This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4942 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 pm
There are so many good bass players that I could never name all my favorites. And they are so under rated, I dont know their names without collecting information on the artist.[Bands] But, if you hear a good guitarist,drummer. There is always a bassist that will blow your mind. {stone temple pilots,alice in chains,disturbed,etc.{alot of them are Distinct back-up vocalist} {Its not Alice in Chains without back-up vocals}. DRUMMER: Bonham,Tommy Lee, Neal Peart. Drummer for the Who is awsome. A drummer told me once"The drummer for Skynard followed the lead & rythym guitar players alot??" Im not a drummer, so I dont know. But, an interesting thought. A common rule is the bassist & drummer work close together, HEART of the band. And with that, highlight the fact, That there are no rules or standards you must follow when writing music. What are your views & opinions on Bassist & Drummers? In the positive aspect.

#4946 by bryteh20
Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:54 pm
Billy Sheenhan is one of the most amazing bass players i have ever heard. He played for david lee roth back in the day...and now i think he plays for Steve Vai...at least he did on the G3 tour in 2004. Billy makes the bass actually sound like an utmost interesting instrument instead of just something in the background. Props to Billy. :)

Two of my other favorite bass players are Nikki Sixx and Duff McKagan. Nikki is very interesting.....he stands out in Motley crue's music and I love him for that. As for Duff McKagan....hes so very creative. Like in the Guns n' Roses song "Sweet Child o' Mine". The opening bass line just as easily could have been written as the simple and overly used 3 chord progression... but Duff went above and beyond and actually did something that stood out. Thanx duff.

As for drummers....... gosh there are thousands of great drummers. it would be hard to pick my favorite. I thought Bill Ward from Sabbath was a great drummer for his time. As for today my favorite drummer is the Rev from Avenged Sevenfold. Hes fast... creative and original. If u have never heard his work.. u should definitely check him out!!

Oh yeah...and also for bass-Geezer Butler from Sabbath. the opening bass line to NIB kicks butt!! :wink:

#4949 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:17 pm
bryteh20 wrote:Billy Sheenhan is one of the most amazing bass players i have ever heard. He played for david lee roth back in the day...and now i think he plays for Steve Vai...at least he did on the G3 tour in 2004. Billy makes the bass actually sound like an utmost interesting instrument instead of just something in the background. Props to Billy. :)

Two of my other favorite bass players are Nikki Sixx and Duff McKagan. Nikki is very interesting.....he stands out in Motley crue's music and I love him for that. As for Duff McKagan....hes so very creative. Like in the Guns n' Roses song "Sweet Child o' Mine". The opening bass line just as easily could have been written as the simple and overly used 3 chord progression... but Duff went above and beyond and actually did something that stood out. Thanx duff.

As for drummers....... gosh there are thousands of great drummers. it would be hard to pick my favorite. I thought Bill Ward from Sabbath was a great drummer for his time. As for today my favorite drummer is the Rev from Avenged Sevenfold. Hes fast... creative and original. If u have never heard his work.. u should definitely check him out!!

Oh yeah...and also for bass-Geezer Butler from Sabbath. the opening bass line to NIB kicks butt!! :wink:
Thank you, I will check out Avenged Sevenfold. I agree with all said 100%. I always thought that the lead guitar player for Motley Crue alone, Is under-rated. I am excited about listening to sweet child of mine a little closer. Thank You for info.

#4955 by bryteh20
Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:39 pm
Cool deal vocals and bass. Mick Mars from the Crue is most certainly underrated and im glad someone else knows that too. another tid bid of info... if ur gonna check out avenged sevenfold (A7X) i wud reccomend the newest album "City of Evil". their past two albums just didnt impress me but that one definitely did.... and "vocals and bass"... check out my forum topic...."Who is the greatest guitarist of all time." its pretty dang sweet.. until next time... keep rockin.

#4969 by liquid_embrace
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:34 pm
Bughati Kumalo.

He was the bass player on Paul Simon's CD Graceland.

I'm also a big fan of Guy Pratt. He played on the late Pink Floyd stuff.

Pino Palladino.

I also dug the bass player for Prong, but I forgot his name.

#5069 by Casey of Black Santa
Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:36 pm
this is so easy for me!

