This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#41184 by enndee2003
Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 am
Definitely you can't get it out of your system - music that is. I have been playing lead or bass in bands for over 40 years as well as solo and duo English Traditional folk accompanied with guitar. Second marriage came to an end last year and with it ended 15 years of relative musical wilderness. Now I am concentrating only on bass, playing in a recently formed rock band and have 2 other projects on the go. I have re-invested heavily in good guitars - because I wanted to! Also I have started doing the rounds of the Folk Clubs, doing floor spots, to get my name known again (some people even remember me from years ago! Incredible!)
I am enjoying my music now more than ever before and am seriously considering chucking in my job and try to make my living as a musician. My personal circumstances have changed considerably and for the first time in my life I have only myself and my music to consider and I can afford to give earning a living from my music a serious go!
Life is for living, now, not tomorrow. Rock on!

#41190 by THEBIGMAN
Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:32 pm
here here well said 8) guy

#41843 by Drum2Live2112
Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:30 am
definitley nothing more important. once you got it, you got it for life and it's hard to let go.
But it's fun! so who would really want to put it down.
Most of the hardcore musicians I know; music is a very large part of who they are. It's a very well respected craft that can go anywhere or do anything and has no restrictions.
in short: IT'S LIFE.
i'm crazy. i'll shut up now.

#41885 by RhythmMan
Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:40 pm
You're not crazy.
I have music flowing through my head constantly, ever-changing music. I can pick up my guitar anytime and play something I've never heard before.
It certainly is part of me.
I've got a friend who's in wonder of 'the whole music-creation process,' as she calls it.
umm - 'process?' What process? Pick up the guitar, and play; that's it.
She says she's in awe of anyone who "can take nothing - and turn it into music."
. . . that's an interesting way of looking at it . . .
I just wish I always had a recorder going; I've lost hours of new music . . .

#41887 by gbheil
Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:48 pm
Ceation may not be a "process", but the recording, writing, tweeking part is a LOOONG process in many cases.
If I could get one tenth of the music / lyrics out of my head into my fingers, the volume would be staggering. It just happens. If I "try" I dont get anything but FM static. Many times I am driving down the road and BAM, a song runs through my head no one has ever heard before. Seconds latterit's lost forever. :cry:

#41956 by philbymon
Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:51 pm
Well...aside from a roof over my head, food in my belly, wild & kinky sex, & work to keep it all, I guess it's right there in the top five of life's lil necessities.

#42136 by HowlinJ
Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:45 am
I find personal use architecture and home construction an excellent creative outlet as well as music, and more conducive to contributing to personal wealth.

Still, the urge to jam is a powerful one indeed.
Remember, old Nero was cookin' on the lyre whilst Rome was burning! :twisted:

#42261 by gbheil
Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:46 am
I heard he wrote and performed Smoke on the Water.

#42319 by philbymon
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm
Funny, I thought it was "Burning Down the House!"

#42375 by gbheil
Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:36 am
:lol:

#42672 by Matthewfails
Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:56 am
Music seems to be very important to me, and has made its way into my life every day for a long time. There are more important things, like life or clothes or food, but music matters to me, it just depends who u are rly.
#43566 by SuperDan
Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:27 am
Music is definately my life. All I've done since being a proper little young un is just relate to music, perform sh*t, even though mainly in a small room with an old band (on the performance band).
But its not just a hobby, music is a way of life. Its something that you cant get rid of, like an uncurable disease, but, a good disease.

The only frustration is when you want to write a good bass riff, or a nice song, but the notes or the words just wont arrive.

#43925 by johnnya
Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:47 pm
hey bro, since you have that chance, 2nd wind, go for it, not a thing holding you back, look how far you have gone. Let me know when you get to Texas, ya never know, rock on.

#44843 by ted_lord
Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:23 am
missing that moment of inspiration or that line that drifts through your mind just before you can pick up your strings is always a terrible thing, music is not just a way of life or an obsession or an expression its a personality trait, I remember this bloke who was in my school with out ever talking to him and now I'm jamming with him
#47849 by Mark Phillips
Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:10 pm
enndee2003 wrote:Definitely you can't get it out of your system - music that is. I have been playing lead or bass in bands for over 40 years as well as solo and duo English Traditional folk accompanied with guitar. Second marriage came to an end last year and with it ended 15 years of relative musical wilderness. Now I am concentrating only on bass, playing in a recently formed rock band and have 2 other projects on the go. I have re-invested heavily in good guitars - because I wanted to! Also I have started doing the rounds of the Folk Clubs, doing floor spots, to get my name known again (some people even remember me from years ago! Incredible!)
I am enjoying my music now more than ever before and am seriously considering chucking in my job and try to make my living as a musician. My personal circumstances have changed considerably and for the first time in my life I have only myself and my music to consider and I can afford to give earning a living from my music a serious go!
Life is for living, now, not tomorrow. Rock on!

Hello from Mark in Sussex England,
I am still in my second marriage, and myself returning to a sort of renewed musical vigour... at 52 years!
Yes suddenly music is everything to me again, as it felt to be at 18... it never left but flying took over for twenty years; now playing guitar so much that my left wrist has developed repetetive strain injury and I have locked my guitar away for a few days to recover... but is it strange? I keep going to pick it up and having to stop myself.
I have a few of my songs on the site, but my writing is changing all the time.
So inspiring to hear what you say... yes music can do that like nothing else can't it; as at other times it can leave you flat and at a complete loss!
Live for the moment I guess?
Mark...............