This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#45342 by racefanrob
Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:21 pm
. . . OK Y'all . . . Lynyrd Skyryrd recorded albums from 1972 to 1977 (the original entitee that is) There were five studio albums . . . and a Live LP. In 1978, MCA released the record entitled : "First and Last" which contained their very first recordings, with Ricky Medlocke as the drummer and he sang lead on "White Dove". The 1st album (we like to call "Pronounced" . . . back in the day) was accually their third attempt at an album. Second Helping was their second recording session. And when the first album came out in early 1973, "Freebird" was not on it. The Band and MCA added "Freebird" and re-released the album in July. That song was a Tribute to Duane Allman. This song has been called the greatest work of lead guitars to ever be recorded ? I believe that . . . maybe I am predjudice ? Though, when I first learned how to progress a couple of chords (bar chords I'd learned from Chuck Berry on the "Midnight Special" in 1972"), I found I could play Skynyrd by ear . . . very readily. There are a lot of harder licks to play out there ! Right up there with Lynyrd Skynyrd (in my day) AC/DC were very easy to cover. But, that would be another thread ?
. . . the first thing I picked up from Skynyrd (oddly enough) was the bass riff on "Gimme Three Steps". And my Bro . . . at the time . . . a Bassman said, "lemme see my Bass !" . . . we were one of the first bands in the Peoria area that covered Skynyrd . . . back then. A year later . . . another Bass Player . . . and another Lynyrd SKynyrd LP later . . . in my opinion, is the best licks they ever put on eight track. "Second Helping" contained some guitar work that shiver my soul. Maybe it's just me, but it's my Favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd licks of all time. Most of that album, though, the rythm of those songs were composed by Ed King. Who joined the band in 1972, as a bass player, after touring with the Blues Image ("Ride Captain Ride") for two years. In the meantime, before the release of the first LP, Leon Collins joined the band as the bass player. The first two albums (and "First and Last") Ed King composed the bass lines and on "Second Helping", Ed wrote the rythm guitar chords to "Sweet Home Alabama", "Needle and the Spoon", "Working for MCA", "Swamp Music", as well as "Poison Whiskey" from the Pronounced LP and "Railroad Song" and "Whiskey Rock-A-Roller" from "Nuthin Fancy". My favorite licks of Lynyrd Skynyrd were surely Ed King's. Especially "Working for MCA", "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Needle and the Spoon". The guitar work between King, Gary Rossington and Alan Collins were unreal. How all of them played different licks . . . but in harmony ? That is what made Lynyrd Skynyrd my all-time favorite band. They are only rivalled at the top of my chart by Creedence Clearwater Revival. But, . . . that . . . is another thread as well.

. . . what are your favorite Skynyrd licks ? Which guitarist is your favorite ; Gary Rossington, Alan Collins, Ed King, Steve Gaines ?
Mine is Ed KIng !

#45384 by fisherman bob
Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:13 am
Were there ever any BAD licks on a Skynyrd tune? The entire body of Skynyrd work is good licks. One of the all-time best bands ever in my opinion. Later...

#45389 by Shapeshifter
Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:06 am
I'm a longtime Skynyrd fan myself, but I can't really single out any particular guitar parts.

As far as the guitarists go, I think they were all amazing. I recently read an interview with Ed King and Gary Rossington, and they both talked about how much Steve Gaines had brought to the band. They were really taken back by his abilities, and it's a shame that we all never got to see him reach his potential. :(

#45451 by Andragon
Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:22 pm
I'll go with Needle and the Spoon... and.... I keep forgetting the title...
Gimme Back My Bullets :)

#45531 by JNocella
Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm
The intro to "I Know A Little" ... Totally tasty, totally Skynyrd.

#45571 by fisherman bob
Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:40 am
"I Know A Little" and "Mr. Breeze"-songs never got better than either of those tunes. The keyboards in Skynyrd are INCREDIBLE. It just ties it all in for me, very bluesy and barrelhouse playing. I can't think of anything better in the world of music.

#46685 by racefanrob
Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:04 pm
. . . "Workin' For MCA" was always my favorite Skynyrd licks . . . don't know exactly why . . . the feeling of the guitars harmonizing ?

#47365 by J-HALEY
Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:46 pm
All of them!

#47944 by racefanrob
Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:15 pm
Granted . . . all of Lynyrd Skynyrd's guitar riffs are the GREATEST ON EARTH . . . all of them. Even the later tunes with Ricky Medlock and Hughie Thomasson (may he rest in peace). These are the licks I grew to love as a teenager (back in the day). I'm just old and grey . . . and from another generation (compaired to a lot of Y'all). I am fifty-one years young, when it comes to Rock n Roll. In my time . . . I have witnessed Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana, Pete Townsend, John Fogerty, Alvin Lee, Frank Zappa, Randy Bachman, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Mark Farner, Greg Lake, Mick Box, Mick Ronson, Mick Ralphs, Mick Taylor, Donald Roeser and Eric Bloom (of Blue Oyster Cult), Joe Walsh, Gary Ritchrath, Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Alex Lifeson, Brian May, the Skynyrd guitarists, the Outlaws guitarists, the Thin Lizzy guitarists, the Black Oak Arkansas guitarists, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, Ronnie Montrose, Eddie Van Halen, Tommy Bolin, Rod Price, Angus Young . . . and so many I have forgotten to mention . . . and all the ones since 1980, even the guitarists of the Now generation. Of course, with all the recordings, . . . and sound advantages of today, this generation have far more advances than we did. I envy the ability to carry sound around in your pocket, that is usable to a musician.

. . . so all of them is a good answer. But, I am a person who feels the music, . . . and some affects me differently. Like "Simple Man" . . . that is my hardest listen. My Son loved that song. That's why it's ingraved on his stone.

#73289 by bundydude
Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:03 am
For me; On The Hunt. Always thought it would be a great song for a heavy band to cover, seems like it would lend itself well to being heavied up.

#73420 by fisherman bob
Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 am
bundydude wrote:For me; On The Hunt. Always thought it would be a great song for a heavy band to cover, seems like it would lend itself well to being heavied up.
Play ANY song ANY way you want to. Creativity is the key to music. Without creativity we're nothing bu mynah birds just mimicking what we hear...