This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#62428 by NancyJohnson
Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:31 am
I walked from my old band last Autumn (creative differences...now there's a first), but I've been keeping busy, had a couple of jams, done a bit of teaching, upgraded some gear. I've been looking for a band for the last three months or so and have advertised in the usual places.

While I wasn't expecting the phone to metaphorically ring off the hook, I have been a little dismayed with progress in finding a like-minded set of individuals.

I seem to be at that uncomfortable age where it's becoming more and more apparent that writing original material cedes to the dreaded covers/pipe'n'slippers band route and I'm wondering whether it's even worth bothering any more.

I've been playing since my mid-teens, I had my little stab at stardom about twenty years ago and have been playing ever since.

So anyway, there you have it. Nothing conclusive. Just a solid bassist looking for something with a bit of energy twenty mile radius from Reading, Berkshire.

<sigh>

Thanks for reading.
P

#62432 by philbymon
Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:30 pm
Maybe, if you're having that much trouble finding ppl of like-mind, you should change your mind a bit.

Then, once you've established yourself as the most integral part of any given project, take total control & force them all to bend to your will....muahahahahaha!

I feel your pain. Nobody ever wants to do what I wanna do, either. I think it's cuz I'm sorta all over the place, esp musically. I've been told I'm too eclectic. I don't care. "I yam what I yam," to quote Popeye. P'raps I should just join up with 5 or 10 bands of different genres & let 'em work out my schedule between them.

I know that none of this helps, but I feel like bitchin' this morning, too.

I"m done now.

Have a nice day.

:)

#62448 by RhythmMan
Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:28 pm
Hi, Nancy.
Nancy - I don't know if you're writing this for a friend, or not. The profile is for a guy, not a girl.
Philbymon said that if you can't find people who like your music, - that you should change your mind about what you play.
Nahhh . . .
- I couldn't find people to do my music for quite a while, either.
But I stuck to my guns - and so should you.
Maybe it took me a couple of years . . . but it was worth the wait.
And in that same time, I wrote and copyrighted dozens of new songs, and performed them in public as solo instrumentals . . .
People heard me.
Now I'm part of the 'Alan Bradley Group, and the members are a great bunch of people to work with.
And 90% of the songs we play are my originals.
Keep doing what you want to do. And get your music out there.
A three month wait is nothing . . .

#62472 by philbymon
Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:01 pm
Um...RM? I was bein' facetious...

#62496 by NancyJohnson
Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:06 pm
Nancy Johnson was an old band I was in. Long story. You heard of the photographer Gregory Crewdson? I was at an exhibition of his in Hoxton, London. Most of his work is off large format negatives blown up to maybe 16'x8'.

One piece at the exhibition really grabbed my attention - it was of a woman sitting at a dresser surrounded by open pill-bottles. Every bottle was prescribed to Nancy Johnson. I wrote the name down, then the band came later. I own the co.uk domain and use it as a username once in a while.

Here's another one. Universal Studios, Florida, maybe fifteen years ago. The Kongfrontation ride. Loads of people had done graffiti over the walls in the queuing area...maybe twenty feet up, someone has written 'The Irvines Are Back' in a marker. Wrote that down, used that too!

In answer to everyone, I'm unlikely to jack it all in, but this is a particularly irritating period...I want to be back in a band, but sadly no one is biting right now.

Best
P

#62499 by gbheil
Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:16 pm
Be encouraged my friend. A year is but a day, or some such BS.
My point being, now your on Bandmix. I built up our band here. Took a lot of searches E mails phone calls and auditions but it happened.
Dont't give up, and Never give in !!!!!!

#62522 by UKyank
Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:10 am
Well to bad you are all the way across the bloody country or I would jam with you. Keep your head and the search up!

#62616 by NancyJohnson
Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 am
I visit Partysounds pretty regularly (has anyone actually jammed with Tim Owens I wonder?). I got my old gig through that site. The site is a bit of a mess, but it works. Credit to the guy who set it up.

Cheers
P

#63258 by septictank
Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:39 pm
I f*@kin tried to put a f*@kin band together here and they all f*@kin told me to f*@k off...Said i f*@kin swore to f*@kin much :shock: I always thoughtthat's f*@kin what you did in f*@kin music :shock: :shock:

Yep ...f*@kin all of them...including you Philimoanio You even told me to f*@k off the USA forum back to my " f*@kin little island!!" NASTY MAN!!

Well Moanie old Philly billy ...What ya f*@king doing here :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Lovely bloke really.. just moans a lot ....OY Philly XXXXX for ya little old head :shock: :shock: :twisted:

OH have band and f*@kin rocking!!!...Gumtree rules dudes :D

#63376 by ratsass
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:23 pm
septictank wrote:I f*@kin tried to put a f*@kin band together here and they all f*@kin told me to f*@k off...Said i f*@kin swore to f*@kin much :shock: I always thoughtthat's f*@kin what you did in f*@kin music :shock: :shock:

Jeepers, Septic. Do you kiss your mom with that mouth? :o

Oh, sh*t. I've done it now. Now he's gonna tell me what he does to MY mom with that mouth. :( :oops: :roll: :D

#63381 by septictank
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:32 pm
OYYY less of that :shock: Ratsass...You're getting to f*@kin sound like that f*@kin gutter f*@kin mouth Crips...Now i could tell ya a f*@kin story or two about f*@kin what i@ve done in that f*@kin mouth....GLUG GLUG GLUG :twisted:

#63385 by philbymon
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:39 pm
Npw THERE's a tale that's bound to put you off your feed!

Septic - you should open a weight-loss center! Just sell CD's of you talking! You'll make a million pounds as your clients lose theirs!

#63393 by septictank
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm
F*@kin right Philly...It's called the Sperm Whale diet..I'll keep putting sperm in your f*@kin mouth and you can f*@kin wail all ya f*@kin like..I ain't stopping till It's coming outa ya f*'kin nostrils :twisted:

#63395 by Andragon
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:52 pm
haha sick much?