This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8566 by Charlie A
Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 pm
In my opinion, age is a factor...depending upon what you are trying to achieve..I am not really impressed by sex driven..marketing, not that I have anything against sex...I guess sex does sell..but, in the end..music, no matter what kind it is..if it is given from the heart and enjoyed by the musician..that is what is important....Sharing emotions, telling stories, memories, and that special feeling you feel inside, when the crowd intertwines...there is nothing like it no matter what age you are..so just keep on playing no matter what kind of music you play and listen to all kinds of music you play...If you want to be a star...been there done that...it isn't all it seems.....but, always keep music in you heart
#8585 by bluesman25
Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 pm
Once again mike you fail to come to terms with the simplest of concepts. I said age was one of many factors that determine the likelyhood of success. You attribute your lack of success, or mine (as if you knew anything about me) to a lack of abillity. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you're a dynamite player and if you feel as though you've not completely lived up to your potential for success than its most likely part of one of the many factors I listed. Maybe you just didn't know the right people. Maybe you just lived in the wrong area. Maybe you're just ahead of your time, maybe the planets were never aligned properly.

We're entertainers and artists offering our best efforts to a community of listeners and observers of variant and subjective interests and tastes. We're not golfers. In golf, all you have to do is play well. If you can win or beat Tiger Woods then you're gonna do very very well in the sport and achieve unrivaled success. Music like any other subjective artform is different however in that it usually takes MORE than tallent to achieve success. Nobody had to discover Arnold Palmer.

I actually DO like allman brothers, as well as Warren Haynes. I would however have never stumbled across G Mule if not for my pre-existing love of the allman brothers sound and Mule's so-so colab with James Hetfield...who also was an allman fan. I actually like G Mule. Raven Black Night is a good song, I'm also partial to Blind Man in the Dark. Downloaded a ton of that stuff a few years back on Napster allong with all the Derrick Trucks I could find (which I think is super talletned.) Heck I even like the new Skynyrd and "van zandt." Doesn't change the fact that you would never have even had the opportunity to find, buy, download, or like Government Mule had it not been for Warren's earlier success. I don't care if you call it southern rock, modern rock, classic rock whatever. It sounds like Alman brothers just like Jerry Cantrell's solo work sounds like Alice in Chains. Just like David Gilmour's solo albums sound like Pink Floyd. Are the sounds different? Yes, but they are similar enough to peak the interest of fans of the genre (who they are marketing the product to.)

That's called demographics.

Stop trying to relate success to "being discovered." Its a passe` idea anyway. The day of a record producer or exec walking into a nightclub and saying "that singer...sign him" is somewhat a thing of the past. If by "discovered" you mean recieved one of several bio/press kits carefully designed by a moderately payed management agency...then sure. Success is about being discovered. If I'm a record exec though and I see 2 demos from 2 bands on my desk. Both sounding equally impressive, but one band is comprised of guys in their late 40's and the other band is guys in their 20's...who do you think I'm gonna choose based on the likelyhood of these people earning profits for my shareholders? Now...what if some of the guys in that 40-somethings band are well respected household names who used to be members (or are a brother of a dead member like JVZ) of a ground breaking act with emense success? That changes things a little. As previously stated, success for older and less marketable people is far more difficult unless that person has had previous success as a younger person. Although counter examples can be listed, they are the exception and not the rule.

Charlie A wrote:In my opinion, age is a factor...depending upon what you are trying to achieve..I am not really impressed by sex driven..marketing, not that I have anything against sex...I guess sex does sell..but, in the end..music, no matter what kind it is..if it is given from the heart and enjoyed by the musician..that is what is important....

Amen Charlie! If being succesful means that a board of executives picked you based on your likely apeal to teenagers who are forcefead a steady stream of marketing and hype...who needs it? Its much more important to attempt to satisfy your own desires, criticisms and growth potential as an artist. Only then can you reach out to others.

MrMikeV wrote:I've said it b4 and I'll say it again... I try to reserve my biotchslappings for people who have the capacity to know when they are being slapped and know when they aren't... that said: I don't believe I have said anything any more offensive than you said in your initial post... and if you are offended by the fact that I don't simply bend to your uneducated summations of govt mule then: you might wanna build up your shell.
Have a nice day.
mv

You're not intelligent enough to be that smug. Stop embarrassing yourself. If someone doesn't "know when they are being slapped" its more likely they're just scratching their heads and saying "is this person 12?"

I tried to be as nice and supportive as possible in my posts. You seem to think that me telling people to rock their local gigs, don't beat themselves up, give something back to the younger generation, and to thank god for the opportunity to play is mean spirited and warrants picking a fight. Just do yourself a favor and take up coin collecting. Then you'd have something to show for your efforts.

I WILL have a nice day because I am comfortable in who I am and do not resent those in this world who were fortunate (and sometimes even unfortunate) enough to find great success in music. I respect them and offer them my support for sharing their beautiful and sometimes not so beautiful art with us. You should find a better way of ending your posts when you mistakenly think you've made a viable point.

You said that a list of bands that suck doesn't prove anything...

well it sorta does mike because that list of bands that suck (according to your subjective opinion) are the entertainers that the general music buying public deemed most worthy to spend their money on. But what does billboard know? They've only been charting music success for decades.

By the way, Bonnie Raitt was playing allongside and cutting tracks with blues legends like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters when she was still in college. Do you ever fact check anything before you say it? You make it very easy to prove your arguments to be uninformed at best.

keep on "biotch slapping"

#8608 by mistermikev
Thu May 17, 2007 1:01 pm
.......................................yawn

if ya got anything good back there go ahead and break it out now...

