This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Sell your guitars here.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#604 by capo2frets
Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:09 am
Here it is.......

What do you think the best acoustic guitar is:

Personally I like Taylor.
I have a Taylor CE-310 which is really on the lower end of the Taylor models but it is what I can afford and for me it plays very well.

My dream acoustic guitar would be a Collins.
Born and made in Austin Texas. They are pricey.

I also have a Michael Kelly acoustic guitar.
Yup, they haven't made that many but I found one in a guitar shop in Houston. It is a wonderfull guitar. Plays like a dream. Michael Kelly made it big on acoustic basses and mandolins but I'm here to tell you that they make a righteous acoustic guitar. If you find one you better buy it. I haven't seen that many out there.

What are your preferences?

#605 by TuskoNino
Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:54 pm
Hi Capo
To start with, you know what they say about opinions. Be that as it may, my opinion is firstly, any guitar that you like the sound , looks, and the playability of, is the right one. Now secondly, you never mentioned the style in which you play.. finger-picking, folk, jazz, etc... I'm not pretending to be an authority, just giving an opinion.. but, I prefer a dreadnaught sized box, for the tone and volume in a basic all round guitar, (for my style and taste). My favorites are any pre-1970's Martins..of which I own a D-35, (but I've played D-28's with the same results). I also own a smaller 1940's 0018 Martin and a similar sized and aged Gibson.(of which the Martin blows the Gibson away, in all respects). The smaller Martin is the best studio guitar I own (not so boomy), but, the D-35 is my favorite stage and all round playing guitar. I prefer to play the Gibson in open tunings (it just has that kind of sound). Not exactly sure what your looking for but I hope this helps. The right guitar will grow on you..like a new lover, friend, etc. Lastly, I've come to find that it's not always the guitar.. but usually the guitarist that's important!
Later, TuskoNino

#606 by RMORIALLI
Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:08 pm
[quote="TuskoNino"]Hi Capo
To start with, you know what they say about opinions. Be that as it may, my opinion is firstly, any guitar that you like the sound , looks, and the playability of, is the right one. Now secondly, you never mentioned the style in which you play.. finger-picking, folk, jazz, etc... I'm not pretending to be an authority, just giving an opinion.. but, I prefer a dreadnaught sized box, for the tone and volume in a basic all round guitar, (for my style and taste). My favorites are any pre-1970's Martins..of which I own a D-35, (but I've played D-28's with the same results). I also own a smaller 1940's 0018 Martin and a similar sized and aged Gibson.(of which the Martin blows the Gibson away, in all respects). The smaller Martin is the best studio guitar I own (not so boomy), but, the D-35 is my favorite stage and all round playing guitar. I prefer to play the Gibson in open tunings (it just has that kind of sound). Not exactly sure what your looking for but I hope this helps. The right guitar will grow on you..like a new lover, friend, etc. Lastly, I've come to find that it's not always the guitar.. but usually the guitarist that's important!
Later, TuskoNino[/quote]

I agree with you, but I don't think he can afford the Martins. He may be able to better afford a Gibson, but I think for the money and ease of playability......you just can't beat a Takamini, even the cheaper models.

They play more like an electric guitar, and are excellent for acoustic lead parts. But you are correct about these guitars not sounding anywhere NEAR the Martins, and the bass responce is a far cry form a Martin, but overall, a Takamini is probably his best bet if he were to buy another acoustic guitar for lead guitar playing.

I have a Martin myself, and I have to tell you it is a lot harder to play, and lead parts that involve any bends at all are extremely hard on your fingers...............BUT..............it sounds so darned good, no question.......and stands out in a crowd anytime you play it. I guess it all depends on what you intend to play on it, just like you said. I use my Martin for rythm parts only because the tonal quality is outstanding. I also like the Deadnaught's.

RICCO

#733 by braulio
Fri May 05, 2006 8:41 pm
yeah dude, i play a takamine acoustic and they are really good all around guitars, especially if u are an electric guitarist playing an acoustic. they sound good for pretty much everything. i play in standard and altarnate tunings on it. my only complaint is the electronics (mine's an electro-acoustic), not the best sounding ive ever heard, but not bad all things considered. im not gonna say it is the best acoustic on the market, but for the price it is a great guitar.

#1745 by Gregg Shively
Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 am
Hey 2Frets... anybody seriously considering a custom guitar, ya gotta check out Dillon Guitars, made by John Dillon in Taos, New Mexico...totally custom work and I gotta say his instruments are not only gorgeous, they play like silk and steel! www.dillonguitars.com I'm tellin ya, these are wonderful instruments! Gregg <><

#4033 by Tim keys
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:47 pm
Both of my acoustic guitars are jubal's Both dreds. Both constructed from martin kits. I had them assembled by a local guitar builder. Going with the kit saved alot of time and cost. They sound as good as any D18 martin you will find. As for off the shelf ,, taylors and martins are in my opnion the best. If you want to go in expensive buy a seagull . rat

#5157 by Ray Sauter
Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:33 pm
You cannot beat a good Alvarez Yairi!

