This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

What is your religion?

39%
N/A
N/A
34%
27%

#83738 by Sir Jamsalot
Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:11 pm
neanderpaul wrote:Wow Chris I never would have thought somebody else here would be on the same page with me about instruments. Ironically I recently heard about a Presbyterian church who sang only psalms. A member of that church commented on one of our Church of Christ A Capella song videos. It was new to me then.

It looks to that the psalms hymns and spiritual songs in Colossians 3:16 covers the uninspired songwriters work.

Would you happen know the church name and city? I believe there are only 3 churches in the OPC denomination. Not sure about the PCA, PC USa and what have you. I wonder if I know the fellow. Small world you know ;) Oh, and the RPCNA is an exclusive ps/instrument only denomination too.

Chris

#83746 by Chippy
Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:32 pm
"I am not a number, I am a free man." (The Prisoner #6).
Last edited by Chippy on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

#83764 by Chippy
Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 pm
"I am not a number, I am a free man." (The Prisoner #6).
Last edited by Chippy on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

#83815 by bundydude
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:17 am
sansoulheil said;
I still have to laugh when I hear or read people whom down Christians or Christianity as being hippocrites. And then claim they understand Christianity.

I have'nt been on in a while and happened across this. I must reply; I have a feeling that this was in response to my post, thats cool, thats the point. Do I understand christianity? I believe so...I happen to be a college educated individual, whose studies focused on religion of all types and during all times. In no way am I or was I trying to attack the christian faith, but, will do so now (sorry to those who truly believe, follow and understand that which they speak of...my fault). Lets face it, christianity is the one and only true way...hmmm....And nothing I could say would have any merit. Besides, it's their job to knock on my door and inform me of my evil ways, to shout at me as I walk down the street and to judge me without even knowing me...Nice religion! Sorry if I'm coming off as somewhat disturbed by this...I am.

Funny thing how a book of mythology became a religion...is'nt it?

#83816 by Ryan_Strain
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:28 am
bundydude wrote:sansoulheil said;
I still have to laugh when I hear or read people whom down Christians or Christianity as being hippocrites. And then claim they understand Christianity.

I have'nt been on in a while and happened across this. I must reply; I have a feeling that this was in response to my post, thats cool, thats the point. Do I understand christianity? I believe so...I happen to be a college educated individual, whose studies focused on religion of all types and during all times. In no way am I or was I trying to attack the precious christian faith, because lets face it, christianity is the one and only true way...hmmm....And nothing I could say would have any merit. Besides, it's their job to knock on my door and infrom me of my evil ways, to shout at me as I walk down the street and to judge me...Nice religion! Sorry if I'm coming off as somewhat disturbed by this...I am.

Funny thing how a book of mythology became a religion...is'nt it?

You're over-exaggerating because of your pre-conceived anger and hatred towards Christians. You're mad at them, yet you don't know why.

When was the last time a Christian...a REAL Christian...YELLED at you?

When was the last time a Christian came up to you on the street and JUDGED you for no reason?

When was the last time a Christian knocked on your door, pointed their finger at you and yelled "YOU ARE EVIL!"?

Do I understand christianity? I believe so...

You don't...You just THINK you do. If you did, then you would be a Christian :)

#83884 by Prevost82
Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:47 pm
"You don't...You just THINK you do. If you did, then you would be a Christian"

Nope not into being a lemming :lol:

#83897 by CraigMaxim
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:50 pm
bundydude wrote:
Lets face it, christianity is the one and only true way...hmmm....And nothing I could say would have any merit. Besides, it's their job to knock on my door and inform me of my evil ways, to shout at me as I walk down the street and to judge me without even knowing me...Nice religion! Sorry if I'm coming off as somewhat disturbed by this...I am.

Alot of Christians tend to forget a few things...

1) The word "Gospel" means "Good News". We are to share the GOOD NEWS with others. Some may justify it as, good news, that you can be saved from a fiery hell (although a literal hell is a metaphor clearly) but starting off with a finger in someone's face, and a "You are going to hell!!!!" is not a "good newsy" way of striking up a conversation, to share good news with someone.

2) More often than not, when Jesus used harsh and condemning language, he used it on the people OF HIS OWN RELIGION. The religionists, the Pharisees, who were lofty and PROUD of themselves: "I know the truth and you don't! You're going to hell and I'm not!!!"

Especially that last one.

If only a good percentage of these fundamentalists, would realize how ALIKE they are, to the Pharisees. They think God really cares more about single sins, than He does about a person's life, and heart and soul, but THEY ARE WRONG!

What did Jesus do when they brought the adulterous woman to Him?

He turned it on the crowd first:

"He who is without sin, throw the first stone!"

And Jesus just drew on the ground, calm and undisturbed. When He looked back up, He said:

"Woman, where are thy accussers? Does no one condemn you?"

And she responded "No, they have all left"

And what does Jesus say? Here it comes...

"NEITHER DO I ACCUSE THEE"

And He tells her to "Go and sin no more."

Look at that exchange for a moment. It is not that God is completely unconcerned about "acts of sin" of course not, Jesus DOES tell the woman "Go and sin no more"

But it is like a parent with a child, when they have committed an offense and you have some compassion on them in spite of it "Son, why on Earth did you do that? Look at me... Don't ever do that again, ok?"

What we should recognize is the value placed on sin, by religionists as contrasted by God, when expressed through the New Testament.

Jesus was MORE CONCERNED about the woman's accussers, who wanted to stone her to death for the sin of adultery she was caught in, than He was over the woman's sin itself.

They were within the law. But Jesus was wanting to direct them to a HIGHER LAW, then the one they SAW WRITTEN in their sacred writings. Jesus wanted to bring them toward the LAW OF LOVE.

