This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Speakers, amps.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#75707 by The Genesis boyos
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:07 pm
hi

i'm thinking of some subs BUT my powered mixer is 4 ohms per side and my speakers are also 4 ohms so would connecting subs blow it all up ?????

i'm told subs WITH a crossover will NOT change the ohmage..is that the case?

am NOT looking to do anything more than just add subs at the mo

ta all...si

#75758 by gbheil
Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:29 pm
I am no electrician, but it would seem to me any resistance added will decrease ohm. Crossover irrelevent.

#75774 by RGMixProject
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 am
I would highly recomend get a power amp for the sub's or get subs with a amp built in. Running four 4 ohm speakers will tax your amp to the max.
#83247 by Power is Serious
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 am
qunvat wrote:hi

i'm thinking of some subs BUT my powered mixer is 4 ohms per side and my speakers are also 4 ohms so would connecting subs blow it all up ?????

i'm told subs WITH a crossover will NOT change the ohmage..is that the case?

am NOT looking to do anything more than just add subs at the mo

ta all...si

Its true that if your main speakers are rated at 4 ohms and you add 4 ohm subs to them the total load will become 2 ohms (in parallel wiring 4+4=2 or 8+8=4).

When you mention crossover you must be reffering to a passive crossover, if so the impedence or "ohms" are not effected by it and will not change the total ohms.

It would be nice if you could find a used 200 watt (or higher) per channel power amp and electronic crossover for cheap...I mean this way you're not only sending less lows to your main speakers (they can play louder and cleaner if they don't have to do deep lows) but you can seperately adjust the amount of lows going to the subs without effecting the main speakers.
...a simple used power amp -typically $200
...a simple electronic crossover -a cheap Behringer stereo 2-way for around $100