This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#92195 by Chippy
Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:31 am
Since we are still a bundle of joy and full of human kindness and since its nearly that time? :D

I don't know about you?
Anyway one I always used to like but have never played is here.

Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry 1980. Song about warfare in the trenches but hey very apt for today's world too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo

I hate the term "Happy Holidays" It's 'Christmas' and I tell them that when I get that spontaneous head implosion which results in them not being interested at the till and spill out those words like robots.
*** The reply then is: "Yes Happy Christmas!" (Disregard the look).

Another which you may not equally have heard is this.
A regular #1 in the UK it just never seems to die.
"Merry Christmas Everyone!" By Slade. 1973

I did get to play this once but our singer dropped it because he couldn't handle the vox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA

What is yours and why?

#92202 by pusMonkey
Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:19 pm
"Mele Kalikimaka" - Bing Crosby. Nothing says Christmas more than a song from Bing.

other favourites (that I would love to play):
"Happy Holidays" - Andy Williams
"Happy Holiday" - Enuff Z'nuff
"Father Christmas" - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

#92205 by philbymon
Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:01 pm
Good one, Greenie!

I've played a lot of Xmas parties over the years, & nearly always managed to avoid the seasonal tunes. I figger ppl hear enough of them at the stores & on the radio & tv...& it's rare to actually get a request for one when I do.

When my students did the christmas recital all those years I taught, though, I played a bunch of them with my students.

I always liked to have one of them play a lil instrumental version of "Ode To Joy," cuz for some odd reason that just says "Christmas" to me...

#92208 by Paleopete
Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:16 pm
I Hate Christmas, it has become entirely too commercialized, and I get really depressed every time. I'm so sick of all the traditional songs I want to puke before turkey day they've usually already been so severely overplayed by radio and muzak in stores.

Here's one you never hear though, and the very best I've ever heard, I've loved it since the 70's when Greg Lake recorded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOfXumI18A

Paul McCartney did a good one too, but it's been overplayed, although not as badly as the dreaded Bing Crosby, Elvis, ad nauseum...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuKimtU ... re=related

I can't remember the name of the one John Lennon did but it's not bad either. as far as traditional goes...YUKKK...gag me with a pitchfork...I hate 'em all.

#92250 by Chippy
Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:08 pm
I totally agree Pete. I do though at this time of year, well not just this time of year look for a glimmer, something to wake the coma, something.....

Well whatever. :D I wonder what Aliens would think if bandmix were the only place they could visit? You know the only place to extract human DNA? I came here to have a laugh and to get to know American musicians, that was all.

#92257 by Greeniemagic
Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:51 pm
Should imagine the aliens would probably say "Feck!! an it took us 100's of light years to get here as well" :wink:

#92265 by Black57
Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 pm
Ugh, I have so many. Christmas songs are the bomb especially the ones that have a jazz remix...Have you heard Ian Anderson's "We Five Kings"? We Three Kings is great jazzed up too. "My Favorite Things" which is often played at Christmas time is cool. The Christmas Song ( Chestnuts roasting ). I have a beautiful classical flute solo of Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella...played it for a winter wedding several years ago.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0o ... rtal&sao=1
#92272 by IzzyFunderburke
Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:02 am
i like to take jingle bell rock and put it to the tune of johhny b goode, or if the crowd can handle it i get badass and turn what a wonderfull world into a thrash metal song. Its funny to see them moshing to such a happy song (even if its not really a christmas song)

#92299 by Shapeshifter
Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:13 am
SOMEHOW, I went to check out the Greg Lake song and ended up watching a live version of Peter Gabriel's "Steam". The closest I care to come to Christmas ditties, anyway. :lol:

#92319 by J-HALEY
Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:36 pm
Bells Will Be Ringing. Bon Jovi or Don Henley's version I like them both.

#92325 by Chippy
Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 pm
Cool a few replies now, thanks :D
It just struck me that New Years bookings was another popular thread and I thought this might be interesting?

Back home in the days of the 'Club' a working mens hangout. At Christmas time you would hear a lot of the oldies being played. I guess playing Christmas songs isn't that vogue in a beer/wine filled bar/pub/club these days? Everyone seemed to go home happy you know?

oh

#92331 by IzzyFunderburke
Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:58 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Bells Will Be Ringing. Bon Jovi or Don Henley's version I like them both.
bon jovie did bells will be ringing? Gotta check that one out

#92340 by jimmydanger
Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:36 am
The Jethro Tull Christmas album is excellent.

One of my favorite Christmas songs is Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne".