This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6111 by Casey of Black Santa
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:38 pm
i love it. why not? playing clean is fun and that's really where all the real sound is anyway, but sometimes you gotta step way outside your boudries and do something drastic to find a new creative niche.

so fellow bassists, what type of effects do you use on bass if any?

#6121 by Blind Witchery
Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:02 pm
distortion and digital delay, THE BEST for solos with volume swells

#6277 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:20 pm
I like active pickups on the bass. For effects without the active pickups I like to use a Chorus, Syth, Distortion, A Wah for the slap & pop styles.[although I havent used a wah effect very much, I am not very good at the slap style :( ] My favorite is just a little bit of reverb, Of course reverb works well with about anything in my opinion. I have a $400.00 Ibenez active 5-string, Light as a feather, but it has alot of guts. I mainly just use it strait through the amp with no effects. Dont really need them. Would like to add a touch of reverb though. Any suggstions about a good reverb effect for the Bass????

#6294 by adytiger
Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm
Nah, bass players should just go "thud, thud , thud" - leave the cool stuff to the 6 string guys. What next - 5 or 6 string basses? Phooey!

#6365 by Casey of Black Santa
Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:53 pm
adytiger wrote:Nah, bass players should just go "thud, thud , thud" - leave the cool stuff to the 6 string guys. What next - 5 or 6 string basses? Phooey!

okay...anyways... :roll:

good reverb on bass? the Digitech reverb sounds good on guitar and i havn't used it on bass butt i'm sure it does the trick.

i've been wanting a wah for my bass but i never get around to buying one. i also plan on buying back my Digitech bass envelope from a guitar shop i sold it to. i wasn't using it much cuz i just didn't feel i needed pedals at the time that i sold it other than fuzz and distorton.

then i listened Ruins and Keven Rutmanis from the Cows, Tomahawk, and the Melvins and was like "s**t! i need that back!"

#6367 by Casey of Black Santa
Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:57 pm
adytiger wrote:Nah, bass players should just go "thud, thud , thud" - leave the cool stuff to the 6 string guys. What next - 5 or 6 string basses? Phooey!

btw, some of the best guitarsts of all time played clean or just a bit crunchy.

BB King, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, D Boon on the early Minutemen albums, Dick Dale except for a little reverb......

you know, the guys who aren't and don't/didn't care to be rockstars.

EVH isn't THAT cool. :wink:

#6572 by Blind Witchery
Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:32 am
you know, the guys who aren't and don't/didn't care to be rockstars.

EVH isn't THAT cool. Wink

finally someone to talk about the great obscure musicians and not overly mainstream ones

thumbs up for that!!

#6583 by Koolin82
Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:15 pm
I use a Bass POD, the floor model. I use the various effects all the time. I like to use them in a pretty subtle manner though to enhance my sound. My only complaint with some bass effects is that the players using them tend to set everything at 11. :lol:

#6793 by Vocals & Bass
Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:54 am
It may had just been me, but I had a bass, ibenez phat hed overdrive pedal [loved the tone lock knobs] didnt really care for the pedal as a good effect. My old kramer 4-string doesnt have very good even tone to me anyway, & 5-string is active, so dont need it. anyone else use bass overdrive very much??

#6859 by Blind Witchery
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:39 am
I use a guitar distortion pedal for my bass, but I want to get an overdrive pedal for it. the distortion is too extreme and muddy to be recognized between my guitar as well.

#9231 by thebelongingkind
Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:57 pm
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the group 'Muse', but on their thirs album (Absolution) they have a song called Hysteria. They have some sort of distorty, synthy,fuzzy bass riff on it (which starts the song off). I think he might be using like a Fuzz Factory, if you can get the for Bass. It sounds awesome though.

I've got one song that's got a heavy grand piano and a bass that just has a ripping distortion. Love it!

#11776 by Starfish Scott
Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:28 pm
boss me-5 b. 5 at once. fairly versatile..

#12854 by Wizbat
Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:26 am

7 Strings actually!!!

#15107 by cooldude
Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:36 am
At the moment this is what I'm using:

Sansamp programmable bass driver
Fulltone bass drive
Modified Boss blues driver
Modified Boss bf-2 flanger
CEB-3 bass chorus
Boss LS-2 line-selector to mix different inputs
Morley dual wah bass pedal

Other pedals I have:

Ross compressor clone
Orange squeeze clone modified for bass
Boss ODB-3 modified bass overdrive
Sansamp bass driver DI

As you can see I like to mod/build pedals too!

Ok i cut & pasted off the guitar section because I missed the one for bass guitar.

Effects are ok for bass as long as you use in moderation & the type of music/song you are using.

Always have the Sansamp on unless I have blues driver on. I use the blues driver more for tone then overdrive. It sounds like a high gain amp. The rest I use depending on the song.

#15195 by KevLar Thrash
Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:31 pm

:P well thing is, if youve got a good bass and a good amp with an equalizer or equaliser footpedal, theres no need for digital effects, spesh if your a true bassist (fingerplayer)
Beacos you can slap,pop,tap,harmonic tap,mute,stroke. tecknique gets you the good sounds not a pedal.

I loop on my RC-50 boss looping pedal and all i do to stop the song getting muddy is create one round of the chords, with high frequencys set, then compile it with the bass line with it set low frequencys and then a solo with very high frequency or high boost cut.

The posibilities are endless with a good bass.