This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#39889 by MarcPollittLeeds
Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:33 pm
I know people probably do this all the time and maybe you guys are all a bit bored of it but could you check out my profile and give me a bit of feedback on the vid i just posted. Its my first YouTube video.

The song is All These Things That Ive Done by the Killers. I know its not exactly the hardest song in the world but (constructive) feedback would be appreciated

http://bandmix.co.uk/livinjoke84/

#39891 by stillkicken
Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 pm
You are still young, step away from the #!%$@$%@$ covers and work on original stuff. Theres like 600,000 million decent guitar players in this world that can play covers.

#39966 by MarcPollittLeeds
Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:43 am
Well i'd love to get my own stuff together but i aint got a band so its kinda hard.

I could easily throw a few chords together but just me playing that on my own without drums, bass and vocals is gonna get really boring really quickly when put on video isnt it

#39984 by Kramerguy
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Hope your up for some extremely constructive, but somewhat brutal criticisms.

1. Never video yourself playing along with a recorded version of a song. It's tasteless, boring, and makes you look like a tool.

2. It's acceptable to use backing tracks and upload in the same manner to get feedback on your playing. But that's it. Not something that should be abused (and I have abused it in the past, so I'm criticising myself too)

3. Playing by yourself, and recording, whether audio or video, is the best practice you can possibly get. When you watch it back, focus on how well you play the verses and chorus lines. This is your rhythm and it should be the best part of your playing skills, if you ever want to land a band, clean and solid rhythm is an absolute necessity. I can't stress that enough.

4. Make sure your guitar is in tune. Perfectly. I mention it because your tuning sounds a bit sharp in that video.

Actually, that wasn't that brutal lol. Keep at it. Get a metronome. use it every chance you get.

#39986 by RhythmMan
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:06 pm
$100 for a "Zoom."
Every rhythm and tempo you could hope for is built - in.
Watch your knee bouncing as you tap your foot. Make sure it synchronizes perfectly with the drums.

#39997 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:00 pm
"lighten up, Kramer".. lol

(quid pro quo)

#40037 by MarcPollittLeeds
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 am
Kramerguy wrote:Hope your up for some extremely constructive, but somewhat brutal criticisms.

1. Never video yourself playing along with a recorded version of a song. It's tasteless, boring, and makes you look like a tool.
that brutal lol.

Im not gonna take offence at that cos its true. I know videoing yourself playing along to a recorded version of a song isnt exactly the best way to showcase your skills and its not something im overly comfortable with to be honest. The fact is im rather strapped for cash so i cant afford anything remotely fancy that can provide me with backing tracks etc, the best i can manage is putting a cd in the Hi-Fi and playing along with it. The only thing i have thats even close to recording equipment is my digital camera.

I wanna get myself in a band and i thought having a bit of an example of what i can play (even though the song in question isnt exactly rocket science) might help. The fact is theres thousands of people on here with profiles that dont make themselves stand out at all. Its impossible to tell someones ability without hearing them play, thats kinda why i put it up, its not a self indulgent thing or anything like that.

I personally was fairly happy with the take and thought it came out sounding pretty clean and in time, although im sure you guys whove been playing a lot longer than me may disagree a little.

Im just trying my best here, like we all are

#40046 by stillkicken
Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:17 pm
[quote="LivinJoke84"]Well i'd love to get my own stuff together but i aint got a band so its kinda hard.

Geeze

#40050 by philbymon
Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:57 pm
LJ - it's okay. At least you put something up, & it gives us an idea of your abilities. Thanks, & keep working on it all.

#40059 by Kramerguy
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:41 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:"lighten up, Kramer".. lol

(quid pro quo)

HAH!

Touche`!!

ok.. you got me on that one

#40060 by Kramerguy
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:43 pm
Hey LJ, I'd recommend you just record yourself, with nothing behind you. Can't tell if you got rhythm when you are playing along with the song.

I do give you kudos for trying. You are already a step ahead of every person on this site who was too lazy to put up a simple demo. Desire to play and improve in my book beats the better player with lack of desire.

#40061 by stillkicken
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm
Well said Kramerguy, and I'd add that not putting up anything is like going to a nude beach and wearing clothes. Kind of cheating.

#40081 by Kramerguy
Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:56 pm
stillkicken wrote:Well said Kramerguy, and I'd add that not putting up anything is like going to a nude beach and wearing clothes. Kind of cheating.

I love that analogy, but it didn't seem to fit just right. So I will alter it slightly-

It's kind of like going to a nude beach, fully clothed, and telling everyone that your body is better than everyone else's. :lol:

#40100 by neanderpaul
Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:22 am
stillkicken wrote:Well said Kramerguy, and I'd add that not putting up anything is like going to a nude beach and wearing clothes. Kind of cheating.

Rofl! That's beautiful!

#40124 by philbymon
Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 pm
That IS funny!

But Paul - I expected something truly enlightening about recording from you of all ppl, since you are so damned good at it!

Check out Paul's stuff, LJ. He's done some very cool recordings.