Lightning Bolt and Ruins!

they are both bass/drum duos that kick more butt than most other "complete" bands could ever hope to.

other bass/drum duos include godheadSilo, Big Business, Death From Above 1979, and Om. they are all awsome, but Lightning Bolt and Ruins are my favorites.

aside from bass/drumduos:

Mike Watt(bass) and George Hurley(drums) from the Minutemen are great! so underrated.

#5249 by zero2eleven
Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:54 pm
I think my favorite bass player will surprise some of you, i mean most musicians would rate people like John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin or Flea from the red hot chili peppers or John Entwhistle from The Who but my personal favorite is Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy because he played the bass as if it were a lead intstrument and as far as favorite drummer there has to be no question that the late great Keith Moon was not only the raging alcoholic but was the reason the WHO rocked for as long as they did.

#5276 by bryteh20
Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:44 pm
Totally agreed......Phil Lynott was amazing. I totally dig thin lizzy. And casey.....tell me more about these 'minutemen' you've been talkin about. Never even heard of them.

#5280 by Casey of Black Santa
Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:57 pm
the Minutemen! MY GOD! they should be in everyone's top five favorite bands.

they were a punk band, but not like the Ramones and Black Flag and Minor Threat. they sounded like a mixture between Credence Clearwater Revival, Bob Dylan, the Stooges, and P-Funk. D Boon, the guitarist/vocalist, played jazz chords and busted out great leads. he sounded like a kind of agressive playing Wes Montgomery. Mike Watt, bass/vocals, can play such beutiful basslines, and George Hurely, drums, had mad chops. D Boon died in car accident in 1985 but Mike Watt still plays in various bands, including the Stooges now. George Hurely still plays Minutemen songs with Watt live.

go here - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=28726485&MyToken=22039b73-31a6-4ac3-9613-bf74a8e84f93

Flea rom RHCP is very influenced by these guys and so are Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, and a lot of other great bands.

hope you like them.

btw, all the money you give to buy a Minutemen album is given by Mike Watt to D Boon's father for his cancer treatment, or so i've been told.
#5317 by inside the horror
Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 pm
MY FAVE BASSIST OF ALL TIME IS CLIFF BURTON OF METALLICA,THE MAN WAS AWESOME HIS PLAYING ON "ORION" AND EARLIER METALLICA MATERIAL LIKE "PULLING TEETH" THEIR WAS SUCH A DEXTERITY TO HIS PLAYING AND THE RANGE OF TONES AND METHODS HE USED,IT WAS DIFFICULT AS STEVE HARRIS WAS ALSO IN THE FRAME.

BEST DRUMMER. . . . . DAVE LAMBARDO....SSSSLLLLLAAAAYYYEEEERRR!

#5321 by Casey of Black Santa
Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:01 pm
Geddy Lee and Neil Peirt.

Dale Crover (drums) of the Melvins is like John Bonham only heavier, if you can believe it, and has a more melodic feel, which i like.

Cody Willis of Big Business is also a great drummer.

Clint Conely of Mission of Burma is a really interesting bassist.

so is Lou Barlow of Dinosaur Jr. "In a Jar" is such a great "bass" song.

i like how Dee Dee Ramone really had alot of "chugg" in his tone and playing. really bumping his way through the songs.

#5339 by DAN THE MAN
Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:56 am
MOST PEOPLE TODAY LISTEN TO CRAPPY MUSIC THEY DONT KNOW WHAT A GOOD BASS PLAYER OR DRUMMER SOUNDS LIKE
Last edited by DAN THE MAN on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

#5340 by DAN THE MAN
Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:01 am
STEVE HARRIS AND NICKO McBRAIN BEST OF ALL TIME GEDDY LEE AND NEIL PEART ARE JUST AS GOOD HANDS DOWN THESE 2 BASS AND DRUMMER TEAMS ARE THE BEST I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF OTHER GREAT ONES ALSO BUT NONE OF THEM COMPAIR TO IRONMAIDEN OR RUSH
#5353 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:56 am
I remember when RUSH 2112 first came out! I agree, cant get any better for sure. Always wanted a Rick, watching G.Lee & Chris Squire?[I think is the name,Bass player] for YES.

#5369 by Casey of Black Santa
Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 pm
Chris Squire, very good indeed. i don't like Yes very much but Fragile and Close to the Edge are great albums, especially Close...

hey dan the man, check out the band Ruins and Lightning Bolt if you like bassists and rummers that really play well together. but i'm warning you...

they.

are.

WEIRD. (to those who are not familier with music like theirs)