This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8539 by crsmerritt
Wed May 16, 2007 4:46 am
I just wanted to know what you guys think about simple drumming. I'm fairly simplistic but I do try to be a little more technical. My rudiments on the snare drum are getting to be insanely technical but all in all I really just enjoy a four piece kit with hats, ride, and crash.

#8541 by gexclamationpoint
Wed May 16, 2007 5:06 am
depends on the genre, really. simple drumming can be really powerful in the right hands.

#8543 by Vocals & Bass
Wed May 16, 2007 6:55 am
Thats what it is all about in my opinion. Bonham for Zep. showed simplicity as a basic form. The problem I see with most of the drummers Ive tried out for bands is to much overplay, the same can apply to bass players. To have a good foot [as to say] snare & high hat is my first concern with a drummer in our band. But like every other talented musician. You have it, or you dont. If you have the gift of talent, its natural. I am sure that most good drummers would advise one to master the basics first. 'We want the funk, Gotta have that funk".

#8548 by SDavis22
Wed May 16, 2007 11:31 am
Ringo Starr! Maureen Tucker!

#8551 by mistermikev
Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 pm
Vocals & Bass wrote:Thats what it is all about in my opinion. Bonham for Zep. showed simplicity as a basic form. The problem I see with most of the drummers Ive tried out for bands is to much overplay, the same can apply to bass players. To have a good foot [as to say] snare & high hat is my first concern with a drummer in our band. But like every other talented musician. You have it, or you dont. If you have the gift of talent, its natural. I am sure that most good drummers would advise one to master the basics first. 'We want the funk, Gotta have that funk".

v&b - I love you man, but I have to dissagree. Not a drummer here but I don't know if I'd say his style(bohnam) was simple. Perhaps on 'when the levee breaks' there is some simplicity, but look at "the ocean" or "the immigrant song" whole lotta little stuff going on in the background.
I do hear what yer sayin tho... the great ones often know when to use simplicity and no when to throw out a fill - the others just throw fills everywhere!

#8554 by Vocals & Bass
Wed May 16, 2007 1:32 pm
Yeah, I agree 100% with you Brother. Bonham just had the ability to do things that were awsome. Alot of drummers that Ive come across, Ive seen that some are good at, Say for instance, Rock. But when it comes to country music, Their lost. A drummer set in with us once & the song was 'Sunspot Baby'- Bob Seger. And it was obvious from the start that he was a Metal drummer. So I simply adapted to his style, And I will have to say. Ive never done & more than likely will never do a metal version of that song again. That was really different. And it was kinda fun at the time. It could have been a complete disaster.

#8560 by mistermikev
Wed May 16, 2007 2:32 pm
hmmm, metal version of hollywood nights...
-nothin wrong with your own personal spin on a great tune...
I used to do a 'smashing pumpkins' version of neil diamonds shilo...
yeah it's hard to find someone who can do many dif styles... I hear ya htere.

#8594 by The KIDD
Thu May 17, 2007 2:54 am
Hey Gang,

Yeah , Id like to have heard what that drummer did to "sunspot baby" :lol:
That tune has a specific feel..Gotta really be aware of that gtr riff and bass pattern...Over the years doing session work vrs road work my mood and feel differ...In the studio less was more most of the time...Had to fight the temptation of wanting to "funk"it up or fill it up...I go back and listen to my playin a tune like "Evil Ways" in 77 and have to laugh...All the garbage I used to put in...g made a great point...Simple drumming with good dynamics playin on the top or back of the beat (what ever the tune calls for) can speak volumes...I only have 5 toms now , used to have 7.. Alot of the CR I play has the big melodic fills...A good drummer has to be a musician first , very arrangment oriented, a drummer second...

John in WV.

#8595 by Irminsul
Thu May 17, 2007 3:04 am
Did you mean a "simple"drummer? Simplistic makes it sounds like you want one that's not very smart.
#8599 by fisherman bob
Thu May 17, 2007 4:15 am
the simple yet effective bass player and drummer in The Bluefin Tuna Band. Simple and straightforward is always the way to go in the blues. Just need a cold brew and some barbecue baked beans, it doesn't get any better than that. Hopefully soon I'll upload some of our music on this site. later...fisherman bob

#8601 by bluesman25
Thu May 17, 2007 6:06 am
There's nothing untechnical about a strait up 4 on the floor groove with a nicely accented back beat.

I agree that it depends on the genre or the overall intended flavor of the project. I've played with alot of drummers who had the same faults as any other instrumentalist. In an attempt to be noticed or impress some play too much and are too heavy handed. My ideal drummer is someone who can start and stop a song at the same tempo while offering tasteful short fills that compliment the music. I respect guys like Neil Pert but don't really look for that much in a drummer. Just like most of the people that hire me as a session guitarist aren't looking for me to play like Eddie Van Halen. One should never allow that to be an excuse however for neglecting to attempt greater technical proficiency through practice, study, and most importantly listening.

#8604 by JPSalamanca
Thu May 17, 2007 8:29 am
There's a story about Stewart Copeland, who at an exhibition, told people,"Let me show what most drummers cannot do."

What he did....was play a simple 4/4 drum beat for a couple minutes.

Every song has a rhythym, and if you don't understand that rhythm, you can't move forward on learning how to play percussion. Secondly, it does depend on the chemistry of the band - when you think of Metallica, can name someone else who could possibly play drums other than Lars? On the note of simplicity, what would be Led Zeppelin's sound if it wasn't JB?

It's not just simple drum beats that are good or bad. It's how you handle them, and the context you use those drums in the band you're in.

#8605 by SDavis22
Thu May 17, 2007 9:38 am
gopher wrote:A simple drummer with consistant tempo, is worth his wieght in gold, IMO. It takes extreme discipline on drums, and bass, to just stay out of the way and lay down the groove for the sake of the overall sound. One of my favorites was always Phil Rudd of AC/DC. Just plain solid and didn't clutter things up. I never cared for Keith Moons style.........it was like a constant drum solo throughout most of the Who's songs.

What's interesting about The Who is that the lead instrument IS the drums. I think that's pretty unique - and I love Kieth Moon's style. I can't get enough of his playing on 'My Generation' from the first LP and 'I Can See For Miles' from The Who Sell Out.

#8661 by bluesman25
Fri May 18, 2007 2:15 am
Excellent points all around