This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8602 by bluesman25
Thu May 17, 2007 6:37 am
Learning to play like John Mayer is more about studying his style and technique than learning the songs note for note.

If you want a leg up on that style of guitar playing then check out Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Go to Youtube and search for SRV live at the el mocambo. Sit back and Enjoy!

If you'd like pointed in the right direction or have any questions on achieving a better understanding of these techniques, I would be glad to help!

#8620 by thedanband
Thu May 17, 2007 2:52 pm
I too would love to learn how to John Mayer, he has quite an interesting jazz combined with rock and some fingerstyle in there somwhere too.

http://www.livelocals.net

#8656 by bluesman25
Fri May 18, 2007 12:40 am
Same advice to you then, check out SRV on youtube. You can learn LOADS of licks just watching him play. That's basically how guys like Mayor and myself adopted that sound and technique.

If you're interested in building your gear or your technique to properly achieve the tone, I'd be happy to go into as much detail as you're willing to listen to. Nobody likes a know it all so I'll stick to just answering any questions you may have. If need be I can record samples of some things to work on for you and post them on here allong with a sort of "how to" guide on playing the stuff I'm demonstrating...please don't ask me to tab out a bunch of songs for you though! :D

A good idea also is to check out Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Los Lonely boys: live in Austin Texas. They aren't quite on par with Stevie Ray, but are good examples that just about anybody can achieve that great biting Texas twang that's become so popular in today's music.

Good luck!
#8715 by fisherman bob
Sat May 19, 2007 3:06 am
Most every famous contemporary blues/rock guitarist has given huge credit to Freddie King. Especially check out Freddie King's instrumental songs (Hideaway, Stumble , Sidetracked, Washout,etc.). You'll get an encyclopedia of bluesy licks with one artist. Freddie King was one of the all-time greats who died way too young. Later...

#8718 by bluesman25
Sat May 19, 2007 4:46 am
I DO assume everyone is referring to JM's trio stuff. The guitar stuff.

Surely nobody's wanting to learn how to play...your body is a wonderland.