This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4903 by Tombolino
Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:01 pm
I agree with Austintatious. Being friends is very important. Or it helps a lot.

#4910 by AustinTatious
Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:07 pm
Yup, I already know my biggest problem in finding a band or members is the area, I live in a fairly small town in Aiken, SC, and sadly, MOST of the musicians here want to have not just the sound, but the 'look' (for emo bands). I was actually kicked out of a band cause I didn't "fit in" not for my musical styles (i was able to match and at times outplay the lead guitarist). However, I don't fit the "scene" look. Kinda messed up, but thats what you get for looking for serious bands in small towns! Haha. I'd love to move out to Atlanta or somewhere bigger. Oh well, the only good news so far is I started making friends with a girl who went to high school with two of the guys in Crossfade, which we all know they were signed and recorded in columbia, so hopefully I can get to be good friends with her and then them and who knows! I'm goin to do a 'tour bus party' with Crossfade in Hilton Head in March! Woohoo! ^_^

yeah, like i said...i'm bored

#4974 by hogman
Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:51 am
Musicians are a fickle bunch..seems they like to play hard to get...like,"let them call me" or "if they want me bad enough they'll try harder" I never believed that no matter how good a guy was, to go chasing after him/her..it's just a recipe for disaster! Thats why I got out of the buisness for ten plus years.. the musicians were just too much to deal with and they wanted to be coddled and praised...just imature sh*t.. Didn't have time for it then and I still don't.Hopfully this time around I can find people who are in it for the love of playing,after all, thats why we all got into it for the first time we picked up an instrument..The secret is..Keep it simple stupid,,and I would add,, Keep it fun!! When it becomes a chore..or you are starting to not look forward to rehearsal..get out and move on.
Last edited by hogman on Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

#4977 by BassPlay3r
Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:21 am
I think the term high maintenance was coined for musicians. I personally take the jam with anyone and everyone. ya never know until ya try.

#5031 by Irminsul
Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:48 pm
Hmmm, the perfection thing is a bit anal to me. Also, it can become the object of obsession at the expense of making music.

Try going for beauty instead. It will save your blood pressure if nothing else.

#5034 by Doctor Bob
Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:36 pm
Front_Man wrote:You guys think you've got it bad, try finding something worthwhile in one of the shallowest talent pools in the country, also known as Central Kentucky!

Sometime in the not too distant past a "close enough/good enough" mentality permeated the scene around here -- from musicians all the way to club owners, and it seems that most all musicians/bands are now more worried about entertaining themselves rather than the people who pay to see them. Club owners couldn't care less how the Band sounds any more, as long as the patrons are buying booze!

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having fun, but to me the REAL fun starts when everyone is focused and brings their best to every gig, whether you're playing for 10 people or 10,000 people. We all know you can't get rich playing at club's on weekends, but to see someone from the crowd leaving a gig saying "damn, that was a kick-@ss band" is worth more to me than just about any amount of money I've been handed after a Friday or Saturday night show.

A perfect example; a few months before I resigned from the last Band I was with, the bass player "accused" me of being a perfectionist and said you can't strive for perfection every time out or you'll be disappointed most every time. My reply to him was "if you never strive for perfection I can guarantee you never attain it!"

I just don't think a guy should have to apologize for wanting it to be gnats-@ss tight every time out...

You hit the nail on the head.

Alot of clubs and musicians in my area also subscribe to the "close enough" mentality.

The other downside is this:

Since the club owners don't care, and the musicians don't care - it leads to lower paying gigs. When there is a huge pool of bands that are "good or close enough" and they are willing to play for whatever the club owner is willing to pay. When you have a good band with talented musicians, it makes it almost impossible to demand what your worth. After all, why should a club owner pay you more when they can hire a "close enough" band for less ?

#5036 by RhythmMan
Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 am
I agree with several of the viewpoints expressed.
I think that setting out to make good music is the best starting point.
On the other hand - some people 'max out' on their ability levels before others; they may already be doing their best.
If they CAN'T improve - don't hold it against them . . . forgive them for not meeting up to your expectations.
Maybe it's time to move on . . .
On the other hand, if they don't WANT to improve - they may have a different set of standards than you, - or they don't want to invest the extra time practicing, - or maybe they just resent someone telling them what to do.
Sometimes it's HOW you say something that really counts . . . .
I don't care for the 'good enough' atititude, myself. Without improvements, one can stagnate. Then everything sounds the same, and that can be boring . . .
However if a song has been completed for some time - then it's DONE . . . that's how it goes, man.
. . . other than minor embellishments here & there, depending on your mood . . .
If it's a new song still in progress - well, ok then, suggestions should probably be tolerated . . .
And - if you're the one who thinks someone else is a perfectionist, consider that maybe it's an easy change for them, but a difficult change for you. If this is the case then your ability levels or experiece levels are mis-matched.
OK. All that being said - some perfectionists are just trying to run the whole show. If it's THEIR band - well - ok.
If not, yeah, there's a problem there . . . not too much you can do about personality clashes, if that's the case . . .
But if you have to continually lower your standards to play with another musician, you just might be mismatched. Again - maybe time to move on . . .
I think all the views that others have expressed are good, valid views . . .

#5039 by drummermu
Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:55 am
Im looking for a band in AL. Just putting that out there.

#5041 by bluesman25
Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:39 am
You're wrong about the tallent pool in Central Kentucky being shallow.
More like the gene pool...

All the same, most of you are really overthinking the problem. Either that, or you highly over-estimate the entertainment value of your skill.

As for striving and obsessing for perfection...do that in the practice room. On stage just shut up and play your best. Nobody likes a nazi.

#5958 by SDavis22
Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:56 am
Yeah... Everyone in Phoenix, AZ are either into pop-country, punk, or heavy metal. All styles that are dead and have been for a long time (no matter how many think they can raise it again, no pun intended... being from phoenix). I don't understand why it is so hard to simply get together and play rock and roll (real rock and roll - not one's shallow obsession with one of its sub-genres)... Very frustrating!

#5959 by gexclamationpoint
Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:05 am
SDavis22 wrote:Yeah... Everyone in Phoenix, AZ are either into pop-country, punk, or heavy metal. All styles that are dead and have been for a long time (no matter how many think they can raise it again, no pun intended... being from phoenix). I don't understand why it is so hard to simply get together and play rock and roll (real rock and roll - not one's shallow obsession with one of its sub-genres)... Very frustrating!

its hard to say this without sounding like an attack, but how do you get off saying that those genres are all dead, and then go and imply REAL rock and roll isnt dead.

there are bands from every one of those genres out there, but i seriously doubt that it would be easier to find a rock and roll band than one of those other genres you named

#5997 by SDavis22
Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:18 pm
Real rock and roll is not dead because it is the foundation for probably everything you listen to. It transcends the diluted garbage that has become rock and roll's ill-fated sub-genres (punk, emo, heavy metal, numetal, whatever). History remembers rock and roll as an important musical movement. You can call your music whatever you want, but it is still 'rock' music. My problem is that artists pretend like a 'sub-genre' is some kind of historical thing when it's not - it's just an extension of original rock and roll. All of these sub-genres come in phases, they come and go... Unfortunately there have been so many that every 'musician' out there is obsessed with one, maybe two of these unimportant styles, decides to prolong it through their own 'vision' (which means you just copy some of your favorite 'phase' acts, usually to a lesser degree) and the music becomes more and more diluted. You can't honestly tell me that more than 10% of the artists out there know what they're doing or know anything about where there own music came from.

Heavy metal died after Led Zeppelin, Punk died in the late '70s, and country died sometime around 'outlaw country.' I assume you think by 'real' rock and roll that I mean people should sound like they're from the '50s... I simply think the original base for rock and roll (rhythm and blues) should be used to portray ideas in that genre. Especially since 99.99% of the rock music/pop culture crowd doesn't have the ability to intelligently compose. We're not a bunch of 'rock and roll beethovens.' I know I'm not... but I'm not dillusional... You're right about one thing: that it's hard to find anyone that wants to play real rock and roll. I've been searching for years to find educated musicians who play well and know about its history. But people stuck on sub-genre/phase music are a dime a dozen... that's why popular music sucks, too many idiots playing under the guise of 'artists'...

#6027 by Irminsul
Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:39 pm
Seth I can see by a number of your posts that you have a lot of opinions on what good rock and roll is - and that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I notice you don't have a single music file in your upload section of your profile. Just like a picture's worth a thousand words, an audio file is worth more.....how about showing us an example of rock and roll that's not "diluted pop"?

This is a serious request, not an attempt at flamebait. I'd really like to hear your take on it.

#6034 by Jacquee Rae
Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:12 am
Wow! Looks like I have been missing out on a pretty intense debate.