This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6529 by Lady Rocker
Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:47 pm
Hey Kidd!! :) So, what's the name of your band?? Do you guys still come around the area??

Bluesman25...... I don't usually look through classifieds to try to find other musicians..... I'm in such a remote area up here in BFE that I figured checkin out musician's pages might give me a little edge in finding people in my surrounding area.... there isn't anyone here in my town....except my brother.... If I can find ppl..... we can form a group!

#6541 by Stareater
Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:38 pm
It's hard to find band members because people are lazy, dishonest, and have no idea of how to work in a band environment . Take a site like this one; too many people to count can't even make the effort to post a complete profile or put in any kind of contact info. Then, if you do contact somebody, they're all gung ho and then vanish without the courtesy of a phone call or e-mail after blowing off a set-up time to meet.

If you do actually meet them, it's a 50/50 shot that they're as good as they claim, into the type of music they claim they are into, or into a committed band environment at all. I've lost track of how many people I've seen put up an add screaming about how badly they want to get into a band, yet don't even respond to an e-mail. There are also a lot of one-way people out there, who want a band that will behave like drones, doing things one way with no input wanted. Kinda the 'My Way or the Highway' attitude.

Is the commercial music scene terrible? Yes, but crying about that does little good for anyone here. It's easy to sit by yourself and criticize musicians that have made good already; picking everything apart is the easiest thing in world to do. Thing is, the people you tear apart are making a living with music, and you're sitting home making fun of them on a message board. Everyone should put a better effort into making connections between musicians easier, instead of fighting with each other over nonsense. I'm starting a Yahoo group so Connecticut musicians can find each other. It's free and simple, and I'll post a link here in case anyone is interested. Why not do something like this in your own state?

#6545 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:42 pm
I hear you Brother, Just keeping a band together. Is hard, Let alone finding musicians. I have been frustrated so many times & got out of the music buisness completely. Sold everything I owned. [Guitars, amps,etc.] Hang in there Bro! Sometimes the musicians that you are looking for, Are right under your nose. {In your Area} You will find who you are looking for, That is the easy part. Keeping a band together for any length of time is, The hard part. Together one week, Looking for a replacement the next. KEEP ROCKIN ! BROTHER.

#6588 by Joe Toxic
Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 pm
8)Just keep moving forward. I started playing at ripe age of 39, it's been five years now...guitar (rythym, no leads), and bass. I'll try anythying, originals (that I don't write), covers, metal, rock, blues, selena, cumbias, R&B, country. Been in a good cover band, that broke up after three gigs, "leader" sold house, moved 90 miles away. Was in other band that played, didn't like cover's, only originals, but not enough. Formed "family" duo with me on guitar and cousin on bass with ever revolving drummers (four in a year), but we get up there, jam have funt and keep going. Now in a professional group on bass, I'm trying to learn brand new Mexican/spanish songs in addition to relearing R&B/Soul/Disco standards. It's work, but it's fun and with PAYING gigs on the Horizon, wife is a okay. Putting on a rock/mock u mentory 4/7/7 for friends and family members using a Joe Toxic (punk rock) character in good fun. Recruited a solid lead guitarist, he brought in yet another drummer, got a percussion joining on the fly, "lights" action, camera and were jamming to people from 8 days to 80 yrs old, it's fun.

#6600 by RhythmMan
Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:57 pm
Stareater, thanks for the site.

#6618 by mistermikev
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:44 pm
That's the spirit Stareater(hehe). Sorry, couldn't help myself.

#6619 by mistermikev
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:46 pm
" It's easy to sit by yourself and criticize musicians "
...but you wouldn't do that right?

#6620 by Funkriff
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:57 pm
Hey people,
I agree that finding and keeping a great band together is insanely difficult. Just remember, become an expert at your instrument, write great songs ( NOT GOOD SONGS--GREAT SONGS), keep playing out no matter how many members you have. When people hear great music they can't resist becoming a part of it. Never stop Never stop Never stop. This is life. You get one shot. When you are on your death bed, at least you know you never stopped trying. And for Christ's sake, smile. You're musicians and that's one up on 75% of the population.

#6652 by JoeyQ
Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:55 am
Bone Rattling bassist looking to join a serious band/rock/metal/classic/alternative over25 years ex..pro...owned my own band in NYC..recorded in studios..Play by ear and read music...can sing..also play rythum guitar...Looking to join a band or start mine up again....call me 305-506-1304..Joe/aka NeostaR Live in the Daytona Area
Palm Coast Florida!

It's real hard to find serious members :cry:

#6671 by Stareater
Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:01 pm
It's easy to sit by yourself and criticize musicians "
...but you wouldn't do that right?

That's the spirit Stareater(hehe). Sorry, couldn't help myself.

See? You're the perfect example of what I spoke of. Nothing of your own to add, other than drivel. Keep plugging away in the bedroom. :wink:

#6672 by mistermikev
Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:43 pm
now, now stareater, don't take it so hard. no sense of humor, eh?
I just wanted to make sure the irony of what you said wasn't lost on all these 'lazy people' in here.
while we're on the subject of irony, mr.soap-box-pants...
you don't have any music posted on your profile -what the? not you?

Now, let me placate you by adding to this intellectual conversation...
I think the reason it is so tuff to find musicians to jam with is our collective egos(guilty as charged), coupled with the point you made about most of us being flaky(guilty as charged), compounded by the fact that these day one can satisfy his/her urges to "jam" with software(guilty as charged).
Software has no ego, keeps perfect time, always shows up to practice, requires no "lugging around of equipment", and most importantly: will allow one to be a jam-nazi and dictate to all the instruments.
With that in mind... let me point you all to
www dot musiciancollaboration dot com
-great place to do "virtual jams"
and ninjam
-real time jamming with other over ip

Finally, for the record, my studio is nowhere near my bedroom.

"Take a site like this one; too many people to count can't even make the effort to post a complete profile or put in any kind of contact info. "
-stareater

#6734 by MattZito
Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:49 pm
Anybody in Las Vegas that wants to play jazz? Hancock, Miles, Coltrane etc... Gigs can be found.

[email protected]
#6741 by Jerry OUO
Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:28 am
I am looking for a good sax player with grate dissposition and personality to complete R & B projectl.

Downey/Norwalk California area.
#6744 by MattZito
Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:40 am
ANAYALATOR wrote:I am looking for a good sax player with grate dissposition and personality to complete R & B projectl.

Downey/Norwalk California area.

Ever been to Middle Earth Records?