This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#45765 by umbilicalcord
Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 pm
We're Umbilical Cord - brothers Wig (guitar) and Gahmstead (bass) - a metal band from Medford, a city just north of Boston, MA. We've been practicing and writing under this name for quite a while now, but we've had bad luck with drummers and singers so have not gigged since a couple high school talent shows back in like '05. But we've been using this time to hone our skill, write plenty of original material, and perfect some cover songs. Not only do we play metal but we also cover video game music - Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, etc.
So we're finally getting our name out - we finally set up our website (www.umbilicalcordtheband.com) and are now actively searching for a new permanent drummer and vocalist. Check out the music on our website and the videos on our YouTube (www.youtube.com/Wiggimus) and if you're a drummer or singer in or around Boston and you're interested shoot us a line at [email protected].

#46109 by ZXYZ
Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:18 am
Hi ! I'm Steve and I'm into heavy metal . Nice to meet you-all :D

#46313 by David Bradley Shirran
Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:36 pm
Hi to everyone! :D

New to the site and forums. Anybody else from Alberta :?:
Anyways, my name is David Bradley, I'm listed on this site as HownDawg.
Check out my profile and let me know what you think.
Looking forward to chatting/ meeting some of you and maybe gain some knowledge as well as share what little I do know. :idea:

Thanks

DB

[/url]

#46316 by RhythmMan
Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 pm
Greetings to David Bradley, from Alan Bradley.

#46318 by David Bradley Shirran
Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:56 pm
Hi there.

Just to clear things up, Bradley is my middle name, not my surname. lol

Nice to meet you though just the same.

DB

#46319 by David Bradley Shirran
Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm
Hi Alan

I've just checked out your songs on your profile. Very clean. Did you do all the tracking yourself? You said in your profile that you have some copyrighted material as well. Just wondering...have you done some commercial work?

DB

#46329 by RhythmMan
Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:13 am
Everything I post is copyrighted.
I have about 60 - 70 songs or so; 53 copyrighted.
Everything on my pages are recorded w/ Sony Acid Music Studio.
I spent about 40 hours mixing the song "Folks I Knew (If You catch Me Crying)." The actual recording took only a couple hours . . .
I am unsigned.
All my recordings are me on guitar & bass.
"Clean" is where it's at: . . . if I make a mistake; I want it to glare in my face.
. . . great incentive to not make mistakes, eh?
Turns out that I cannot find anyone to play my material. I thought the bass and guitars were relatively simple to learn - until I started trying out other musicians, so I can get more gigs.
No one that tried out could play my stuff . . .
So I was faced with a choice:
I could write simple (and mediocre) music, so I could perform w/ others . . . or I could keep doing what I was doing, and enjoy myself.
That makes me a solo act.
Most of my solo songs are quite intricate, and, evidently, I don't have a prayer of finding anyone willing to learn them; seems that no one wants to learn "all those chords . . ."
Where are the people who are willing to learn, nowadays, eh?
Most of my songs had been written for guitar, bass, and female vocals.
Turns out that even the melodies were hard to sing . . . it takes a lot of comittment or experience to sing them . . . I tried out several female vocalists . . .
I finally found a female vocalist, and we've performed a half dozen open mikes.
She lives here in Madison. I told her that if she sticks with me, that I'll make her a star. And I will . . . she's learning all kinds of new stuff, and is now involved in other musical projects. She's almost ready to record for me; when she does, I'll post it here.
I have had several solo gigs.
I'm taking the winter off, and maybe the spring, too, to write/copyright new songs. Right now I've got about 3 hours of completed material, playing without a break . . .
I want 80 oriiginals ready to go. I play about 25 - 30 styles of music - all my own - and I will be gigging full time - either solo, or with someone good enough to join me - by summer.
If someone who lives locally wants to get in on the action - shoot me a line . . .

#46338 by fisherman bob
Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:49 am
I can commiserate with you Alan. People just don't want to do original music any more. It's a shame. I guess the easy road is doing covers. You don't have to create anything, it's already there for you to learn. We perform both originals and covers, but I'll NEVER be in a cover only band EVER AGAIN. Been there and done that. Later...

#46823 by WWhalen-Beaton
Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:03 pm
Hey everybody! Im very new to this site ...well, i had been lurking for a while but i've overcome it. I played for over ten years in a southern rock band in New Brunswick, Canada...yeah thats right, we love southern rock that far north! haha. When that band broke up, i lost my heart for playing for a long time. A couple months ago, i went back there for vacation and hung out with my old band and ended up doing a few tunes with them on stage. It only took a few notes to find my heart again and this site is helping me search out exactly what i need. Thank you so much for the amazing site and the oportunities it brings.

#46846 by suckatash
Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:32 am
Hi there! I'm Jay, the guitar player for Sufferin Suckatash. We're a good time hard rock/classic rock cover band out of Manistee, MI and bring the party where ever we go. Have become regulars at River St. Station in Manistee, as well as the Villa Marine in Frankfort. Always looking for other fun places to rock out in the Northwest Michigan area (TC to Muskegon, etc).

We've all had experience in other bands, but have been together for about two years and are having the time of our lives!

It's taken me a while to check out the forum, but good to meet everybody

#47580 by Larry_K
Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm
Hello out there,
I am a gnu-b here, but knot to music for sure. My story is too long to go into details but in brief; I was schooled classically from the age of 3 by my grandfather who was an orchestral conductor in New York, went on to college and became a rocker in the 70's. I have done session work commercially in many different genres from classical, 50's doo wop, R & B, commercial jingles, Rock, Funk, Jazz, Folk & Country. My own style has a taste of all of the above at different times, and I have "mellowed" with age like cheese or wine. I still enjoy jamming "live" with other players and get invites to sit in as a guest artist with a few local bands or lay some tracks for others these days. (as opposed to having to lay down 1 track at a time to build a band. )
Anyway, I said I was going to keep it "brief" so I will shut up now and fill in the blanks and compare war stories as I make other new friends here. Feel free to stop by and check out my page, I posted a couple of solo effort (c) original tracks up there from my CD to share with the community.. I look forward to the prospect of dialogue and possibly jamming/collaborating with some other like minded musicians here...

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the US of A

Larry

-----------
If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right!
http://myspace.com/kitchen_table_productions
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 147954&ck=
http://cdbaby.com/kessler

#47614 by The KIDD
Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:20 am
Hey Larry,

Welcome to Z board! Yeah , I was enjoyin to your material early today and just checked out your myspace. Man , that style and those motifs take me back to my road days of the 70's. Theres a few of us "one track at a timers" on here :lol: Looks like a nifty set up ya got there. I still rely on my trusty OLE Ensoniq SQ1 w/ 3.5 in floppies for most of my tracks (dont laugh) :lol:.Yeah, theres been alotta colabin going on the last few months, so hopefully you'll get in on that soon.Anyway, catch ya on the board!!

John

#47758 by repressthecadence
Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Hey, I'm Jordan. Currently working on restarting a project I began last year. I'm in the Winchester VA area, and am here hopefully to find some new members for the project if that's possible, and to learn more about equipment, since I'll be helping to set up a studio this summer.

#47764 by ZXYZ
Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:08 am
Welcome to BandMix! ( I'd double-check the song that you uploaded here, there may be a problem)..

#47767 by Cognition
Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:16 am
Hi I'm new (well a few days old now but I missed this topic when I first came on!)

I'm into mellow-Indie (no, I'm not gay :) )