This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Is my voice Rockin, So-so, or Suck?

10%
70%
10%
10%
#87688 by Jfo9812
Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:04 pm
I have been singing to myslef for a long time now. I want to know if my dream of being in a band should stay that way or if the few people that I do sing for are just being nice. If you think I should pursue this or just have CONSTRUCTIVE opinions please let me know. If its no good... ok lets hear it too :)

Thanks

#87689 by Chippy
Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:13 pm
Not voting since I don't think this post requires that. I think it very brave of you to sing without anything to hold you up, that is very difficult.

Holding your notes seemingly very well and again with no guide signals to me at least that you perhaps should pursue this. Many bands will ask that you carry your own gear, mic and stuff. Just the way it is frankly but I do wish you well.

Nice voice.

Chippy.

#87691 by philbymon
Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:13 pm
You don't have perfect pitch, so perhaps it would be better to use an instrumental guide to hold you in tune, cuz you're wandering all over the place on these songs.

Your pitchy issues aside, your voice is pleasant enough, if a little breathy. I'd suggest some tutoring, if you want to pursue a singing career.

I voted for "other," because if you get some real guidance, you may do well. Learning to play an instrument may help you, as well.

#87692 by Chippy
Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:49 pm
Reminds me of Simon frankly.
Who knows what you can do in any situation. Tutoring? On what?

I'd love to hear from singers on this. I've heard wavering in many peoples voices, some even when they talk and they are supposed to be real.

Peter Gabriel has a wonderful breathy voice. I would counter that in the right environment/band/Genre Jfo would succeed in as much that she would be happy. After that who can tell?

philbymon wrote:You don't have perfect pitch, so perhaps it would be better to use an instrumental guide to hold you in tune, cuz you're wandering all over the place on these songs.

Your pitchy issues aside, your voice is pleasant enough, if a little breathy. I'd suggest some tutoring, if you want to pursue a singing career.

I voted for "other," because if you get some real guidance, you may do well. Learning to play an instrument may help you, as well.

#87693 by fisherman bob
Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 pm
There isn't enough here for me to make a judgement...you need to put your voice to some music. Whether it's karaoke, or jam sessions, or whatever. I can't tell from something so barren what you're capable of...

#87698 by gbheil
Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 pm
If you wondering if you should make it a go in music all I can say is find you some players form a band and work like hell.
What I or anyone else thinks of your voice on these little snippits can be truly irrelevent.

#87701 by philbymon
Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:22 pm
Chippy, if you put out an a capella piece, & it wanders off-key like this, then you need tutoring to stay in tune, imho.

I AM a singer, as well, Chippy, I've been singing for most of my life, professionally for over 35 years, & HAVE tutored a few students in voice.

"Hallelujah" happens to be one of my fave tunes, btw, & I sing it, too. Within her rendition, she wanders over a 1/4 tone.

Same with "What I Got," & "Don't Speak" wanders even farther. In her defense, "Don't Speak" is a much more difficult song to sing without accompaniment, but it also points out areas where she needs help to a larger degree.

The breathy comment was aimed at the fact that where a song like "Don't Speak" gets loud & powerful, she holds to the breathy tone, keeping it quiet where it should get louder. A TUTOR would help her in these areas. She needed to open up & let that power out on the chorus. Peter Gabriel does that very well, if you want to make that comparison.

You may think I sound like Simon. I've heard that before. Still, I responded to her request for an unbiased opinion as best I could, within the parameters of my knowledge & experience. I did not address the timing issue, but in an a capella piece, the tempo is more open to personal interpretation.

I was as fair as I could be on the material she presented, & answered her as well as I could. There is a big difference between "wavering," as you call it, & "wandering" off-key, Chippy.

If anyone asks for an unbiased opinion, I think it unkind to give them mere kudos for trying, while withholding actual advice & opinion, like they asked for, if I have them to give. Kind of like what you did, wouldn't you say?

Ooops - I just noted that she asked for a "biased" opinion...okay, forget everything I just said.
:wink:
#87712 by Jfo9812
Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:49 am
philbymon you seem very well spoken and knowlegable. Thank you for your response and your UNbiased opinion :wink:
#87717 by Black57
Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 am
Jfo9812 wrote:philbymon you seem very well spoken and knowlegable. Thank you for your response and your UNbiased opinion :wink:

Overall, you have a nice voice. I feel that since you were out there all alone, staying on pitch would be difficult. If you had sent this to me as an audition CD, I would take that into consideration. Personally I think that you sound like Sarah Mclachlin, from time to time.

I suggest if you should want to send anything for an audition, don't let it be so "naked". Use some form of background music and have a decent recording. I am mightily sleepy so I hope I made some sense.

#87727 by philbymon
Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:36 pm
One way I've tried to keep in tune without instruments is to play your root note on a piano or something before you start to sing. Keep that note in mind as you sing, cuz you'll come back around to it, or a harmony note, often in most music. Having that point of reference before you begin will help you. Going at something a capella without that help will often challenge even more seasoned singers.

If you have someone available to work with, have them play a middle C on a piano, while you aren't looking. Then have them play around on the keys, one note at a time, & call out every time thay hit that middle C, to see how well you really hear the pitch. Practicing this can help you in the long run. Then work on finding the octaves blindly, as well. Sing the other notes as you go, too (between the testing for C), to see if you remain in key.

I must add that I like the overall sound of your voice, & that, with some minimal training, &/or working with real music, it is likely to be really rather good. A touch of vocal training might make it really great, with the right coach.

Best of luck. Keep singing, even if it's only for yourself. There are lots of good things that come from singing. It's even good for your overall health, believe it or not.

#87770 by Starfish Scott
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 pm
>?

a Capella?

(I'll be the devil's advocate) lol

#87794 by neanderpaul
Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 am
philby said it straight. Nice enough tone but all over the place on your key(s). Get a backing track or a friend to play with you and see if you can hold a key. Then we will have more to work with. best of luck.

#87817 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:38 pm
Work with a piano in the room or a pitch pipe.