This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#50624 by TheCaptain
Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:39 pm
So, SP, do I assume that for track timing purposes, are you just syncing tracks by ear, as opposed to some midi sync/timing mark for the start of a tune?

just curious..
R

#50627 by Chippy
Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:21 pm
I think much is up in the air right now Celtic. Some progress has been made so I hear but as with all things everything needs input and ideas.

Glad to see you over there.

#50633 by TheCaptain
Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:36 pm
yip, agreed>good idea.
#57296 by Ian Blythe
Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:00 pm
ZXYZ wrote:I wonder if several musicians (this is probably a stupid idea -but) could set-up a 'net-meeting' or something using webcams and high-speed internet to have a virtual jam session? My guess is that the delay (bouncing off satellites etc) would make this impossible?

I had the same Idea... The only way I think it would work is if someone wrote the software, and created a type of interface that you could plug your instruments into, like a firepod, and made it where you could use your webcam. The drums of course would have to be miked, but then again you could just buy a cheap digital set, or just the triggered pads, and use Addictive Drums (drum replacement software) Then you would have to have someone host a session, and have the others join, kinda like a gaming site. I believe that the latency would be very low considering it would just be an audio broadcast, especially if its a direct connect to the others computer. Music sites do this all the time, and they stream music in real time. I'm not 100% it would work, but its a thought.

#57821 by Scottysaan
Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:06 pm

#59189 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:44 pm
Scottysaan posted a good site and though it seems you guys have come up with a solution, I figured I would offer up some ideas for you to try.

Camfrog: I use this program and actually bought it for the full capabilities. While you're certainly not able to jam one-on-one with another guitarist in real-time, what you CAN do is have the same backing track and take turns sharing your ideas and showing what you're doing via webcam. All you need to do is set up your recording properties properly. In addition to having one-on-one sessions, there are guitar-based rooms set up that have people who frequent the rooms. When it's your turn to hop on the mic, if you have a webcam, any and everyone in the room can watch what you're doing in addition to hearing it. Naturally, the quality of audio and video depend on your connection and the connection of whoever watches/listens to you but if your connections are fast enough, the audio is one of the highest quality in any program like this. Oh, and you can send files to one another through that program.

http://www.camfrog.com

Paltalk: This is a program I used to use prior to Camfrog that's not quite as good, but it's a way for you to hop on and take turns jamming in a room of other musicians. It's a suggestion if you don't like Camfrog for some reason.

http://www.paltalk.com

Skydrive: In regards to storing files and making them available, Skydrive gives you 2GB free storage. You can sign up for an account, make files private or public and share all you want. If you want to keep some files private, you can simply create a skydrive account with a username and password that you don't mind sharing with whoever else. This completely alleviates having to worry about the troubles and bandwidth usage of an FTP.

http://skydrive.live.com

I've found the aforementioned methods fun and quite helpful. Perhaps you guys might find some use out of them as well. =)

-Stephen

#59192 by Andragon
Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Paltalk sucks. Just sayin'.

#59347 by Black57
Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:45 pm
Chippy wrote:Server is yes. I am a host.

Doesn't matter to me however Sentient who does what? Let's have some fun.

So? Who is first to dance? I say the Flute.....

Okay, now that one YouTube collaboration did indeed remind me of JT. I am going to try and spend some time doing this.

#59453 by philbymon
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 pm
what?

#59696 by ratsass
Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 pm
Howzabout everyone listen (not record) to a metronome or drum machine as they do their song. Send their song to a specific site (Sentient Paradox Project) with the tempo as or in the song title. Everyone else can give a listen and pick out something that appeals to them, take that and add their part and send it back. Send all in MP3 format to save time and space but keep all your original parts as wav. for later compilation. Using the metronome or drum machine, you could leave a four beat intro making it easier for the engineer to line things up, and maybe it would be easier for a drummer to add his tracks. Just some thoughts. There are a lot of things to think about here.
and check out www.myspace.com/jeffcoleysband my myspace page. "Taint It Love" is a song that I put on there with no vocals and no solos so that other people could come up with their own parts for the fun of it (guitarists especially in mind).

#59787 by Chippy
Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:21 am
Still some interest then?

Good stuff. Ok I have a couple of things to do this week but I think there are some good suggestions here.

I'll go back on the topic and pick some up unless anyone beats me to it and we'll get something going.

I did write to Sentient yesterday, I guess he's still busy.

Cheers.

Chippy

#60978 by METALurgist
Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 am
Yea I would be down for that! I always wondered what kind of software would you need to overlap the videos so that you don't just have to keep clicking on the videos to hear a solo at a time. Which I have seen some people work on seperate vids. Im basically using average YOUtube recording stuff lul. And a Roland MicroCube fr vocals doesnt work out bad really.

#60979 by ZXYZ
Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:47 am
I would think that using Box.net or 4shared for posting / sharing downloadable/ uploadable wav files (everybody involved would have the username/ passwd) would work nicely if everybody has multi-tracking software on their PCs.

#61040 by Chippy
Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:49 pm
So we up for this then?

I think Ratass made some good suggestions which are pretty simple to follow. I don't have a paid account here but those of you who are interested and are a paid member give me a shout via my profile yeah?

Let's just keep it nice and simple so everyone can get a look in on it.

I can provide a "listen" link for anyone wanting to hear it or offer a view.

Just take it from there and make it simple yeah?