This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#7149 by deacotiks
Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 am
A while ago, we uploaded a song entitled,"Maybe". The lyrics were written and in about a month or two, the vocals will be mixed in. We created an alternate version of the song, and we would like for you to give us any advice or pointers.

Thank you

#7185 by Irminsul
Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:34 pm
OK, my thoughts....

On the good news side, I really liked the melody and the orchestration. Nice harmonic development with your instruments. It definitely shows that you've been together long enough to develope a "voice" for yourselves.

On the down side, I thought that a few of those breaks - while creative in their own right - felt oddly out of place in the song. The bass riff at the beginning, that just hung out there like it didn't belong at all. I realize its very hard to judge without the vocals, but have you considered putting in a track as some sort of "glue" that would tie all those breaks and the main song phrase together? Perhaps a subtle percussion that is continuous throughout the song?

Overall I like your work. Please keep developing it!

#7199 by SDavis22
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:02 am
The vocals really should be added before any of us can give an accurate critique... But based on what's here, the following is my assessment:

The bass intro is too monotonous and doesn't fit with the rest of the song. The short break of silence between the bass intro and the following riff is very awkward. The main riff is repeated far too many times in the song to keep it interesting. And I think that adding the 'electronic' sound can be very dangerous to any band because it can be cheap (anyone can easily reproduce the same idea themselves) and very same-y. The first example of a great rock album incorporating electronics off the top of my head would be Radiohead's 'OK Computer' and a terrible one being anything by Linkin Park. There doesn't seem to be a structure to your song that will hold it together. There's that awkward guitar part somewhere in the middle before launching back into the main riff and repeating over and over again before closing at three and a half minutes (which seems too short and too long at the same time; too short because it's a very basic idea with no variation, and too long because it repeats one of the few ideas that are there over and over again).

You just need to work on honing your songwriting skills because this song comes across much too primitive in form.

#7381 by mistermikev
Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:15 pm
ok gave it a listen and...
the best thing it has going for it is the clean elec guitar chords in the background... turn that up and the main harmonized part should have vol turned way down... also split the harmony by panning it left and right. IMO. It would sound better floating around in the background. Crank up the bass part in the song(is it just a gtr and not an actual bass?). that is what everyone is saying is the missing cohesive part.
I do like your very unusual style. I would drop the track that has someone doing the ole 'hammerpick at the fret' routine. it just muddles up the rest. Not crazy about the intro either... I'd just do a nice fade in of the main part. Again, IMO: if you followed these steps you'd have a really nice song here.