This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#59993 by Gezz
Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:38 pm
HEY,

Dont know what the standard is as i have never had a gig nor been to one (Except red hot chillies), so dont know where to start or what the standard is out there.

please help (Or listen to my tracks),

cheers gez

#59998 by ted_lord
Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:46 pm
doesn't sound to half bad to me but I haven't gotten anywhere nor do I think that I'm going to have the chance to really do anything, good luck though

#60038 by Andragon
Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:26 pm
Well, first, do you get stage fright? Have you ever performed in front of family/friends? Make sure you're comfortable first.

Now, gigs aren't the easiest thing to get it. So, start by frequently going to open mics and stuff like that to get yourself out there.
Then visit coffee shops, bars, etc. and see how the music's hangin there.
Make friends, talk to people and exchange phone numbers.
That's how it goes... sorta.

#60066 by philbymon
Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:55 pm
Well...I must say that I've fallen love with Louise' voice. Very sweet it be.

Your guitar work on this 1st song is perfectly good. Plain ol' simplistic pickin' & strummin' is perfect for this tune. Nice keyboard horns, too. Nice arrangement.

"Bright Lights" is too rappy for me, but I suppose it could be popular. It isn't often that one hears acoustic with rap. I like your arrangements so far, but I wouldn't take the recording out to an open mic, cuz it makes it too much like the hated karaoke crap. If that's you on guitar & bass, then yeah, you're "good enough" to play out.

"My Queen" actually has you singing on it? Well, hell yeah you're good enough. Your songwriting is still in the beginning stages, but you'll develop nicely if you keep at it. Learn some more chords to play with, some new patterns, & it'll get better as you go.

On whether or not you are ready to play in front of ppl, I have to say that I think you've got the chops. Do ya have the nads? There are gonna be die-hard rockers &/or rappers out there that dis you. Can you take it? I wouldn't be too scared. You do quite well at what you do. IF you play this well live, you have little if anything to worry about, & I'd bet that you knew that already, too.

A performer has to have that knowledge before they go on - that they CAN do what they do, in spite of anything, & do it well, & if this particular crowd doesn't get it, the next one probably will.

How much material do you have? If you're performing solo in these parts, you'll need 3 to 5 hours worth. If the ppl love it. sometimes you play extra long for extra $. You need some different types & genres, too, to mix it up as a solo. These 3 tunes are different enough. So far you don't sound the same all the time, & that's good.

I hesitated before checking you out, as I saw rap references in another post, & I'm not good at rating that stuff. I'm glad I did, though. You have talent. You need development, but you're coming along nicely. Your mixes are solid & you have a good ear for recording. Your songs are pretty good, & I'll expect your writing skills to improve as you go.

One thing I notice many ppl doing is to follow a groove for far too long, sometimes even missing a bridge entirely, & I think this is a huge mistake. You don't have that problem, & I appreciate that.

Whatever you do, try to work with Louise more! She has a wonderful voice.

#60074 by gbheil
Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:34 am
Standard?

If I was to compare myself to some of the pro level guitarist on this site I would not play out.
But I do! We entertain. People say they like our sound and material.
Venues invite us back.

When you are ready you will know grasshopper! :D

#60174 by HowlinJ
Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 am
Gezz,
Are you serious?
Based on what I'm hearin', your a better guitarist then half the people out makein' money playin' in Tannersville tonight!

When I started playin' out, I only knew two chord progressions and the organ solo to "House Of The Rising Sun"(that was good enough to get me in a gigging band back in 1965)

Now go on out and get yourself a gig! :wink:

Howlin,

P.S.
Philby is right, Louise does have a very pleasant voice.

#60233 by gnger and proud
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:33 pm
:P damn sight better than me and I am going to give it a crack, love my queen, mellow summer groove go for it man, you will never know unless you try, in the words of scarface the world is your f$%^%ng oyster go for it
#60253 by Gezz
Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm
thanks for all the great feedback guys. guna give it a go now, jus in the process of contacting sum venues!

cheers for support!

#60584 by ETRPT
Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am
My Queen good track and should be first on your list cos it's the best.

bright lights doesn't really work.

c

#60800 by Black57
Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:36 am
Personally, I would work on a self made CD since it weems like you have so much originals. I'd change the rap to soomething with singing. The reason, I suggest making the CD is I would wager that people will ask for a CD. Wouldn't it be nice to have one? :wink:

#61746 by Kramerguy
Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:33 am
I've seen horrible guitarists/bands get standing ovations after every song, and I've seen technically gifted guitarists/bands get *crickets* after every song.

Instrument/vocal ability takes a back seat to showmanship, song choices, and even tone/sound dynamics/mix in most cases.

Get out there and just do it, start with open mics like others have suggested, and work your way up. Remember you get out of it what you put into it. There's no such thing as instant gratification in music.

#61750 by YouAreNotReal
Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 am
There is no standard of gigging, you go out there and gig XD

You know when you suck major balls when everybody starts leaving or throws some cups at you when you're the major act on haha, though I very much doubt that'd happen to you

Now go out there and get a gig before I come round there n force you to XD
#68291 by bottomE
Sat May 23, 2009 12:31 pm
Gezz wrote:HEY,

Dont know what the standard is as i have never had a gig nor been to one (Except red hot chillies), so dont know where to start or what the standard is out there.

please help (Or listen to my tracks),

cheers gez

the sooner you start the better. just go for it mate and you will be fine. its not about ability. if you are genuine, peeps will know that and accept you for what you do. the only way to find out is to play in front of complete strangers. friends and family don't tend to give the best advice.

good luck and keep it funky

#77062 by Zelator
Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:26 am
Bright lights is a solid track i like very much .For me rap is particular and owned by a particular group of musician and person ( they own it ) and i am not one of them .But the quallity to my ears is good ...........but Bright Lights is mission accomplished for me