This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6000 by gexclamationpoint
Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 pm
MrMikeV wrote:I'd just like to point out that I think the hardest thing a musician will ever do is learn to play for yourself and yourself only... strip away all the other reasons to play and see if you still have one(reason to play)...
how good you are has little to do with the twisted popularity contest that is the music industry today. don't take my word for it... listen.
The only one listening to vai: guitar players.

there are more aspects to talent than just technical competence and ugly guitars.

#6013 by mistermikev
Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:28 pm
don't get me wrong: vai is by no means my fav(currently john scofield). I just point him out because the average listener cannot relate to what he is doing... despite the fact that he is among an acknowleged "top 10" of "great guitarists". Les Claypool is another master of his instrument... but far from mainstream.
Still, having said that, inevitably someone will chime back in with a comment like "I think the guy from metallica is the greatest guitarist because x". So, no matter how good you are, how good you think you are, or how good someone else thinks you are... we each have our own special voice that makes us unique - no one else sounds like me or you. So enjoy your voice no matter where it falls in that hierarchy of good or not good. Let the fans who like you enjoy your voice as well.
In all fairness, I don't think vai is all tech skill either. "Sisters(Passion and Warfare)" for example, requires little technical "Know how" and is still one of the best guitar pieces ever (IMO).
AND: his guitars aren't ugly! Well, ok, that root beer jem was bad, and the heart-guitar... UGLY, but the floral print jem - instant classic.(I own one so perhaps I'm bias)

#6085 by luckynuggets
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:08 am
I feel I play for myself I enjoy writing and playing. I'm gonna say I'm pretty good. You tell me I have a couple tunes on my profile any input would be appreciated! By the way I'm not a G3 fan not into the real technical guitar playing, but I did like Vai's Passion album. His guitars are ugly though. To each his own "keep 'a' rockin" 8)

#6147 by mistermikev
Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:36 pm
ok, perhaps they are ugly, but have you ever played one? I would go so far as to say the creative 5way switch wiring(splits the bridge and or neck in position 2 and 4 respectively) coupled with the well matched set of dimarzios (on original jems) is the first great innovation in guitar sounds since the lp or the strat. It is the first guitar to come out with a completely original sound, but able to fit in like a strat or paul. I have guitars w p90s, minibuckers, rails, etc and few can match the versitility of my jem. Love the wide neck feel, too. then again there are few guitars I don't like... I'll take a paul, a prs, a strat, a tele, a v, a dinky, a hamer... the list goes on and on. So, what guitfiddle are you enjoying?

#6167 by luckynuggets
Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:57 pm
No I have not played one. They aren't really my style I love Huge strings and a phat neck. The easier and slimmer a guitar is to play the more I have a hard time playing it. Right now I have a '91 amerstd strat it's been modified with a lace sensor pickup in the neck pos. and is wired with a switch that flips it in and out of phase and another switch that combines the pickups into different humbucking configurations. I also play a Gibson nighthawk which I like verymuch even though they never really were a big hit. It's very versatile it can be jazzy, rough, bluesy, or twanged out. I haven't checked out your profile yet so I'll look at it right after I write this. 8)

#6207 by mistermikev
Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:31 pm
hmm, gotta love a strat. i've used lace sensors... but I found that I always went back to the std single coil. So my strat has a push/pull pot that brings in an extra bridge pickup I have mounted under the pickgaurd and "muted" by tape. when engaged it gives me a single coil w/o the hum... but I still primarily use pos 2 and 4.
love the nighthawk. do you still have the obls in it? obls were a great p/u. The nighthaw is a club neck tho... one thing i've found tho... I play dif on dif necks. on my es295 (super club) I tend to play chords and I stick to blues riffs, on my carvin or my jem I play more scales and rarely stay in one position. I def prefer the jem but I have 13 dif guitars for a reason: each one has dif feel and sound. all 4 now.

#6214 by luckynuggets
Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:51 am
Yo dude, just put a new song on my profile. Tell me what you think of the tone. It's my strat through a ts9 into my sundown. :lol:

#6234 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:38 pm
I'll have to get on that 2nite... no winamp at work. ts9... you like all the wrong ibanez stuff(just kidding). what amp you overdriving with it?
I would post but if I'm gonna post I'll do it on musician collab... I'd like to get someone to provide real drum tracks for a few of my songs... too lazy to get em up there tho... soon enough. anywho

#6235 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:45 pm
oops, sundown a. haven't heard that name in a while. Is it tube? I play a 2120 linked to a halfler t3 through a class a tube pwr amp into twin 2.12 celestian cabs. I often setup a 2120 patch with digital overdrive to drive the ins on my t3... that's my "O.D. + tubes" sound. Been thinkin' snagging a matchless head for my 15" fender blue label cab... but I sure don't need any more wattage. perhaps an old champ instead.

#6238 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:18 pm
actually was able to hear gotta and two others. not sure which is using ts9 but def heard a phaser and then a wha wha.
Here's what I would want to be told:
-nice mix, clear groove laid down
-solo work is not bad... spice it up by breaking away from pentatonic and throwing some less "safe" tones in there.
-guitar tone: fits the mix and genre well but very much a 70's fuzz sound. IMO I'd roll off some gain on the top(20%).
Don't take any of this the wrong way - it's all meant to be constructive.
thanks
mv

#6252 by luckynuggets
Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:50 pm
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty much going for the 70's fuzz sound, it's just what I like. I will spice up some more but I felt the songs called for simple. I feel simple is better unless you've got something that feeds from being torn a new one and likes it. What is your favorite tonic.

#6255 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:26 pm
hacker shor weiss...
tonic... I like all twelve... it is the chords they are played against that inspires me the most.
here me out on this. if you take yer key, lets say a. say yer playing a minor pentatonic
a minor has notes: a b c d e f g a
a penta tonic would have: a c d e g
a phrygian would have notes: a bflat c d e f g a
hybrid scale(phyrgian pentatonic)... a bflat c d e g
just one option. adds a little uniqueness to the whole deal.
a lydian: a b c# d# e f# g# a
carry this idea out with a mixolydian scale and get: a c d d# e g -ring a bell anyone?
so why not a c c# d d# e g g#?
too close to chromatic... depends how ya use it. anywho, enough of my blabbering.

#6259 by luckynuggets
Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 am
I am familiar with all of the modes and such. I'm only asking you if you have a favorite. for example Jerry garcia had the mixolydian, Zappa was partial to the phrigyan and Ionian, Santana into more the dorian. I like them all to but primarily I'm a blues player so I enjoy playing the pentatonic with minor variations her and there.

#6268 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:30 pm
you threw me off with the tonic... fav mode... hmm, guess I'm partial to aeolian. I finally posted a song btw. Had to cut off the begining and had to cut off the end a few times... but finally got it to fit on here. It's a terrible mix with synthetic drums that are horrible, but I always liked the way the bassline fit over the guitar parts. The guitar part is my es295 through my amp and a direct box. Needs some compression but a good tone IMO.

#6295 by luckynuggets
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 pm
Sounds good. Now don't take this the wrong way. But that could be the theme song for Beavis & Butthead the yuppie years! ha What did you use to record it, the fidelity's pretty good.