This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4314 by crazyPUNKkid
Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:42 am
I'm James, currently an acoustic musician on the move to Alabama from Pennsylvania. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years now and at around age 17 I got the urge to have more people hear my music both covers and originals. Starting in June I decided to embark on quite possibly the most fun, albeit expensive, thing I've ever done. I went on a tour starting in central PA and going up into the greater New England area. I played coffeeshops all over PA hoping to gain some extra pocket change because my weekly paychecks were for gas and food. I started my journey in Lock Haven, PA, at a coffee shop called the Java Therapy. I started there because it was in my hometown and I could tell my friends in school like a month in advance. The place got so full by the time I got done with my intermission, it was standing room only. I left that night with about $150 in tips and decided I wanted to have more fun. So for the remaining summer weekends, I drove to coffee shops throughout PA, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Deleware and even made the journey across the border into Canada for a couple gigs. Each gig payed about 100 bucks on average which all went for either souping up my car or getting new stuff for my guitar set up. I loved playing new places where I didn't know anybody and the people absolutely loved that I would drive so far just to entertain. I ended my tour at a place called the 5th street coffeehouse in Philadelphia, PA. About 300 people turned out and I had the time of my life performing for them in the basement of a church. So, if you're an acoustic musician looking to gain some extra cash, save up your money from your job and just book yourself at a bunch of coffee shops over a series of weekends and just rock your heart out.