This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#58708 by Ballistic J
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm
The cheapest I use is a DOD death metal distortion ($30)and it sounds best with my Gibson Flying V. I get feedback whenever I want it and a heavy pounding bassy sound.
Anyone else?

#58717 by jw123
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:03 pm
Ive got an Arion Plastic Octave pedal that get s areally nasty sound I like. I gave a dude 15$ for it.

#58737 by gbheil
Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:57 am
I got a free Boss Metal Zone. But now all I use is the amp. And a few overall effects thru the PA.

#58753 by philbymon
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:39 am
I have some Danelectros around here somewhere that I've used in the past - slap-back, chorus, flange, I dunno what all...I should dig them up sometime. They're cheesy, but they have good sounds for what they are. Someone even gave me the pedal box for them.

#58933 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 pm
cheapest pedal?

Boss Super Overdrive.. You combine one with a Marshall head and you can get some nice tones.

(Note: Head should be one that has a distortion channel, so you can use the pedal in conjunction with the high gain channel. By itself, the super overdrive is very minor.)

#58952 by J-HALEY
Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:19 pm
I have that same overdrive Capt. and I love it in fact I have already worn 2 of them out in the last 20 years I am on my 3rd one now, I like to turn my neck position pickup on my Strat on with my clean channel on my amp then I turn on the Boss Super Overdrive and I get a great blues sound with it this way. :D

#58984 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 pm
philbymon wrote:I have some Danelectros around here somewhere that I've used in the past - slap-back, chorus, flange, I dunno what all...I should dig them up sometime. They're cheesy, but they have good sounds for what they are. Someone even gave me the pedal box for them.

there's a big scandal right now over the new danelectro pedals and how at least one of them is a direct clone of a well known boutique design... there's even a thread about how dano reps are 'looking into this'.

the french toast is a direct clone of a fox tone machine... I LOVE IT!
-they do use cheap pots, not true bypass, etc etc, but they core circuits are typically pretty decent.

ps... capn and haley... it is a well known fact that the circuit for a boss sd-1 is identical to the tube screamer with asymetrical clipping and slightly dif buffers.. (just thought you'd find that interesting)

my cheapest pedal is a boss ge-7 I bought for $15.

#59066 by jw123
Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm
As far as distortion pedals Ive always used a TS-9 tube screamer pedal. The one I have now was the second in the series. It works great for spiking the front of my amp for solos.

#59072 by J-HALEY
Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:59 pm
Thats interesting mistermikev I did not know that thanks for that info, this is the main reason I keep my subscription with this site up to date, because I always learn a lot from you guys.
JW I also use my overdrive pedal to add that little bit more to my solos :)

#59076 by mistermikev
Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:34 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Thats interesting mistermikev I did not know that thanks for that info, this is the main reason I keep my subscription with this site up to date, because I always learn a lot from you guys.
JW I also use my overdrive pedal to add that little bit more to my solos :)

My pleasure... I was amazed to learn how many od pedals today are based on a variation of that sm ts-808 circuit... many very expensive pedals (check out the CJOD, they've gone for $1600 on ebay and it's a tube screamer clone that is slightly modified).

#59115 by Starfish Scott
Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:29 pm
J-Haley - I am amazed that you use that pedal with a clean channel. (OMG)

Try it with a Marshall 4104 2x12 or comparable MARSHALL gain channel and it really behaves quite well.

The first time I heard the combination, I made a mental note to remember it as it sounded THAT good.

#59129 by J-HALEY
Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:26 pm
Capt. I use it with my dirty channel on my tube amp for a heavy and heavier sound but for the blues you don't want to much if you want to be authentic with my clean channel and the middle to neck position on my Strat selector switch it gets a very authentic SRV sound.
Just for the record I play everything from Preist to Wild Cherry.
Our band is a variety rock band I play Eruption, Cliffs Of Dover, to BTO a lot of ZZ Top, SRV, Los Lonely Boys. stuff like that.

#60439 by ScottVW
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Hey folks. This is the first time I've even looked in the Forums here. It's good to hear all your points of view & I'll try to share mine if I think I have anything worthwhile to say. ......... But I digress.........

The cheapest?? Gotta be that new LPB-1 that sits on top of my amp these days. I use it just like I did my old original one back in the day. Leave that puppy on & just hit the front end with a little more signal..... Yessir, I like it.

#60513 by ratsass
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
The cheapest pedals I've GOT are some Rogue distortion that I got on Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day when I thought I was going to open a little music store, but didn't. They were like $9.95 each and I bought about 3 of them. The cheapest pedal I USE is my talkbox. I built it for about $50 and it works great.

#61226 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:43 pm
MIJ Boss SD-1 with my Plexi but since I got my Vintage Modern I just plug straight in.