This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#3218 by Auburn Diva
Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:54 pm
We've all shared our victory stories, but not every story has a happy ending. Share your stories of defeat, humiliation; whatever you can laugh about in hindsight. Here's mine:
Last night, last set, killer outdoor stage at Biketoberfest. We played a kickass set & were finishing strong with Here For The Party. I was really feeling it, so I climbed up on the drum riser to jump off. The guitarist was in the way, so I jumped to the side, & when I landed I dislocated my knee. I had to pop it back in manually while I laid there on the stage. OUCH!!! I was hurt & humiliated, but I managed to squeak out the last line of the song. Best of all, the band never missed a beat!

#3223 by Doctor Bob
Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:43 am
Sorry to hear about your "mishap" Julie....................

At least you finished the show, and left the crowd with something to talk about :oops:

No permanent damage I hope

#3241 by Auburn Diva
Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:55 am
Thanks, Bob. I"ll be on crutches for a while, but I don't think there's any permanant damage. Would you believe that after all that (plus bartending all week whenever I wasn't on stage) the guy refused to pay me? I'm so mad I could spit! Can you say "litigation"???

#3245 by Chemical Residue
Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:39 am
If its a contract, yes...verbal agreement, no....Unless....other band members witness or were told themselves....

#3265 by Irminsul
Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:50 pm
Ouch.

I never injured myself like that, but I do recall a major mishap during a big opening show were doing for The Connells some years ago. I was playing keyboards for that band at the time (On Beyond Zebra) and I guess the road help didnt properly tighten all the parts of the keyboard stand - because right in the middle of our set, four frickin keyboards came crashing down on each other - to the accompaniment of the most amazing smash you ever heard through a PA system.

Amazingly, none of them were internally damaged. But that was the most uncomfortable seconds on stage I had experienced before, or since.

#3273 by Auburn Diva
Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:11 am
OMG that's SO FUNNY! I'm sure you felt as if someone had pulled down your pants at that particular moment, but in hindsight I bet you laugh your ass off just thinking about it. During one of our sets this past week (pre-injury, of course) I learned the hard way that if you accidentally step on your mic cable it can come unplugged just as you bring it to your mouth to sing. Hello, duck tape, anyone??? Now I know why I prefer wireless! Equipment malfunctions are definitely a momentary heart-stopper, but usually make for hilarious war stories.
#3280 by Guest
Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:18 pm
I had to dig deep but I do remember somewhat of an equipment malfunction during performance thanks to my enept playing.During a good rock tune I caught a glimpse of a spark out of the corner of my eye but yet not seeing what had happened until it was too late........Some how I hit the wingnut on my crash cymbal that went flying off leaving the cymbal exposed to going on its own at the next crash and it did!!!Although embarrassed I think the fans feel for your agony as you are trying so hard to give them a good show.It's continuing on through the rough times that make me feel like a pro..........

Jon

#3285 by Irminsul
Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 pm
AuburnDiva your story reminded me of this incident that was on YouTube just a little whilke ago. It's a Latin singer who decides, involuntarily, to take a little stage dive....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoXFHiBUBAA

Don't let that happen to you!

#3287 by RhythmMan
Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 pm
Gee, that reminds me.
In the early 70's, I went to a Peter Framton Concert, in Hartford, CT (Colt Park).
Gary Write was the warm up band.
Anyway, when Frampton came on, he came running out, smiling & waving.
He must have been blinded by the light or something, because he ran right off the edge of the stage, headfirst onto the ground, 6 - 7 feet below.
Ohh, man! We all thought he must have gotten hurt, and that they'd cancel the concert . . .
Security helped him away, and he came back about 5 - 10 minutes later, unfazed.
I'll bet he wouldn't mind forgetting that incident.
But it was a great concert.

#3570 by PapaMidnight
Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 am
we were doing an outdoor show before we launch into light my fire I step up to the mike to get everyone fired up ,next thing I see a blue flash, I go sailing backwards into the drums my mind is totaly blank and I look at my arm and I have six string burn marks on it .everyone thougt I got hit by lightning ,they had the grounds all screwed up ,Im glad I'm still here to laugh about it ..oh yes someone had it on tape it did look kinda funny,so take heed and check for yourself

#3954 by Tessa
Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:11 pm
NJ here, hi kids! I have to agree with rajon 111! When you keep on performing, whether it's a mistake on your own part or something out of your control, it makes you feel like you really know what you're doing even though I still wonder sometimes IF I know what I'm doing! It's all fun and you gotta have fun. Sounds a little like philosophy, but, mistakes make you wiser and when when you fall and get backup, you're stronger, right Julie? Feel better! Ciao!

#3956 by Auburn Diva
Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:48 pm
Yep, Tessa, you're absolutely right! Coming out of a train wreck with your boots still on makes you feel invincible! All sorts of people told me how professional it was of me to finish the song (even though at the time it didn't feel like it). I just kept thinking about the movie "Rockstar" when Mark Wahlberg's character fell down the steps at his first concert with Steel Dragon. He was hurt & humiliated, but he got up & finished the song, & got mass respect for it. I got a lot of respect from my bandmates, the people in the audience, & the other musicians in the area.

#3959 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:47 pm
This was a few years ago but I recall a Pro band (can't remember who...I guess brain cells don't regenerate) but either the bass or guitar player threw their guitar way up in the air and it came down landing on his head knocking him out for a moment. As he was crawling on stage the lead singer, now knowing what happened, gave him a kick in the ass while he crawled by.

Man, it was hilarious, a performers nightmare and a half !!

If anyone knows who the band was, please let me know.....thanks !!