This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#14675 by wild_eyed_drummer
Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:35 pm
I just went to an audition last night and played on a roland v-drum kit for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised. They are a decent set up with good voices and response. They still have a ways to go comapred to acoustic drums but were still quite impressive for electronic drums. I've never had much faith in electronic drums but these are not that bad. They definitely take a little getting used to in regards of stick response on the pad as it still feels like a practice pad. The snare is different though with it's screen type surface which provides a little more lifelike response. They're a great jamming kit for people with less room to set up a kit. The cymbals were dissapointing but then again I never really got to explore all the options within the program.

I just wanted to hear a bit more feedback from other drummers and their opinions of v-drums. Especially forom someone who plays them on a regular basis. I think they're OK but still have a lot of making up to do to get to the sound of good acoustic drums. I personally play on a Mapex saturn series kit and don't think I'll be joining the electronis ranks full time anytime soon.
#14904 by No1drummer19
Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:35 am
I Play on V-Drums all the time and would never go back to acoustic drums. What do you mean they have a long way to go, V-drums are ten times better than acoustic drums. If you know how to use them you would agree. I have a TD-20 and TD-10 modules that powers my set, I have individual outs for each group on my drums like toms, snare, bass drum, crash, Hi Hat, and ride. So you use up about the same amount of channels as an acoustic set. But I have control over them; I can change to a different sounding set in a hart beat. Or if I’m playing a song that requires heavy toms I can turn them up. It’s amazing what you can do with them. Acoustic drums you just play, Not V-Drums their in a league all their own!!! Check out my profile and see and hear No1drummer19

#14997 by wild_eyed_drummer
Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:48 pm
You defintely have a great sound going on there No1drummer. The drums themselves were actually quite good and with a bit of time to explore the programs and set them up right I'm sure I'd get them to where I want them. However I noticed that you were playing real cymbals for the most part. That was the real let down for me in the v-drum kit. The hi-hats however were pressure sensitive and were able to be made splashy,tight,open etc. so they were ok. I still prefer my acoustic drums but do see a lot of potential for v-drums. If I have more time to mess with them I'll get them to sound the way I want, but I'm quite technologically challenged. Keep the beat always.

#16235 by Click Track
Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:34 pm
I have an acoustical and a set of Roland's, they both have there place in my world. I play the Roland's when volume is a concern, the others when it's not. But to compare the two I prefer the acoustics over the Roland's! BECAUSE an acoustic set has a million more voices then the Roland's, there are things you can do with acoustics that don't even compare to the Roland's, but they do have there place and the drums sound great, but the cymbals need something that I don't think you can achieve from samples

#18740 by TravisTDS
Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:05 am
I have to agree with Click Track. There is a place in the world for the Roland V-Drums, and a place for the accoustics. I love my Pearl drums and REAL cymbals. I have a Roland V kit... and I use it for church services in a christian contemporary band and they leave me yearning for an accoustic kit every time. I agree that you can change sets and voices on the fly, and control the volume of each voice directly and not rely on the guy behind the board.... but. There is no way you will ever convince me that you can get the dynamics or the sounds out of the V's cymbals that you can get from the real thing... ever. Yes, it is easy to have complete control of the Roland kit. No tuning and tweaking if you choose, just run right out of the box. There is much more of an art with the accoustic kit, you tune, customize, and the amazing complexity of sounds from an accoustic kit cannot be replaced. The Roland cannot replicate the sounds of drum hoops, stands, shells, cymbals, and even a good flam on the mesh heads.

Like I said... I own a set of V-Drums and they serve a purpose but will never take the place of my accoustic kit.

-Travis Schmit
Last edited by TravisTDS on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#18749 by neanderpaul
Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:57 pm
I am NOT a drummer. I have a cheesy little argent kit. I have talked to some drummers who complain that an electronic kit will after time not respond in perfect time. Give you a little millisecond delay or half second delay. That would make me crazy! Like some guitar effects (like some octave shifts) that give a delay. I just can't hang with that.
#19093 by Click Track
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:45 pm
No1drummer19 wrote:I Play on V-Drums all the time and would never go back to acoustic drums. What do you mean they have a long way to go, V-drums are ten times better than acoustic drums. If you know how to use them you would agree. I have a TD-20 and TD-10 modules that powers my set, I have individual outs for each group on my drums like toms, snare, bass drum, crash, Hi Hat, and ride. So you use up about the same amount of channels as an acoustic set. But I have control over them; I can change to a different sounding set in a hart beat. Or if I’m playing a song that requires heavy toms I can turn them up. It’s amazing what you can do with them. Acoustic drums you just play, Not V-Drums their in a league all their own!!! Check out my profile and see and hear No1drummer19

Hey #1 I guess You eat from the can. What I mean is that if someone didn't prepare it for you it can't be good. well I can't stomach that one. You can do so much better on real drums then you can on canned drums, for you not to realize that you either don't know how to play real drums or are to lazy to make them sound good. By the way, if you need to make the toms louder, use heavier sticks or learn how to attack with more aggression. It's easy to turn them on and sound like a rock star, but it takes a real musician to develop his own style and technique. Try the real thing and create you own sound. Like I said, they do have there place but it's not at the front of the line. :P And neanderpaul, it is aggravating when the set can't keep up with you, I find that on the bass drum alot. And when you tweak the set from factory settings, well that's to much to process for them and makes them miss and / or delay even more. Still love my Acoustics. By the way, Love your stuff. CT

#19136 by TravisTDS
Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 pm
Well done Click Track! You said what I wanted to say, but I held my tongue. If you can't tune, or can't use technique to get the sound you want, then stick with the Roland type kits.

