This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#49286 by Johnny Nobody
Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:37 pm
www.youtube.com/electricdrums

You can't stop the evolution of drums.
johnny nobody

These home video proto demo's are to help get an idea what
ELECTRIC DRUMS are. They are only recordings and do not convey the same dimensional presence as being in the room with ELECTRIC DRUMS.

#49522 by stillkicken
Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:13 am
Why are ELECTRIC drums better then ELECTRONIC drums?

#49539 by RyanStrain3032
Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:52 am
Seems unnecessary and sounds fake. Nothing beats a real drum set...

#49540 by Kramerguy
Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:20 am
I've seen this "ad" here or somewhere else before..

I don't see any value in it.

#49664 by Johnny Nobody
Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:25 pm
stillkicken wrote:Why are ELECTRIC drums better then ELECTRONIC drums?

Have you ever seen a live concert where the drummer is all pads? I'm sure there must be one?

Electric Drums" can manipulate the heads and shells electrically to create new tones from induced tones. Also the "manipulation" enables head sticking tricks impossible to accomplish on any other type of drum. They do give a studio or live mic'd sound out of the kit of not only great drum tones but also electronic tones. I have videos on youtube. If you watch the Video's you will see a little more of what they're capable of. The videos are non-professional home shots of CHEAP PROTO kits.

The first and every time I played "drum pads" the orientation of sound from a separate speaker system instead out of the instrument was delayed and distracting. Guitars and keys live with it but drummers don't have to anymore.
I spent a lot of time with this concept using mesh heads but now I prefer real heads because they provide more resonate surface for the electronic tones.

Electric Drums are the only drums that have a subwoofer system built into real drums for producing tones of any type within the acoustical instrument !!! Electric Drums can be used with any brand tone or percussion module on the market. The electronic tone from any source will cause the shells and heads to resonate and produce new electro acoustic 3 dimensional tones unlike any you have heard before. Now your real drums can be made to produce any kit any tuning any time. Electronic tones manipulate the snares when desired to create wild ELECTRIC SNARE tones unable to be achieved by electronic pads. You can utilize controlled feedback to produce controlled sustain when sticking the heads. Best of all, the sound comes out of the kit not a monitor system! The tones in your present personal module will come to life when heard emitting from inside real acoustic drums. If you thought Vdrums sounded good out of a monitor cabinet you should hear vdrums in an Electric Kit. But that's nothing compared to what tone modules can do. Many tones like bass, bells, synth can create phatt percussion tones that sound nothing like the original source yet are so drum friendly. Or you can have any tone sound like the original source with a better timbre. Also trigger sensitivity is resistant to ambient noise while remaining sensitive to light touch.

#49669 by stillkicken
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:42 pm
RyanStrain3032 wrote:Nothing beats a real drum set...

True dat

#49678 by philbymon
Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:22 pm
stillkicken wrote:

True dat

Tell it to Futureman, from Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. He's got one helluvalotta sampled sounds he plays with, & he does it extremely well. And that weird instrument he plays is one of a kind, too. Check 'em out live, sometime, & I guarantee that your ears will be fooled.

#49804 by Andragon
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:20 pm
I used to say "acoustic drums or none." Then I actually sat down and listened.. I came to the conclusion that if the drummer is comfortable with the kit, regardless of its type, it'll sound great.
The only thing that can be weird when it comes to electric, is that sometimes there's a slight delay in response to striking the pads.

#49908 by Johnny Nobody
Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 pm
Sentient Paradox wrote:The other thing that makes no sense at all is that right on the page that you've linked to here, you say that we "Can't hear what it really sounds like without actually being in the room where their being played."

If that's true, then what good are the videos?
These home video proto demo's are to help get an idea what
ELECTRIC DRUMS are. They are only recordings and do not convey the same dimensional presence as being in the room with ELECTRIC DRUMS

The key word is "dimensional presence" "home videos" "proto demos" just to point out that LIVE is different than RECORDED just like acoustic. And this is a "First" proto, not the best kit you can get.

I do appreciate your advice though I'm not willing to put $marketers$ between me and customers at this time. If manufactuers have interest I would deal with them directly.

#49909 by Johnny Nobody
Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:35 pm
stillkicken wrote:

True dat
EXCEPT DRUMMERS!!!..yes drummers beat real drums all the time but they only get ONE sound for it.

#50366 by Mark Phillips
Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:13 am
Hi all,
I do not claim to be any sort of expert on drums.
I have though just got myself a set of trapps drums for my studio I am setting up.
It seems to me you gain with the bass drum sound... an acoustic bass drum is a pretty weedy sound, and that punchy thump you get from a live stage band is I think achieved in the mixer and amplification through a graphic equaliser etc and about 1000 watts!
With an electric kit and perhaps a graphic, you can mirror that punchy sound at 10 watts in your bedroom!
My kit has full size mesh heads and feels very natural to me, but a rim shot on the snare is like a rim shot on an un-miked up snare (I mean it isn't picked up); okay in a small room but is just lost on stage or recording.
Recording is where the electric kit is in most senses (except rim-shots!) very good: no acoustic drum cubicle needed, or drum mike on every drum and cymbal, just a wire into the mixer or Tascam recorder and in five minutes the track is laid.
So it means that my concrete floored workshop with the acoustics of an aircraft hangar, can make a reasonable recording studio.
Mind you, my friend Gwyn who has donated this kit to the studio, says he far prefers to play his old Sonor acoustic kit!
Mark.......................