This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#42832 by hogni
Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:28 am
Hi everyone,

I just moved to the UK from Iceland a month ago.

I am really into playing the drums and i also play the bass.

I am currently studying 3D animation and i am on student loans so i have close to no money.

I really want to play the drums but i cant afford a set so i was wondering if it is hopeless to look for a band to play the drums in if i dont have a drum set ?

Thanks

#42834 by gbheil
Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:39 am
Would you go sky diving without a parachute?
Would you hire a drummer who owned no drums?
Life is full of unpleasant choices.
Education first!!!!
Then get yourself the best Kit you can afford as a reward.

#42836 by hogni
Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:47 am
yeh ... i was afraid of that :/

#42838 by gbheil
Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:58 am
Thats not a give up dude. Thats a see the priorites of life first.
But never ever give up the dream. EVER!

I,ve had two sell my axes twice to help pay for books.
I just got myself a new one. Two grand US dollars worth, Just because I wanted another. Education is vital in the market of today and tomorrow.

#43169 by tfp
Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:34 pm
Don't give up. Are there other bands in your area that might be prepared to lend you their drum kit in exchange for you helping them. You say you are studying 3D Animation, maybe you could offer some cool graphics for their myspace site or website. Or just offer to help move gear at their gigs.
#43563 by SuperDan
Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:22 am
Some places do have house kits, but not many, and it is always nicer to play your own kit... And then you got the practicing issue though.. Like the dude above said. Education, then when your set and ready, get your kick, bang out some fills and improvs, wang them together, then get a bang going! Ah legend!

#43658 by JohnH
Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 pm
not the cheapest instrument to buy, but if you're prepared to look in second-hand shops, there are bargains out there.
Don't expect to find any big kits, or ones with decent hardware or cymbals, but these things can be bought individually over time.

See if you can get yourself a part-time job - local bar, supermarket, McDonalds, etc - but don't let that get in the way of your studies. Trust me, it's not worth it.

If you quit studying, do it because you want to, not because you're too tired from working all hours to support an expensive musical habit

#43663 by neanderpaul
Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:31 pm
craigslist is loaded with deals.

#43710 by philbymon
Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:49 pm
does craigs list service the UK? Just curious

#43712 by neanderpaul
Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:04 pm
they are worldwide