This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#50749 by J-HALEY
Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:33 am
After a two year lay off. I kept playing acoustically. I was miffed, being classicly trained on violin for five years and to have been playing guitar for 14 years, 4 years as a proffesional. I just coudn't understand how you could get any better than this, but I came to understand that you don't have to be the best there is to play music.

You can just simply be yourself and it doesn't matter whether you are Yngwei Malmsteen or David Gilmour, or Billy Gibbons you can still Jam.

#50763 by philbymon
Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 am
I've played with some very accomplished musicians who couldn't come up with squiddly dot when you put 'em on the spot. They had to have practiced something that was written out in order to play at all. They were machines that could thrash like hell when they knew in advance what they were gonna play, but otherwise they were completely BORING & inept.

Now this guy has managed to come up with his own ripping fantastic stuff that just burns like hell & you know what? I still find it BORING to watch him doing his finger exercises for six frikken minutes.

Can he play something without tearing his guitar to shreds? I don't know. You know why I don't know? Cuz all this flash BORES ME TO DEATH after one minute, & that's all I've ever heard from him. So I don't bother with him.

Perhaps my brain is too slow to appreciate it, but I much prefer David Gilmour or Gary Moore any day to this guy & others like him, cuz they can be melodic & versatile. Hell, even Di Meola can be versatile & melodic at times without the constant attack of a gazillion notes per second.

You can have & keep your speed demon guitar players close to your heart if that's what pleases you. I'm not putting their abilities down in any way. It's nice to be able to do it, & it's clear that they've worked very hard to be this accomplished. But I'd never ask one to join me in a band, cuz I think it would actually detract from what I try to do, rather than add to it or enhance it, unless they did it in 30 second intervals once a set or so. I've never seen one who could hold himself back to those standards, or allow someone else to have stage center for any length of time.

I honestly think I could have a better band with 4 or more average players doing melodies the average ear can catch, rather than to have one built around ppl who do nothing but stuff as many notes as they can into every piece they play. It's just as bad as those fantastic singers that won't hold a note, but have to warble & sing scales all the time just because they can. BORING after 30 seconds.

There is a place for this stuff, but it isn't anything I'd showcase entirely on its own. I'd use it to enhance something, in small doses, & far less frequently than it's used by these performers.

#50782 by gbheil
Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:07 pm
Much like wiskey.
If not taken in small doses it dont take long to get too much.

#50818 by chip6
Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:44 am
Electric guitar as sport.

It has always been a bit of a conflict to me. One poster mentioned playing violin before guitar. How about Paganini? You could argue he was an equivalent back in his day, as the consummate musician athlete.

Is this good or bad? Depends on your point of view. I'm educated and experienced enough to look for a challenge to my ears (and you don't have to be a trained musician to have this attitude). Does it always take massive skill? Certainly not. But sometimes it does; a musician who works to make something exciting out of the familiar.

Contemporary "speed" metal owes a lot to Ingvie, they took what he taught with performances like this and applied it to their whole sound (drums, bass, vocals) and made a whole new statement out of it . Physicality, rage, a sonic battle, it takes great strength, and great skill, and not everybody loves it. But those who do are passionate. That is what really matters. Passion.

#50821 by HowlinJ
Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:31 am
When it comes to listening to guitars, I like the styles of Mark Knopfler, Pat Metheny, Elmore James, and Richard Thompson, to name a few.

When it comes to primitive guitar pickin', consider Johnny Cash. Sweet and simple, and enjoyed by millions for over half a century! :wink:

later,
HJ

#50836 by J-HALEY
Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:22 am
Chip6 I am the guy that played violin before guitar and I guess thats what attracts me to this style of music it is basically Classical Music and in my opinion this guy is a prodigy and a vituoso without a doubt.
I enjoy all styles of music jazz, classical, classic rock,rock, country, blues, motown (r&b), if it is good music I like it.
Philby both the examples you used are Brittish and that is one thing about the Brittish invasion that us Yanks like so much, they have a style that is difficult for most of us Yanks to master we want to play our solo's a million notes per second, being from a very blues inspired place (Texas)
I do get it our band plays Money by Pink Floyd it is in a 7/8 time signature and I play the guitar solo note for note (the guitar solo is in 4/4 time the time signature changes there and then modulates back to a 7/8 time) they the (Brits are heavily influenced by American blues)

I have been over at my 27 year old sons house for a while tonight and he had bought a Thin Lizzie cd that he likes to drink to. He said dad listen to these songs and I said o,k, I thought I was going to hear The Boys Are Back in Town, The Cowboy Song, and Jailbreak but he had picked out songs I had never heard or maybe I just don't remember LOL, like I Still Love You.

Earlier in the evening my In Laws were over and they hadn't met my eldest son and they asked me is that your brother LOL. Well my reply was, no he is my son but we are just like brothers, he is an old sole and I like to think I am a young sole.
Anyway my point is try to remain yourself and young and most of all I hope each and everyone of you can have a relationship with your children like I do !

#50837 by J-HALEY
Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:35 am
Oh and Chip6, it is ironic that you say that because I have always said;
Panganini, Bethoven, Bach, and many other of the classical greats (if you had a time machine and could bring them forward to this time) would be ashamed of todays music, with the exception of Yngvie, Eric Jonhson, Robert Johnson, Eddie Van Halen, Al Di Meola, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix and a bunch of others that have reinvented the wheel.
As human being's I have alway's said we are creatures of habit and we don't like change (I am just as guilty as anyone of not liking change) but my point is;
If it is good music it is just good and the masses of people if they are exposed to it will get it and they will respond!!!!!!!

#50846 by Crip2Nite
Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:21 pm
I'm sorry but...Yngwie is freakin' awesome.... that's the playin'I'm trying to attain... not far from it.... He loves his damn arpeggios and so do I!..

#50857 by Andragon
Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:01 pm
Meh. When he gets in hyper-mode, it gets annoying. I don't mind the arpeggios as long as it doesn't last longer than 15 seconds.
There's a reason I'm not a fan of Ying-Wii.

#50868 by Crip2Nite
Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:06 pm
OK...Now you're pissing me off! :x ... You better at least tell me you like a nice 4 minute arpeggio blast! :evil:

#50871 by gtZip
Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:29 pm
Malmsteen is the man.
He has what other 'shredders' dont have -- Precision.
Or maybe I should say... beautymous articulation. Perfect bends, vibrato, etc.
To say that he's just another shredder is like saying that Eric Johnson is just another blues guitarist. They both have this tone, touch, and articulation thing that I find hard to explain by typing.

I do wish he would branch out into other styles though. (I 'have' heard him do some hot blues, but it's not easy to find any recordings of him doing different stuff.)

This is a bit different, but still too many notes for some tastes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzW8fi8z5C8

#50874 by gtZip
Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:42 pm
And Oh yeah, just to make you really feel good J-Haley... Malmsteen had to get that good 'twice'.

Form a Bio:
"Yngwie was involved in a serious car accident, smashing his Jaguar into a tree. He was in a coma for a week. After regaining consciousness, he found out his right hand had suffered severe nerve damage...".

So he had to work his way back from that.
I dont even have the gumption to work my way up to that level once :).