This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8860 by Man the Guns
Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 pm
To start this message off, i'm technically retarded. I got a Marshall head amp connected to a Fender cab but I can't get any sound out of the head. I've got them connected correctly because I'm getting sound of the cab just not the headSo basically my question is, "Do guitar heads produce sound or are they just an input for guitar to the speakers?

#8905 by Blind Witchery
Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 pm
did you turn the volume of the head up? :P

either that

use a speaker cable not a guitar cable to connect the head to the cab

sounds arent produced fro mthe head itself, you need a speaker for that.

#11777 by Starfish Scott
Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:35 pm
God, i can't believe you could be this stupid. 1) plug in guitar 2) make sure cable is going from guitar to input jack. 3) turn up vol on guitar and amp.

if no noise;

take input from guitar. hold in hand. tap on top of 1/4 or xlr cord, while plugged in and powered up.. DO YOU HEAR ANY NOISE>?

if no. it's something in cord or cord from head to speaker.

if yes, it's the guitar. And simply go through and single eliminate any cord or device that will not produce noise upon tapping.

Does that do it for you?
#11892 by JJW III
Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Man the Guns wrote:To start this message off, i'm technically retarded. I got a Marshall head amp connected to a Fender cab but I can't get any sound out of the head. I've got them connected correctly because I'm getting sound of the cab just not the headSo basically my question is, "Do guitar heads produce sound or are they just an input for guitar to the speakers?

No, the head makes no sound and is simply the control center for volume, tone, inputs etc. SO if you have a head and are without a cabinet, or have the cabinet hooked up incorrectly you have no sound.

#11942 by Lew Levy
Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:04 pm
It is possible the Fender cabinet & the Marshall Head are not matched impedence wise, although it would still make sound, the sound would not be so great & it could damage the output on thead.

Heads do not produce sound .. they have no speakers.
#20308 by phboo
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 pm
Man the Guns wrote:To start this message off, i'm technically retarded. I got a Marshall head amp connected to a Fender cab but I can't get any sound out of the head. I've got them connected correctly because I'm getting sound of the cab just not the headSo basically my question is, "Do guitar heads produce sound or are they just an input for guitar to the speakers?

I had to read this a few times because I thought I was reading it wrong.

You have a stereo, right? The speakers make the sound, and the box you plug them into has the power amp that drives them. It's pretty much the same thing.

The cabinet is the speakers. It has no power. The head provides the power.
#20343 by G.E. PERRY
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 pm
Don't pay any attention to these knuckleheads.
Yes it sounds oh so simple, but there are other things to consider especially this time of year.Cold weather can make electronic jacks and switches and pots oxidize causing open circuits i.e. (no sound).
Start with what you know.Your guitar and cable works in a different amp right?The same speaker cab and cable worked with a different head right?If this is true your amp head is the problem.
Check your HT fuse(it's in the back), probably a 1A gma size.If it is open, you won't have plate voltage or sound but the amp will look like it is on.If you can't tell, go to Radio Shack and get another,they are cheap.If it blows again you will need a bench tech.
If the fuse is good go to an auto parts store.Ask for electrical contact cleaner.
Advance sells CRC brand.Good stuff.Just make sure you don't get any on the tubes!If you do, take them out and clean them with windex window cleaner.Let them dry completely.This stuff flames on when heat is applied.With the amp off,Spray your jacks.All of them.Work a guitar cable in and out each one, each time you spray.Pay particular attention to the effects in and out jacks on the back panel.If this fails to solve the problem, plug a cable into the effects return jack.With the amp on,
turn up all controls while tapping a finger on the end of the jack.
If no sound, make sure all of your tubes are lit. We are now at a point where you need tech help to proceed.But before you let someone talk you into spending a fortune on new tubes get the amp checked out.
Most shops will give you a complete diagnostic for $45.00 and some will deduct this from the final bill.If you let them proceed make sure you get everything in writing.Don't pay for any hidden expense.They should tell you before the bill increases and you should have the right to approve or deny any "new" work.
Good Luck!
G.E.
#151355 by KingBigDude
Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:48 pm
Actually. Your amp head can produce sounds but it depends on what type of sound your talking about. Noise or Inteligent sound? Such as music from your instrument or whatever? The speakers "OUTPUT" the sound from the amphead. If there's something wrong with the head, it may produce "NOISE" due to a faulty component and the speakers will output that noise,then there obviously is a problem. If the sound is produced elsewhere other than the head then it may be faulty cords or effect boxes or whatever may be within your signal path including your guitar or instrument that is connected to it. :shock:

#151417 by Starfish Scott
Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am
2008?

Can you not read the date of the post?

#151452 by Starfish Scott
Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:53 pm
2 years ago?

Easy old codger, don't bite me..

#151453 by KingBigDude
Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 pm
Well, you read it didn't ya?