This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#93004 by IzzyFunderburke
Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm
Album review #2

NIRVANA Live at the reading festival
Well, here I am again. Back with a review of the recently released NIRVANA LIVE AT READINGCD/DVD SET. Recorded right at the peak of their musical success, after the release of Nevermind . The dvd starts out with the classic Kurt Cobain wheelchair stunt, (poking fun at the rumors of his mental instability) and him jokingly declaring ‘’This is our last show ... till the next one’’. Then the music kicks in and although I thought it would be below the studio performance (I’m not really impressed with some of Kurt Cobains live antics) it was actually a quality performance. The music is just what you’d expect from a nirvana release, heavy screaming guitars, soft verses, simple drum beats, and in your face vocals. One complaint I’ve always had with nirvana is their nonsensical vocals, it feels like they wrote the lyrics in five seconds! I’ll give you an example from silver ‘’Grandma take me home’’ (x19) really, 19 times in a row?
From Lithium
‘’I’m so lonely
That’s okay I shaved your head
And I’m not sad
And just maybe
I’m to blame for all I’ve heard
And I’m not sure
I’m so excited
I can’t wait to meet you there
And I don’t care
I’m so horny
That’s okay my will is good’’
What????
But nonetheless the music on these tracks is outstanding! It’s not note for note, but that’s ok because some of us are tired of hearing smells like teen spirit played the same way a million times. The cd ends with a few cover tunes and a jam that go nicely in with the rest of the cd. All in all this cd contains quality nirvana music and some goofy moments that everyone could laugh at. The song choice is great and the quality is good which leads me to give LIVE AT READING dvd a 9 out of ten.
And the live at reading cd an 8 out of ten

any cd review requests? leave them in the comments

#93005 by philbymon
Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 pm
Now that's a much higher quality review, Andrew!

Hey, howzabout doing an old one? Try Phish's "Hoist." I'd love to hear what you have to say about that one!

#93008 by jw123
Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:29 pm
I saw NIrvana in a club before they hit it big with Nevermind. All I can say is live at the time they were awesome. Punk Rock energy with Pop Rock sensibility if that makes sense.

At the time I wasnt familiar with them just happened to be given tickets and almost didnt go, but they came out and kicked ass and unlike a lot of bands they truelly used dynamics live, from quiet passages to slamming passages. My roots are in old metal and they connected with me.

Lyrically I think Cobain was more interested in the phonetic value of his words or the way they sounded than the true meaning. I think he was an excellent songwriter that connected with a whole generation at the time.
#93020 by IzzyFunderburke
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:12 pm
Hoist by phish? Sure! As far as i know phish seems like a good band. :)

#93028 by Shapeshifter
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm
"I whirled around but I didn't here what you had said
and saw you dancing with Elihu, up on Lemoor's bed."

3:30 in the afternoon and I'm toasted. Hoist was fantastic!

#93202 by PocketGroovesGSO
Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:20 pm
Phish was an awesome band!