#20057 by kord
Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:48 am
I have both Acoustic and Roland Vdrums (ExpTD10). They each have their place. For a lot of the cover songs our band plays I use the Rolands. This allows me to change the sounds of the drums to match the song (i.e. to change from a Police song to something from Zepp). No way you could do that w/ Acoustic. When I do play the Rolands I use my Acoustic Cymbals though (including the HH) and mic them in with the Digital kit.. Best of both worlds.. :D

#26867 by In-Deliberation
Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:17 am
I have a Peal acoustic kit and Rolannd V-Drums.
I use the acoustic kit for band practice (at a friend’s) and for gigs.
I use the V-drums for recording and learning covers.

To me, the V-Drums are more versatile and you can do more things such as if band practice volume were an issue, everyone can plug into the mixer and plug it into a headphone patch bay and everyone use headphones. It sounds very clear and the only sound heard live would be the singer.
Another cool thing is you can plug in a CD player and adjust the volume of the CD and drums to a perfect mix and recording with V-Drums takes one 1/4 cord or Midi straight into the mixer or PC and that’s it.
I have played the V-Drums at gigs with real cymbals and it takes less than 3 mins. to be set-up, plugged in and ready to go, but I seem to enjoy playing the acoustic drums MUCH more when playing live.

#27086 by Needle in a haystack
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm
Kick-&-snare works in the mix untill you try to do fill's, then the truth comes out!! Same with toms i don't care how good you think you understand them they will never ever sound as good as acoustics drums as far as good ol R&R goes..

#33236 by 2XKICDRUMMER
Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:38 pm
I own 2 Roland electronic kits. I have the TD-10 expanded and the TD-20. Both kits have similar configurations with reguard to pads and locations of the pads. I also own 2 Pearl Accustic kits. Given any opertunity to play I have a strong preferance to the Accustic kits...however the Roland kits seem to be suited for each occaision better.

I can set them up faster, they take up less space, they can be played at a lower volume, they are so much easier to move. They sound very realistic espically if they are recorded. They feel almost as good as playing the accustic drums...so to me...they seem to fit in any oppertunity I have to play.

I have found using direct outputs for shows where you have a live soundman the drums seem to perform much better. Soundmen frown on having only 2 channels to work with the sound of the drums....but if you can provide them with direct outputs they seem to enjoy working with them more. I gave them 5 sends....Kick, Snare, Toms, Cymbals and the 5th being a Roland SPDS. That opened up the sound of them TONS and made a huge diffrence in sound.

I have plans to add Roland triggers to all the drums I have in 1 of my 2 accustic kits....plus submixing that entire kit. I will mic the drums as well and this should give me one of the most versitle sounding kits ever. Should be a blast.

Bruce

#34486 by Senior Jalapeno
Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:26 pm
I played Simmons drums in the 80's. I discovered the 8 bit technology
was crude. I tried 16 bit later own in the form of Aleissi, but still found the 1/2 sec. delay problem especially if a drummer double strokes rolls on snares, toms or bass pedal beats alot. Ride cymbal shuffle beats, like the Pocaro shuffle (Rosanna Beat) were difficult triggering too.

Electronic drums are cool for effects. And the Roland V drums do stand head and shoulders above the other kits, including <tearing> Yamahas .

#34575 by Forpetessake
Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:10 pm
I just came out of retirement after 18 years. I sold my Tama's back then and have not laid a stick on a drum for all this time.

My first kit back was a Roland HD1 vdrums kit which I am renting to own. Couldnt get the bucks together to go an buy what I really wanted. Anyway...they are great on many levels. First my wife wont get an acoustic sized headache. :lol:

Secondly I like the fact that I have 10 different kits in 1!!!

I havent gigged with it yet or jammed with anyone since I have been back but I do really like the Roland V-drums. 8)
#34607 by Tommy330
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am
No1drummer19 wrote:I Play on V-Drums all the time and would never go back to acoustic drums. What do you mean they have a long way to go, V-drums are ten times better than acoustic drums. If you know how to use them you would agree. I have a TD-20 and TD-10 modules that powers my set, I have individual outs for each group on my drums like toms, snare, bass drum, crash, Hi Hat, and ride. So you use up about the same amount of channels as an acoustic set. But I have control over them; I can change to a different sounding set in a hart beat. Or if I’m playing a song that requires heavy toms I can turn them up. It’s amazing what you can do with them. Acoustic drums you just play, Not V-Drums their in a league all their own!!! Check out my profile and see and hear No1drummer19

That must be why I see absolutely no touring drummer using electric drums. If they were 10 times better then the industry standard would be V-drums.