..........................yawn

-lets go ahead and compare what you said and what you now say you said shall we?

If you're middle aged or geriatric, then you have a very slim chance to achieve any real success as a performer in the popular music business (unless you allready have.) Be happy with your Saturday night gig or your Friday night Session player job and thank god for having the opportunity to do something you love. Give back to the younger generations whenever possible by teaching or guiding them. Just don't beat yourself up because you're 50 and pretty much have zero chance at success beyond the local gigs that bairly pay for the gas it took to drive there. If your idea of rocking is to put on a good show at Joe's fish and crab shack...then rock on old timer! If your idea of rocking is being on the mtv ...you're better off rocking a chair.

I tried to be as nice and supportive as possible in my posts. You seem to think that me telling people to rock their local gigs, don't beat themselves up, give something back to the younger generation, and to thank god for the opportunity to play is mean spirited and warrants picking a fight.

-personally I think you sound ever so much more benevolent in the second one but that's just my OPINION.

....................yawn
.............................yawn

-perhaps you could sing 'rock a bye baby' and rub my belly too?

#8615 by mistermikev
Thu May 17, 2007 2:13 pm
oh yea almost forgot...
HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8657 by bluesman25
Fri May 18, 2007 12:43 am
Whatever gets you thru the night Mike!

You quoted what I said...then you quoted what I said I said...which was the same and somehow this is supposed to prove a point of some sorts? Just stop the bleeding man before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

There's ways you can find help for sense of humor deficiency though. The "rocking a chair" joke just went over your head. Anybody of any age could apreciate that and find the humor in it. I can assure you that there was nothing mean spirited in those statements. If you couldn't understand that then its your own fault. Shall I start tapping my foot again like the last topic to keep you in time? Your lights are on Mike but nobody's home....and cover your mouth when you yawn. Nobody wants to smell your bigmac breath.

Maybe you should be informing me on whats funny since you're the clown that everyone is laughing at...

-or-

Maybe when I rub your belly and sing rockabye baby, I can also explain how to use the "edit" button so you don't have to look like an idiot by making consecutive posts. (Thank you, I'm here all week.)

*tap tap tap*

God I hope bandmix deletes my account for this.

#8658 by mistermikev
Fri May 18, 2007 1:41 am
Wow...
you require thirty lines to respond to three sentences?

................yawn.

bigmac breath - hehehehe, you are really trying?
Have I really got you resorting to name calling?

The "rocking a chair" joke just went over your head. Anybody of any age could apreciate that and find the humor in it.

-are you explaining yourself here... almost as if you felt the need to?

.................yawn

boy I just can't match wits with you... but then...
you seem to be stumbling to match wits with yourself.

#8660 by mistermikev
Fri May 18, 2007 1:59 am
bluesman, your not gonna call me poopy butt on your next post are you?

#8668 by bluesman25
Fri May 18, 2007 3:32 am
MrMikeV wrote: The "rocking a chair" joke just went over your head. Anybody of any age could apreciate that and find the humor in it.

-are you explaining yourself here... almost as if you felt the need to?

No...I was explaining you

*tap tap tap*

MrMikeV wrote:bluesman, your not gonna call me poopy butt on your next post are you?

Muscle man is better. At least the bigmac comment convinced you to change the profile pic.

We all thank you for that...

#8674 by mistermikev
Fri May 18, 2007 11:17 am
Yeah, I changed the pic cause my fragile ego couldn't stand another brutal tongue lashing from you.

Your such a bright young man... did you limit your posting to two sentences just for me?

#8709 by bluesman25
Sat May 19, 2007 1:17 am
MrMikeV wrote:Yeah, I changed the pic cause my fragile ego couldn't stand another brutal tongue lashing from you.

Darn right you did.

MrMikeV wrote:Your such a bright young man... did you limit your posting to two sentences just for me?

Actually yes... its because you seem to have problems with reading comprehension.

Wow Mike...your first post where I agreed with everything you said. We're making real progress here!

#8711 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Sat May 19, 2007 1:38 am
What was the original post again....?

the memory ain't what it used to be. I remember leaving to play "Blowing in the Wind" for the folks at the retirement home and when I came back here, it's a whole different subject.

The only thing worse than grumpy old men are grumpy old musicians...

Make peace already !!

#8713 by bluesman25
Sat May 19, 2007 2:19 am
I'm for that. I'll gladly accept any olive branch Mike wishes to extend. I apologise to everyone on this thread for allowing this to go on so long. Nobody should have to read this stuff.

#8725 by mistermikev
Sat May 19, 2007 1:56 pm
This fight was over before it began (somebody wanna let bluesman in on that?)

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8737 by Vocals & Bass
Sun May 20, 2007 1:55 am
Yeah Bluesman, SDavis22 started it All !! :roll: Just kidding Davis! SDavis22 is one of my friends here at BandMix. All of you guys are the greatest !! {Just jokeing around Bluesman} No one ever takes me very serious..... Hell......I dont even take myself serious :!: ' Like your new Pic. MrMikeV.' But I would still like to see a pic. of who I am talking to from time to time Brother. :wink: Rock On Everyone!! 8) .

#8738 by bluesman25
Sun May 20, 2007 2:19 am
Thanks for conceding defeat mike. That's very adult of you.