is. I guess he's over-rated IMO. I mainly listen to blues greats. There's a lot of people who think Hubert Sumlin is the bomb. I saw him live and I've played with much better guitarists than him IMO. Definitely over-rated. There's been a few guitarists who I saw live who were much better than I thought they would be. One is the lead guitarist from the Ventures (sorry I forget his name). He was easily one of the best guitarists I've ever seen live. It's hard for me to say who is the most over-rated guitarists. It depends on the genre I guess. Are you talking about lead guitarists? Accoustic? Rhythm? Stevie Ray Vaughan's older brother Jimmy is one hell of a great rhythm guitarist, probably the best I've ever heard in the blues, but I'm not blown away by his lead playing like I was with Stevie.

#93670 by gbheil
Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:03 pm
Other than CINNAMON GIRL Which I have always liked. Neil Young is a waste of white IMO.
For my taste any guitarest doing an endless stream of million notes a second riffs is just jerking off.
That would be a pretty long list these days.

#93680 by neanderpaul
Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:25 pm
philbymon wrote:I hate Neil Young. I hate his voice. I hate his playing. I like some of his songs, though I have successfuly lived this long without ever singing one or even playing one at a paying gig.

I have never been impressed with U2's Edge guy. If it weren't for his effects, I doubt anyone would ever listen to him.

Cobain was not a musician. He was a songwriter, & a poor performer.

Jerry Garcia was one of the most overrated guitarists I ever heard. To me, he was the epitome of slop (even more so than Jimmy Page!), & if it weren't for the drugs at his shows, no one would care about him.

Hate Neil Young and Garcia. Edge is awesome at utilizing effects and playing simple parts to get a big sound. I absolutely love most of his material. Kurt was a poor musician but a musician none the less. His songs were often great. And of course ground breaking.

As far as worst. C.C. Deville tops my list.

#93759 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:55 pm
Ryan_Strain wrote:basically all "guitarists" on MTV...

SMACK!

Are you ok>?

You have to be kidding me.

You sell out last night or? lol