This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#37762 by Hayden King
Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm
Nancy Wilson? c'mon now!
Greatest Slide Player:::::: DEREK TRUCKS (and fantastic over all)
Last edited by Hayden King on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

#37763 by JazzGtr
Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:52 pm
Jimi Hendrix!

Here's a list of all the things that he contiributed to:

1. Schooled every guitar player on the planet how a guitar can sound
2. Created Rock Music
3. Made the Fender Strat what it is today
4. Made Marshall Amps what is is today
5. Jimi Effect Pedals
6. Jimi Hendrix Hall of Famer
7. Playing with teeth

Most guitar players would have not had a clue how to play a guitar if it was for the like of Jimi.

GOD Bless Him!

#37809 by Andragon
Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:40 am
Yea Nancy, man. BARRACUDAAAAA! :twisted:
Love the intro riff 8)

#39726 by BobbyAlan
Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 am
How about, Les Paul and Chet Atkins....

#39731 by Hayden King
Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:58 am
already got em early in post. howabout Lonny Mack? as far as expression goes...ya cant beat Jimi or David Gilmore...Jimmy page is in there too...and then there is the one n only Jeff Beck (there aint never been never gonna be one like him)

#39765 by Kramerguy
Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:52 pm
Hayden King wrote:Nancy Wilson? c'mon now!
Greatest Slide Player:::::: DEREK TRUCKS (and fantastic over all)

While Nancy wasn't my personal inspiration, she's a fantastic guitarist who's as deserving as anybody of the distinction. Check out some of their early stuff, especially live versions of dreamboat annie, she does stuff that I find amazing.
#39803 by Killbuck
Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:03 pm
sexguitar wrote:Who do you think the overall best guitarist is?

This includes sound, experimentation, skill/speed or anything else that made thios guitarist legendary.

Tell us why and don't be afraid to cite particular albums or songs, just shy away from hatin' on other ppl or their opinions.

Thanks and keep rockin'!

Based on this criteria... I have to say Joe Satriani. The dude has chops to spare and his music spans one of the wider ranges of styles I have heard. Nearly every song has something that amazed me the first time I heard it.

As for most influential, that is too hard because players of different genres of music are inspired by different musicians. I think Jimi Hendrix is way up there because he inspired so many rock musicians and rock is a huge genre. Personally, Ace Frehley inspired me to pick up a guitar 25+ years ago.

#39849 by Kramerguy
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:18 am
damn, I forgot about Ace, he was like the Clapton of heavy glam rock!

dude kicked some serious butt in the early days.

Also mentionable is George Lynch, Warren DiMartini, and Jake E Lee - all 80's wankers, but really brought something special in their own way to the world of guitar. Sorry if I repeated anyone on any of those.

#39869 by Hayden King
Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 am
sorry bro but I just cant put Nancy Wilson in there with the best. She is good, but there are literally 1000 hot guitarist in Nashville that would smoke her ass.
I still have to go with Jeff Beck for most original and Stanley Jordan for best

#40518 by Black57
Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:09 pm
Know that I am not a guitarist, but I am influenced deeply by many who play their ax well. I am a Stanley Jordan fan and I have signed up to study composition with him. Pat Matheney and the Late Michael Hedges are also important influences. Billy Mclaughlin, especially, sticks out there strongly. :wink: I don't want a drill about whose better or who sucks...these are who have influenced me and I don't even play guitar.

#40532 by acehole
Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:32 pm
hendrix

#40585 by Alfredo Herz
Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:39 pm
I think there is no answer to that question. It is almost like asking what is the best color.

#40587 by Hayden King
Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:52 pm
Black...until they make something darker!

hey

#43614 by DrRob
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:35 am
how about steve morse (Dixie Dregs)? he pretty much stole the crown in the late 70s and early 80s. He still kicks butt with Deep Purple now (cant quite figure out how that happened). Check out this early number

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohubM8Hls4

#43635 by Andragon
Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:28 pm
Wow. Sounds like bluegrass surf punk :D
Definitely interesting.