This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#52907 by AirViking
Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:40 pm
I'm starting this post in the remembrance of the amazing Cliff Burton.
Cliff was an inspiration to me when I started playing and he helped earn the bass a spot in the front light in the 80's. He told his family he would become the best bassist for his brother who had died earlier in Cliff's life, but sadly on tour in Sweden, his dreams were cut much too short.

At shows I play "Pulling Teeth" everytime I can.
I tell people that I am not trying to be Cliff, but I want people to know who he was and still is today.

Rest In Peace Cliff!

"Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation... take me home?"

#52927 by gtZip
Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:03 pm
I agree with that.
But Burton was more to Metallica than bass playing though. Orion was an A+ straight-out classical music composition IMO, and most of that was Burtons doing.
Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets have that grandeur that disappeared when he passed. (And theres spots of it on kill em all and Justice).

Too bad 90% of america only knows metallica from the Enter Sandman era, onward.

#52957 by Sir Jamsalot
Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42 pm
gtZip wrote:I agree with that.
But Burton was more to Metallica than bass playing though. Orion was an A+ straight-out classical music composition IMO, and most of that was Burtons doing.
Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets have that grandeur that disappeared when he passed. (And theres spots of it on kill em all and Justice).

Too bad 90% of america only knows metallica from the Enter Sandman era, onward.

I have a hard time swallowing the latest Metallica stuff. Love the old stuff tho. Two records Killem All and Ride the lightening will always occupy what few brain cells I have left from my High School memories.

#52998 by AlexanderN
Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:11 am
Same here. Up to Master of Puppets. Then it went down hill.

#53000 by gbheil
Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:30 am
Metallica, High School? Geez I'm a feeling a bit long in the tooth right now.
I dont seem to recall Metallica being around when I was in High School.
But then, I really only got my introduction to Metallica over the last maybe 10 years or so.
How long have they been out anyway?
I guess some research is due on my part.

#53018 by AirViking
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 am
For any megadeth fans out there,
In my darkest hour is a Burton tribute.
Metallica's tribute is To live is to die.

Cannont the Kingdom of salvation... take me home?

#53019 by Longman66
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:32 am
Metallica have been going since 1981... they are as old as me!!!! And although i myself was only introduced to the band in the mid to late 90's i absolutely love the band.
Cliff Burton indeed was an amazing bass player and such a tragic end to a promising career, but then, if that had not happened how do we know Metallica might not have split up by now and gone their seperate ways....but as long as there is Metallica i think there will always be a bass player issue!! lol.

#53066 by Andragon
Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:58 pm
Yea RIP the master of bass. He knew a lot of classical and music theory that he changed what MetallicA sounded like, completely.

The stuff on Kill 'Em All was speed metal with some thrash, but it wasn't classical-based or anything. It was just try to be Motorhead or Venom.
However, Ride The Lightning and Master were.
After that, there was No Leaf Clover which was composed with an orchestra. That was half neo-classical, half metal. Nuts. The newest, Death Magnetic, has a few classical-based parts in Day That Never Comes and Unforgiven III. It's the build-ups that sound the most classical.

Personally, it's the fact that I could hear the bass on their records that made me appreciate Cliff the most. When he died, Newsted was the best replacement they could get, but ofcourse not the same. And that's when it hits you: "Wow. Cliff was really f**k great!"

#53199 by AirViking
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:59 pm
Personally I'm no fan of the later years of metallica.
They are very loyal to new fans, and not those who like what made them famous which is like a slap in the face to me.
I understand Newsted wasnt capable of Cliff's genuis, nor or 99.9999_ percent of bassist, but S&M (Their last Good CD) would have been many times better with the works of older songs, granted it would be hard to mix thrash and classical.

Cannot the Kingdom of salvation... take me home?

#53221 by Andragon
Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm
AirViking wrote:...granted it would be hard to mix thrash and classical.

Shyt. I big to differ, like, a lot!
Listen to Annihilator and old Kreator (there's some more, but those are the ones I've been listening to for a long while now). They're full-on thrash, but their intros and some solos are brutally classical and even non-classical listeners can tell that it is.

#53279 by Andragon
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:32 pm
Hey, Air Viking, check out the track "Crystal Ann" by Annihilator (the thrash band). It's short, but a perfect example of what I was talking bout earlier.