This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#45105 by ZXYZ
Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:06 pm
I wonder if several musicians (this is probably a stupid idea -but) could set-up a 'net-meeting' or something using webcams and high-speed internet to have a virtual jam session? My guess is that the delay (bouncing off satellites etc) would make this impossible?

#45207 by TheCaptain
Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:33 pm
This type of idea has been floated several times.
Two things come to mind:
1) It's not that folk wouldn't try it, but IMHO, I think folks need to be getting something out of it: seeing that time is precious.(and is $)
So, I wonder if many ask themselves "what am I going to get out of this...besides doing something cool"?

2) Technologically speaking, I think until someone just presents a solution to the question, and not more questions about HOW it COULD be done, it's a topic that's gonna keep coming back, like so many JW's..

With that said, I think there's enough interest, and bored musicians here who would respond, if someone said something like "guys, click here to add your instrument of choice to the existing song..." or something..
And it took you to some widget where you could record a track online, OR perhaps, someone with smarts, could create something .wav or .mp3 based, set to a specific bitrate/sample rate etc, that's fairly easy to sync up with a multi-track recording software...

I dunno..I'm just a computer guy with opinions like everyone else..

Anyone else care anymore about this subject that's been thrown about many times..?

ps. when I think about it, IF someone did take this to the next level, and created something web-based..and capable of collaboration, they'd probably start charging .50 per track to submit, and that would kill it.
So, better let it go..

now, where'd I put those bagpipes...

#45424 by Chippy
Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm
I'd be willing to have a pop at this if anyone is still interested?

It really would depend on how folks intend to write their part, if they know how, how/where to send it and where it will be hosted?

I know of another forum that did just this, it was a lot of fun watching it happen and was a great learning tool for everyone.

Anywho let me know too if its still on?

Cheers.

#45777 by Black57
Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am
Chippy wrote:I'd be willing to have a pop at this if anyone is still interested?

It really would depend on how folks intend to write their part, if they know how, how/where to send it and where it will be hosted?

I know of another forum that did just this, it was a lot of fun watching it happen and was a great learning tool for everyone.

Anywho let me know too if its still on?

Cheers.

I would love, love, love to do this. I can write out my part if that is what is needed but I am so technologically helpless. However, I am presently working with a recording engineer who is also a musician. I am impressesd and pleased with his work so far. He might know how to help in this project.

#45816 by Chippy
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:03 am
Wotcha Black.
There are many ways just to get a track online, most are pretty simple, I'd offer you help too. What instrument do you think you'd use?

Cheers Chippy

I would love, love, love to do this. I can write out my part if that is what is needed but I am so technologically helpless. However, I am presently working with a recording engineer who is also a musician. I am impressesd and pleased with his work so far. He might know how to help in this project

#46606 by ThomFrazier
Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:07 am
I've done many..many.. online collaborations. They are fun and absolutely challenging but IMO worth it.

If you make your living off music it would not be for you but if you make music for the express reason of creating something to be proud of then it may be your thing.

I love it. The overall sound due to compression limitations isn't to be desired but that is pretty much the only limit if you have the software , PC your ready.

\m/

#46612 by Black57
Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:39 am
Chippy wrote:Wotcha Black.
There are many ways just to get a track online, most are pretty simple, I'd offer you help too. What instrument do you think you'd use?

Cheers Chippy

Flute

I would love, love, love to do this. I can write out my part if that is what is needed but I am so technologically helpless. However, I am presently working with a recording engineer who is also a musician. I am impressesd and pleased with his work so far. He might know how to help in this project

#46619 by Chippy
Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:06 am
Flute sounds wonderful!

#46625 by philbymon
Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:06 pm
Eh...I'm not truly impressed by the compressed recordings I have made & heard. I'd rather get HARD COPY CD's through snail mail, take 'em to my bud's studio, & add my tracks & return them. When it's finished, THEN you can compress them & put 'em up o/l.

Just my take on it.

#46690 by Kramerguy
Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 pm
Sentient Paradox wrote:I'm betting you're right about the delays, but someone (I forget who), recently posted the idea of someone putting a single instrument track on here, then someone else adding to it, and so on.

I don't know how that turned out. Maybe someone who was part of that could post a link to that thread here?

I thought it was a pretty cool idea!

I guess the way it was supposed to work was that out of one single track, probably several people would grab it and do something to it, and then the same thing with each subsequent track.

In the end, there will have been many different outcomes, each one unique.

Anyone involved with that care to comment?

What happened with that?

I floated the idea a few months ago. Sans came up with some lyrics and I created a generic drum track. I was hoping a bassist would jump in and throw down some mojo, then guitars, keys, vocals, etc.

What happened in the end was myself and I think cryp or GA just threw down interpretive guitar lines and some solo wanking and nobody else really stepped up. It was kind of lacking with no vocals or bass or anything.

I also was very busy, so didn't really put my all into it. Would be about the same today. I've been spreading myself very thin lately-

#46691 by Kramerguy
Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:21 pm
ThomFrazier wrote:I've done many..many.. online collaborations. They are fun and absolutely challenging but IMO worth it.

If you make your living off music it would not be for you but if you make music for the express reason of creating something to be proud of then it may be your thing.

I love it. The overall sound due to compression limitations isn't to be desired but that is pretty much the only limit if you have the software , PC your ready.

\m/

I use a digital 8-track recorder that can USB to the PC. I cut the tracks, then output them to the PC in WAV format and then convert them to MP3. And viola, no limitations on dynamics. The recorder was somewhere around $350 if my memory is correct. Small price compared to many PC products and hardware.

#46775 by Crip2Nite
Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:04 am
...can I be the guy that just wantsta moon you all on my web cam? :P

#46781 by Black57
Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 am
Crip2Nite wrote:...can I be the guy that just wantsta moon you all on my web cam? :P

:shock: After what I just learned about you....no. You gotta play.No butts about it.