This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6217 by Jacquee Rae
Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:32 am
Hey out there. I went and got a Lexicon Lambda with Cubase LE software as well as an SHS OM-V1 mic which I am actually so far happy with.

Anyone with similar equipment who would like to school me on how to optimize the usage of such equipment?!

Thanks again for reading.

#6236 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:54 pm
don't have the same quip but have several similar. cpl points:
IMO if yo uwant to get good at any instrument... rythm is key. set up a midi or vst track for rythm and belt away.
lexicon... is that a fx processor? if so: plug in a mic and go.
for recording I would have recommended a large diaphram mic, but a live mic will do. set up in your bathroom and belt away.
if yo uhave specific q's: fire away.

#6241 by Jacquee Rae
Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Hey Mike,

I don't know what an FX processor is, so I can't answer that. It is labeled as a desktop recording studio. I do plug the mic in and can record vocals, unfortunately when I try to listen to MP3s and sing, I get mush, well when recording; however,on playback, everything is fine! It is sooo weird.

When I purchased the equipment I was told that it was everything I would need to record at home, but with my limited knowledge... what is VST or Midi?... I appear to be a fish out of water.

Since it is made to work with your PC I thought it would be fairly simple and maybe it would be for someone who has worked with recording equipment.

What I wanted was something that I could import or play music with and sing while recording. Do I need to record vocals and then try to mix with music? Is there a way that I can listen to music and record? Do I sound like a complete idiot? I sure feel like one. LOL!

Here is a link to what I bought, if anyone has time check it out and let me know if you think I purchased the right equipment...
http://www.lexiconpro.com/ProductDetail ... roductID=8

Thanks again!

#6247 by Irminsul
Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 pm
I love CuBase. And I was a Mac snob using ProTools years before this, so that's saying something.

It was very easy to pick up and start using, the help section is great, and the results are spectacular.

#6260 by luckynuggets
Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:09 am
Has anyone ever tried Sony Soundforge? I think it's the bee's knee's.(whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

#6262 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:21 am
The guitar shop owner told me he offered this package because everyone who came in was asking for the CuBase software and this package gave them options. With the Lambda or mixer it appears it is the equivalent to, it is not as easy for me as I thought it would be.

Never heard of that Sony product. Bee's knees? Do they have knees? LOL. Maybe that is the point of the saying.

#6271 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:34 pm
ok, that is a sound card(basically). It should be "full duplex" which means you can record and playback at sm time. Perhaps you are getting a bad sound while recording because of some setting issues? Or perhaps your old sound card(the one in your computer) needs to be disabled. Hard to say for sure.

#6272 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:49 pm
I felt much the sm way when I first got in vovled with computers and music.
Midi = musical instrument digital interface... it is a format you could record in that has perfect timing, and can record "the performance" with the ability to change sounds later. EX it records that I pressed this key on this keyboard and held the note for this time length. when you play it back... it "plays" your keyboard just like you did. You can also use it to place notes on the staff in cubase/cakewalk/etc and it will "fire" the sounds of your keyboard when you hit play.
VST is a type of interface for recording software like cubase/cakewalk/etc and a VSTi is an instrument that is capable of interphasing via vst. In a nutshell you could get a VSTi such as FM7 which will work just like an actual keyboard. You plug in notes on the staff and have the "track" your working on set to output to a VSTi and it will play notes through the VSTi and come out sounding like a keyboard.
this is an oversimplification of these items, of course, but you get the idea. If you are singing over tracks that you "import" that will work just as well. It's much more unique and creative to "write yer own" in my opinion.
BTW heard yer country song... My synopsis: very strong start... at points I hear a pro quality "tone" there in your voice, but it comes and goes. I think you have potential to be a great vocalist but probably need to learn how to nail that tone throughout a song. I'm not a vocal coach or a vocalist for that matter, but I would guess that is something that practice would build the endurance to achieve. Just my honest little opinion.

#6276 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:38 pm
Hey Mike!

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and for your critique.
I really appreciate it. Without sounding like I'm making excuses, that was the first time that I actually recorded. I wanted something to post in the hopes to get exposure meeting people who would recognize my potential.

One major reason for my Lambda purchase was to get the practice and be able to play back and actually hear my weaknesses. Oh yeah and to get some better recordings posted! :) I figure what better way to relax than to be in my own home?! I can record in my PJs if I wanted to. LOL!

I want to work on originals. I have started writing lyrics, but honestly I have nothing as far as knowledge of music composition. I did realize the potential with working with loops, etc and that was another reason for the software, recording suite purchase.

I have been approached by a couple people on here to sing their originals which I am very excited about! I just need to work out the kinks in my inability to run my own equipment efficiently.

#6278 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:26 pm
AFA music knowlege... we all have to start somewhere. I recommend looking into a prog like fruity loops. What I think would work for you is the "piano-roll" style input capability. It is an alternative to the staff and allows you to "place a check mark" in boxes that represent when you want the sample to play. You have this ability in cubase. take a track, set it to output to a vsti/midi/ and go to something like "views" and select piano view to see what i mean. (cubase may come with lm8 or some other vst instruments)
You may also have a look at musicianscollab.com as they have much use for vocalist putting down on submitted tracks. The song from my profile is listed there (tho probably not your style) and is seeking vocals, might be good for practice anyway.
good luck

#6281 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm
Thank you again Mike. Did you respond to this post earlier suggesting fruity loops? Someone did cause I have had that on my list, of when I get the basics down, to research.
I checked out your profile. I can see someone with a Joe Cocker voice singing to your music. I like it a lot! I like all types of music, just prefer to sing Country.
I will check out the musiccollab.com website. Like you said, practice, practice, practice!! :)
Plus the idea of originals give me an opportunity to sing my way instead of someone else's way, well the collaboration... of me and the writer of course. :)

#6284 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:18 pm
fruity, I may have... I am a big fan of fruity. The big thing about it is it lets you take any sound file and load it up and fire it easily. You could use it to load up a drum loop, or you cuold load the individual drum set sounds and make your own loop. I have learned a lot about rythem doing the latter. also has several "built in" instruments, and several useable built in effects. btw and fx processor is simply a device or software that will add in effects like delay, chorus, echo, phase, distortion, etc. Do a google search for fruity loops or get on limewire and check out the trial version. Ease of use is a definite 10.

#6285 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:24 pm
Sweet! I am on it!

#6298 by luckynuggets
Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:59 am
Sony Soundforge is a really awesome program. It has a mastering tool, where you can add compression, dynamic eq's effects, acoustic mirroring(which simulates stereo or actually creates it) change mono to stereo vica versa, add or subtract peak levels and distorted signals, audio restoration(you can clean up a crappy recording or your favorite song from a vinyl record) and much much more. It's really cool if you get a chance check it out! Oh yeah you can also convert music into just about any format (mp3, mp2, wav, whatever) and the kbps rate which is just your sound quality and how much memory a recording uses. :lol:

#6304 by Jacquee Rae
Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:49 am
Thanks Lucky!