This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#33457 by Shredd6
Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:16 am
Hahaha.. Sometimes I didn't Sans..

The band starts practice next week. I wanted to be really prepared this time around. I just have a couple of guitars to mess with, then it's back to the hard schedule of writing and practicing..

I'm pretty sure the amp is ready.

One of these days, I'll tell you the story about what started this mess. Then you'll see why I went to this extreme.

#33477 by gbheil
Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:24 am
I will never forgive you guys for my addiction. I love my amp!
Now I need a new axe. Yea, thats the ticket.

#33507 by Shredd6
Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:10 am
Sans', One of these days you're gonna have to replace your tubes. It's still a a while away, but when you decide you have to, you just be sure to come to Dr. Shreddenstein ok.

I'll fix you right up..

If you go to Guitar Center and buy their evil modern tone killers, then all of this is worth nothing. I did all of this for the people who just either don't know anything about it, or have been misinformed. Including myself. Don't fall victim to the tattoo covered kid who just wants to sell you five of anything they have in stock and send you out the door.

I've got your back man.

:wink:

#33553 by gbheil
Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:15 pm
I know you do bro. I know you do.

#37286 by gbheil
Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:40 am
Just had to bump this old thread.
He did have my back for sure. Thanks again.

#38243 by Nathanial Hughes
Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 pm
So I have a question, does anyone know what tubes came in the early 60's Vox AC15 amps? I'm about to mod my AC15cc to a more vintage tone and I can't find that brand of tubes were in the originals. I know they're EL84's. Does anyone have experience with Mullard, RCA, Tesla, GE, Telefunken and TAD? How do they stack up to each other?

#38298 by gbheil
Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 am
Just in case Shredd6 is out of touch for a time read back over several posts on this subject. It's more complicated than just brand names. That is why I let Shredd fix me up with a set for my amp.
He did a great job. Man is well informed bout tubes and availability of same. 8)

#38427 by Shredd6
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:26 am
Eurotubes don't have what you need dude.. They only sell JJs. You need NOS tubes if you want real results.

Let me check into it and I'll get back to you ok.

In the meantime.. There's not 1 JJ tube that compares to the tubes I'd suggest.

#38430 by gbheil
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 am
The Shredd is in the building.
Hope things are going better for you bro.

#38432 by Shredd6
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:36 am
By the way.. FAT song Nathanial!! Your recording skills are phenomenal!! I wish I had your talent for it.

Give me a little time, and I'll hook you up with some really killer tubes man. You can also read some of my posts On the Mesa Boogie Board forum in the "tubes" section. I give a lot of advice there, and have sold customized tube packages to members of that forum.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.ph ... da0c913020

Can you give me an idea of what you would like your Vox to sound like, or are you specifically looking for it to sound like the way it was originally stocked?

#38434 by Shredd6
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:39 am
sanshouheil wrote:The Shredd is in the building.
Hope things are going better for you bro.

Hey man.. The van is fixed, and I'm back at work tomorrow. One day at a time Sans.. :wink:

I sold 2-more tube packages yesterday.. 5-tubes each package. I'll post you the response of the last guy that bought one. He was looking for a Vintage tone for his classic cover band. I freakin nailed Joe Perry's sound (Aerosmith) on a Mesa.

#38436 by Shredd6
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:43 am
This is what it's all about Sans..

"I am very impressed. When I turned it on it was on the clean channel and I was so impressed wih the first chord I struck that I continued to twist knobs and the improvements kept coming. Then off to the lead channel. I am totally blown away at the differnt amp that I have now. I can not put into words the satisfaction that I have with your tube choice.

Consider me a reference if anyone asks. You know what you are doing for sure.

Now, I would like two more sets of the same. Can that be done over a small period of time? Please let me know. I have another Mark I'd like to put them in and one backup set to have in the road case of hte C+.

I am extremely grateful for your time and commitment to this re-tube for me. The money was nothing compared to the smarts and work you did for me.

Thank you kindly!

Russ "

That's what keeps me sane bro. It really made me feel good to help someone else out with their amp problem. I just like doing it.

#38448 by Nathanial Hughes
Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:57 am
Shredd6 wrote:By the way.. FAT song Nathanial!! Your recording skills are phenomenal!! I wish I had your talent for it.

Give me a little time, and I'll hook you up with some really killer tubes man. You can also read some of my posts On the Mesa Boogie Board forum in the "tubes" section. I give a lot of advice there, and have sold customized tube packages to members of that forum.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.ph ... da0c913020

Can you give me an idea of what you would like your Vox to sound like, or are you specifically looking for it to sound like the way it was originally stocked?

Hey Shredd, thanks for the compliment! I went to school for Audio Engineering and Producing so that's the reason it sounds like it does. Plus I have a little obsession with layering things :) (Beatles fan). Very cool, thank you for helping me out. It means a lot! I'd say the ideal tone/sound I'm going for is that vintage "Invasion" sound but with a little more beef to it. I'd be interested to know what I would need to get for it to sound like it was originally stocked as well, because I might want to compare the differences and choose which one I like best.

#38492 by gbheil
Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 pm
Yea Shredd I know how he feels. Was playing "LIfe" the other night with the soak cranked way past what I was able to employ before without getting total mud. Going to find a way to throw in some phaser now.
It'll be sweet.