And Jesus was MAGNIFICENT "INTELLECTUALLY" as well, like He always was, when the religionists tried to TRAP Him. That is why they brought the woman to Jesus in the first place, was to TRAP Him. They thought that He would either have to tell them "Let her go" (cause He had been preaching love and forgiveness) and in that case, they could accuse him of not following the RULES of CHURCH (wink to Paul) and they thought the only other option, was that He agreed with them, that the law MUST be OBEYED, and He would have to tell the people to stone her to death since it was GOD'S LAW after all, commanding this. In that case, they could then accuse Jesus of not really being loving and forgiving after all, they would be proving to the people... "See? Why do you need this Jesus? He is all talk. When it comes down to it, He will follow the law, just as our accepted leaders do now!"

But they didn't count on Jesus' brilliance.

He accomplished what He wanted... Forgiveness of the woman. Saving her life. And He did this WITHOUT them being able to stone Jesus to death for NOT following the law.

He simply told them:

"He who is without sin, throw the first stone."

BRILLIANT!!!!

He did not tell them to STONE THE WOMAN.

He did not tell them DO NOT stone the woman.

He put it back on them, basically saying "You are correct, stoning her is the law, so whoever is without sin, please, you be the one to throw the first stone at her."

Now, if anyone were to throw a stone at her, he would be proclaiming himself to be perfect, before the crowd, and without sin himself. No one would do that. And they went away from the scene, one by one, until none were left, but Jesus and the woman.

How beautiful a story this is. How clever a response from Jesus, to PROTECT this woman from the religionists, but also, how sad, that the religionists of today, read this story and cannot see themselves in it, while they PROUDLY uphold meaningless rules, believing this pleases God. They would have been the ones back then, demanding for Jesus to stone the woman, because sin just OUTRAGES them so much.

It seems to outrage them, MORE than it outrages God, if Jesus attitudes and actions in the Bible are an indication.

#86881 by CraigMaxim
Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:55 am
DaBu wrote:http://www.theendofreligion.org/

I read the sample pages on Amazon.com... very interesting. Mirrors many of the things I have said on this forum and believed for many years now, although I have found some error, even among the few sample pages offered. But it looks worth the read. I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for the link!

#87167 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:57 pm
"Am I Evil, yes I am for I am man". lol

#87173 by gbheil
Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:08 pm
Like the way they edit my post. Taking out the the part that says.
WE ARE HIPACRITES just like everyone else.
I am no different than the rest of my fellow men because I am a Christian. Just forgiven, by the blood of Jesus, as a free gift, not by my works or my words.
Nothing more. Nothing less.
I dont have to knock on your door. You have heard. And you have chosen to not believe.
You will know I was right someday.
Just hope it's not too late when you come to full understanding.

#87179 by CraigMaxim
Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:29 pm
Jesus isn't a good luck charm George.

You accepted door number 1 so you will be in paradise and other people chose door number 2 so they will burn in neverending fire.

Yet you were not distinguishable from the one who picked the wrong door?

Hopefully you don't really believe this.

The Bible is pretty clear that the evidence of your salvation is in your changed life. You should be different than others. God in your heart MUST make you more loving, or He is not truly in your heart.

This doesn't mean we are IMMUNE to mistakes.

It does mean that God dwelling in you should be noticeable to others, or quite simply, God is powerless to change anything.

#87185 by gbheil
Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm
Yes Craig, I over simplify perhaps, but it is quite simple.
And no, I did not choose door #1. He chose me.
He chose to die for me, because he knew I was not able to stay within the Law. His blood is my salvation. Not my love, not my works, not my words, not even my "act" of acceptence. These should reflect the light of Christ in my life through the Holy Spirit. But even at their brightest, they are but rags for I am imperfect.
Christ is the answer. What was the question?
Christians are not, I am not, better than anyone else.
There is no gradient for sin. For me to steal a pack of gum from Wal-Mart is just as great a sin as Stalins murder of millions. The end result of unforgiven sin is the same therefore sin is the same.
Would I burn for one eternity and he for two?
No man cometh before the Father but through the Son.
Jesus suffered and died for me.
I need no other doctrine.

#87195 by CraigMaxim
Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:08 am
sanshouheil wrote:
Jesus suffered and died for me.
I need no other doctrine.

Yeah bro, I am not coming from a "what YOU need" perspective, as much as I am coming from a "what GOD needs (or wants)" perspective.

Now that you have a "get out of hell free card" in your pocket, is that it?

I mean, I don't know which branch of Christianity you belong to, so I don't know your theology, as to whether you believe ALL FOUR GOSPELS which ALL contain the "Great Commission" namely, Christ's command to preach the Gospel throughout the world to others.

If you DO believe the Gospels, then you believe that you should be a witness to others. Saying you are not any better (which comes across more like: "I don't sin any less, or love any more, than anyone else") is not a very strong witnessing technique, if true of you.

You know?

Witnessing is most powerful, from the WITNESS of a changed life. And a changed heart. One MUST be able to recognize God's love within you, as opposed to how, someone WITHOUT God's love in their hearts would function.

But I know that God has changed your heart, because you have generously offered to pray for many here, and you have shared that you would be KILLING people rather than just "hating" them, were it not for Christ's love. :-)

So, I know that there is evidence of God in you.

But I guess I was commenting on this, so that there was not confusion among others, who don't know God's love and forgiveness. In other words... From their perspective, If becoming a Christian makes someone no better than anyone else, why would they become one?

People want to know what their involvement in something means. Will it answer needs I have? Will it make me a better person? Will it bring me peace or joy? Will it help the world?

If there is no positive result from something, many would wonder "Why do it then?"

Last edited by CraigMaxim on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.