This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#515 by 601Blues
Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:12 pm
:shock: I don't use anything smaller than 10s and I do a lot of bending, never have a problem some people like 11s and 12s but your super slinkys are way to light!

#517 by RMORIALLI
Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:10 pm
[quote="601Blues"]:shock: I don't use anything smaller than 10s and I do a lot of bending, never have a problem some people like 11s and 12s but your super slinkys are way to light![/quote]

I totally disagree! What ever gage you are used to is just fine. I personally use .09's and I think anything heavier is a waste,although 10's are OK too if you have a guitar that handles them nicely. The only thing about Super Slinkies is that you will lose a good amount of bass responce, and your chords will not sound solid if you strum your guitar too hard, so be delicate when strumming,and you may need to use an EQ............maybe not. Eddie Van Halen says to use the lightest strings at the lowest possible setting that you are comfortable with......"why make it hard on yourself for no reason" he says.

.09's have been the mainstay of rock guitarists for many years. They have good bass response, stay in tune,and are easy to bend and overbend without breaking. But Super Slinkies (.08's) are still decent strings and certain hammer on's and hammer off's are much easier with them. Try and remember that there are very few really good lead guitarists today, and most of the great tricks of sounding and playing lead well have been lost somewhere in the 90's. I am an 80's Van Halen style guitarist with over 20 years road experience, andI still remember all the techniques for using light guage strings. Just keep using your .08's..and try out Dean Markley strings.........they have a lot better nickel plating and seem to last me a lot longer than any other string I have tried. GHS are OK in a pinch, and D' Addario's are OK too.

#898 by Guest
Sun May 28, 2006 4:52 pm
hey I agree about lighter strings.....I use .08 dean M. and also boomers... can tell you allot depends on the guitar set up and how you play. I pull the middle spring out and with the .08's & can really dive bomb....been playing for 45 years...............10's have their place but not generally for everything like most things. 10's and above also require adequate strength in the hands and fingers...peace out. :D

#1027 by Jeremy Kennemur
Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:00 pm
I've tried about every brand out there and ,for me, DR's are the best. They stay in tune, feel great, and last forever. (I used a set on a strat for over a year, gigging almost every weekend, still sounded great, not dull) Been using them for about 12 years. Try the Pure Blues or Tite Fit, whatever guage. I used to use 9's but I switched to 10's a few years ago. I don't think DR makes an 8 set though? Check their web site.

#1934 by sixstringdr4g0n
Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:00 am
i use ernie ball 52s skinny top heavy bottoms and use ghs fast fret lube...its works

#2804 by stratfreak
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:31 pm
D'addario 9's have been my string of choice for going on two decades. Great sound and as long as you keep em clean they last pretty long. If I can't get them I go for Dean Markley but since I usually buy a case at a time I don't usually run out.
#2903 by sabbz
Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:06 pm
epi_lespaul445 wrote:i've used super slinkys for almost two years, and heard from a local musician that elixir nano's are the things. tose haven't been doing me good either. give me some info on stronger strings.....
If you want longer lasting strings, I'd suggest giving Dean Markley Blue Steel's a try. I hate to sound like a friggin commercial, but I tried them out when they first came out, back in the 90's and I've been hooked ever since.

As long as you use some kind of string cleaner after you play (I use fast fret) then they'll last you weeks, I promise.

#3516 by stelling1
Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:01 am
stratfreak wrote:D'addario 9's have been my string of choice for going on two decades. Great sound and as long as you keep em clean they last pretty long. If I can't get them I go for Dean Markley but since I usually buy a case at a time I don't usually run out.

^^^
I use the d'aderio9s on my banjo and they seem to be good as anything else that keeping them clean part is a big deel I read that in a earl scruggs book and started using a clean dry cloth wiping down the strings and the fingerboard each time I play and it makes a big difference I think using your case instead of a stand while you aren't playing helps too, but I find I practice a lot more if i keep an instrument out and easily accesably

#3585 by Mark Dark
Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:31 pm
Everybody has their favorite strings. It depends primarily on what you play (instrument,style, ect.), and how you play (from easy touch leads to hammer hard rythms). So it's best to try everything until you find "your strings". However... my recommendations are: D'Addario and SIT (stay in tune) if you can find them. I hope this will help.

#3733 by [email protected]
Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:54 am
try GHS tnt's they are heavy on the low side and light on high,10 to52 ,i like them they last 5 rehersals or 1 show ,and they arent crazy on the price,i play psycobilly but zakk wilde turned me on to them ,right on
#3986 by tonyo3366
Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:44 pm
epi_lespaul445 wrote:i've used super slinkys for almost two years, and heard from a local musician that elixir nano's are the things. tose haven't been doing me good either. give me some info on stronger strings.....
"GHS Boomers or Gibsons have always worked for me.
Also D'addrios will work in a pinch, however don't last as Long."
Tony O.
#4102 by pignose22
Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:14 pm
Maybe this will help. I play a lot and use both 9's and 10's. But the main thing is maintenance on your strings after every gig. After playing your strings they are subject to the oil, sweat from your hands Which makes a build up causing the strings to start sound not as sharp as you would like. I have been dealing with a string problem for a long time. Down here in the south it is very moist. It gets to where you can't slide your fingers as you would like and your palm can't slide to well up and down you neck either. I have tryed it all, but this is what works for me. I have found that deadairo or GHS's work fine for this. I clean each string With alcohol or a string cleaner of your preference then I wipe down the neck and each string with Dr. Duck's AxWax. Just apply it to the strings with a small cloth then wipe them down to not have to much. Than wipe down the back of your neck with it also. It never totally dries. Wipe your neck off good and always have the same rag just for this. This has been working for me. Remember use another rag as far wiping your hands and stuff. Try it you may like it. Skeeter.
#4129 by Stonecrossing
Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:39 am
You might want to try D'Addario or DR strings. The construction of these strings is much tighter and have better intonation factors than slinky's or Elixirs. Cleaning the entire diameter of the string after each playing session (rather than just the top of the string, like what most players do) can help maintain the string life. Also, if you're playing an electric guitar the adjustment of your pickups, as well as the type of metal used in the pole pieces can also degrade your string quality. Many pick up types, if to high up can cause the strings to continuously vibrate even when the guitar isn't being played, which will cause the strings to wear much faster.

I hope this info helps!

Boogie- of Stonecrossing