This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#32045 by Franny
Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 pm
Instigator wrote:(usually on my stomach, and lifting my head up to watch TV) my left arm would go numb down into the hand effecting mostly the thumb. As soon as I would change position, it would go back to normal. I also have noticed a stiffness in the.
Yes, one of the "joys" of getting older. I sometimes hurt/injure my own shoulders just through daily movement. Played Baseball alot when i was younger, i blame that for my shoulders (rotator cuff?).
Instigator, it sounds like you're pinching something in your neck when doing that style of TV watching, betcha if you somehow got your neck to "crack" that symptom would go away; well, not while you're doing that laying down, neck lifting thing of course, you'll just keep reinjuring your neck if you continue that practice.

Getting old sure does suck, especially when all the compound injuries start showing up. :cry:

#32094 by gbheil
Wed May 21, 2008 11:42 pm
Amen: Some mornings I can feel every motorcycle wreck, bad fall and knockout. When I went to have x ray done on my shoulder the Dr wanted to know when I broke the crooked healed clavicle. Huh, I didnt know it was broke.

#32108 by Paleopete
Thu May 22, 2008 3:31 am
Played Baseball alot when i was younger, i blame that for my shoulder

Baseball...uggg...

Baseball is why I now have two weather vanes for knees. Nothing like sliding in home...and twisting an ankle or knee in the process...or both...on one occasion the home plate was about an inch above the surrounding dirt, I didn't know it and grass and the plate took skin with it from my right knee to hip, and for about 6 inches below the knee, along with knocking the knee and ankle around so hard I couldn't walk for 15 or 20 minutes...now I can tell you when the weather is about to change 2 days in advance.

That slide was also what convinced me professional baseball was not such a good idea, I knew I'd be in surgery for knee replacement before I was 25, I quit playing unless I had to for gym class, which is where the home plate got me to begin with. And that was only one of over a dozen beat up knees an ankles, plus having 6 guys twice my size piled on top of me on the odd occasion I would give in and play football...40 years later I'm paying for it big time...

#32217 by Dave Huffman
Fri May 23, 2008 8:06 pm
I had surgery on my left wrist about 5 or 6 years ago & now I need it on the right one also.
I have played drums since 1965 off & on & also worked in boiler room operations in the Navy & hospitals after the service. Lots of writting & typing plus heavy mechanical work when needed.
I was playing drum in a Southern Rock Tribute Band when my right wrist & hand started to go bad. I got so I couldn't hold a stick in my right hand & gave up that gig. It was a pretty loud band & I was beating the crap out of my drums. Later when playing in a Classic Rock band I didn't have those problems but now it is back real bad.I will have the surgery as all the other fixes didn't work on the left side.
Dave H. :D

#32229 by gbheil
Fri May 23, 2008 10:07 pm
Dang Dave. H must be for hardluck. Hope it all works out for ya.

#32287 by The Hunter
Sun May 25, 2008 1:23 am
Take every precaution.

#32516 by Black57
Wed May 28, 2008 1:32 am
I just want to make you all aware that there is a malady that is often misdiagnosed as CP. However, many musicians acquire what is called focal dystonia for which there is no cure. One treatment that works for some is botox. There is a forum called musicians with Dystonia and you should check it out. Also check out The Dysotonia Foundation. It is important that we all know about this. I will return with some sites and nor info.

#32519 by Shredd6
Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 am
Cool.. You definitely should post that info.

But as it turned out..*drum roll*

I had pulled muscles and tendons in my hand.. The diagnosis for carpal tunnel was negative.. My hand is fine now. I start work again on Thursday.

I went to a different doctor for a second opinion, and I'm cured after a physical therapy program under their direction. Heat, electricity, and silly putty.. Oh yea.. And a splint.

I'm back dude... It's on like Donkey Kong!! :twisted:

#32520 by gbheil
Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 am
Hell yes!! Back in black! Be ye aware that what ever you did to strain those muscles and tendons still lurks in the dark places of the earth. Having once been under their evil spell you are ever suseptable.
BEWARE THE DARK PLACES. Or just be more carefull :D

#32521 by philbymon
Wed May 28, 2008 1:55 am
Zip!

DO NOT FLAP YOUR HAND AROUND!

That is what most likely caused my ulna nerve prob's! I was pushing too hard on the bass, not warming up, playing too long, etc...& THEN, when it bugged me, I would flap it around to make it feel better. Worst thing I could have done!

Massage it. