This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5460 by Vocals & Bass
Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:39 am
In the 70s while I was listening to Rush,Kiss,Yes,Bad Company,etc. At the same time I was also into Soul & R&B. Bands. Such as Earth,Wind, & Fire. [of course] The Ohio Players, Isely Brothers, The Brothers Johnson, Average White Band, Rick James, Funkadelic, Commadors, etc. Hasn't any body here ever heard of "BOOTSY"? Guess its simply a younger generation here mostly. In just the few bands I named are some of the best Bassist I can think of. Thats even not to mention the good Bassist from the Disco Era. {In my personal opinion,} Soul & R&B has produced some of the best bassist to ever play. And there are so many of them. Lot more than I have named here. "WE WANT THE FUNK" You might find a Bassist as good, But you wont find one Better than Bassist from this era. If you were ever into Soul & R&B. Music in the 70s, I think that you would agree with me. Although, we all are entitled to our own individual opinions. Peace.............
Last edited by Vocals & Bass on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#5462 by BassPlay3r
Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:58 am
I would say there is no best of anything Theres only people who's character comes through their playing.

#5465 by 78
Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:15 pm
There are so many great bass players today, I'd say it comes down to who you really admire the most, for me its the mighty Chris Squire.

#5467 by AndruCNB
Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:13 pm
Where as I do agree that being a musician is about personal expression, and therefore there is a certain subjectivity to a question like that, there are technical greats out there. How about the virtuoso Micheal Manring for starters, hes at the top of his class. That guys unbelievable. Also, Victor (the self-inflated, pompous showboat) Wooten, whos overflowing with technical ability. Then theres fellas like Les Claypool for certain modern innovations, the Motown classic James Jamerson who offered his ability to almost everyone who walked in Motowns doors, the Jazz great Charles Mingus, Bob Marleys' Aston "Family Man" Barrett for writing all the grooves (reggae is extremely bass-centric) we associate with Bob, EWF's Verdine White, PRINCE!!! who started out (and still is) a rippin bassplayer, and yes, I have heard of (and love) Bootsy "FUNK-A-ROONEY, BABY" Collins....

#5468 by Vocals & Bass
Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:17 pm
MR.Vette wrote:There are so many great bass players today, I'd say it comes down to who you really admire the most, for me its the mighty Chris Squire.
Yes, Chris Squire is a favorite of mine also.

#5470 by BassPlay3r
Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:46 pm
Also, Victor (the self-inflated, pompous showboat) Wooten, whos overflowing with technical ability.

Whoa have you met him personally or is that just the impression you get from seeing him play. Just curious. When I saw the Bass day 98 DVD he seemed very mellow. While I'm still very impressed with Victas playing, I'm not really into his writing. I tend to like Marcus Millers writing more.

#5544 by Casey of Black Santa
Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:16 am
i like bassists who play bass in a way that most bassists wouldn't normally play bass. that really goes for all instruments too.

Brian Gibson - Lightning Bolt

Mike Watt - Minutemen

Clint Connely - Mission of Burma

Mike - godheadSilo

Rika 'MM - Melt-Banana

Tekeshi - Boris

i'm more into texture than notes, but still get off on Bootsy, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce (especially), Les Claypool, Flea, and other more well renowned bassists.

#5634 by justin_sane
Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:13 am
I'd have to put John Myung from dream theatre up on high the list.

will...

#5774 by BASSicallyDave
Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 am
Lets not forget the almighty Vail Johnson, although he played with a pussy-whimp Kenny G. Vic wooten don't suck either

#6019 by mistermikev
Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:39 pm
when it comes to bass I think percussive... flea. with out a doubt one of the most rythmicly tight bass players ever... makes the whole band(which I am not a big fan of btw).

victor wooten
les claypool
stu hamm
john paul jones
-one of the best unknown from the seventies - guy from "everyday people" -had about 25 other big hits - father of the slap
john leiberman

#6030 by BASSicallyDave
Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01 pm
Tony Levins. Very creative. Very fun to listen to
#6040 by SDavis22
Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:00 am
Vocals and Bass,
You do realize that Soul and R&B (especially R&B) date back further than the '70s, right? And to say that there aren't better bassists in other eras is kind of elementary... That aside, I would personally rate Paul McCartney as my favorite (not the best). I'll never get over his playing on the Beatles' records 'Revolver' and 'Sgt. Pepper'...

#6043 by Jack5992
Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:24 am
John Alec Entwistle

#6044 by BASSicallyDave
Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:17 pm
I do believe that is SIR Paul McCartney