I have a DY-45 that has been my main guitar for the past 20 years. I have been looking around for something with electronics and compared to the Taylors, you can get a real bargain on a top model Yairi!

#5696 by dbbluesman58
Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:04 pm
hey whats up ? I just thought one more opinion could'nt hurt . i recently played a breedlove that was in the 1000 dollar range, and it played and sounded and felt as good as any taylor or gibson they had in the store and most were up around the 2000 dollar range.rosewood back and sides spruce top. it has a nice even tone not too bassy played like butter, dreadnought style, it seemed they payed particular attention to achieving great action all up and down the neck , i have never played one before , but ive been playing for 35 years and played or owned many many different guitars over the years, and i have to say, they are very impressive, and definately worth checking out .I would not hesitate buying one.

#6123 by Danny Beeler
Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:34 am
Well I have Alverez and Takamine guitars and liked them both. Then I purchased a Carvin Colbalt and now the other two sit in the closet. My Colbalt feels and plays fantastic. When I play it through the PA it makes me proud to own it.

#6131 by gexclamationpoint
Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:16 am
GreggS wrote:Hey 2Frets... anybody seriously considering a custom guitar, ya gotta check out Dillon Guitars, made by John Dillon in Taos, New Mexico...totally custom work and I gotta say his instruments are not only gorgeous, they play like silk and steel! www.dillonguitars.com I'm tellin ya, these are wonderful instruments! Gregg <><

wow, he gives the buyer a lot of options! truly a custom guitar, if you have a few grand lying around
#6146 by sparky13
Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:05 pm
Dave ECC wrote::idea: I've been using my band partners Takamine accoustic on gigs for the last 5 years and have always felt that for the price, they have great action, electronics, stay in tune and can stand up to the demands of the road. I've been looking around for an accoustic of my own recently and saw a ZAD-50CE on EBay for the first time. I spent some time researching the Zager Guitars web site and they appear to be almost too good to be true. Their cost is under a grand and are supposed to play easier and sound as good as the $2-3K Martins and Taylors. Does anybody have any first hand experience with them?
I ordered a ZAD-80CE about a year ago and since then, three of my siblings have acquired ZAGER guitars. I was playing my band partner's Larivee and my brother's Taylor during gigs and couldn't decide which acoustic/electric to buy after playing many models. It was with some anxiety that I bought an instrument I'd never seen, much less played. The Zager is as advertised - tone, playability and craftmanship. I was sold by the satisfaction guarantee and numerous testimonials and would not hesitate to recommend their guitars to any musician. Talk about bang for the buck. Couldn't be happier.

#8466 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Sun May 13, 2007 7:18 pm
I'm siding with D-Boy with the Carvin acoustics. While in the market for a good 12 string, I tried Martin, Taylor, & Breedlove which were all nice but very expensive, Ovation which was okay but not worth what they were asking for, and Yamaha's & Tak's that were sort of hard on the fingers which 12 strings normally are.

I ended up buying a Carvin Cobalt 980T12 for a great price and it sounds great. Not as soft as the expensive manufacturers but the value was worth the bucks paid. It especially sounds great plugged in to an amp.

I just purchased the same model in a 6 string and now use that as my go-to guitar.

I'm going to purchase a custom built 5 string bass next.

#20682 by deadwudd
Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:34 pm
wow for the money;taylor is a great play;w/out pickups.
iv play a lot of acoustic;but mic the taylor,and rock :D

#26164 by rhythmaka
Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:39 pm
:wink: is there such a thing as best?
gosh there are so many wonderful instruments and what may be best is so transitory, & subjective even if based on best wood, best luthier, best all around balanced balanced resonate sound, action, neck design, ergonomic design, is in the eyes ears hands of the beholder on a certain day, minute second time of year event horizon when the stars are in align with your emotional left brain right brain balance of bio-rhythm's, indigestion, focus pocus, weather, natural resonance, age of strings, random variables of that particular one in a 10,000 guitars that you and some other educated or not just what listener perceives in spite of your influences, techniques, songs voicing scale's polychords ... what is your style application?, coupled with the good luck of consistency & thats just talking about acoustic guitars other than sticks with magnetic coils,? Your choices for acoustic 's could be a bull frog mountain, greven , gurian, gallager , huss an dalton, laravee, breedlove, collins, benedetto, buscarino, martins some gibsons etc another 20 or so equally superb equally over priced, over hyped, non-accessable for most humble if not talented and gifted musicians other than retail music gangsta's, net saLES WHORE'S, embittered horse traders, hoarders, rich pack-rats and {the set of other musical mercenaries/investors}?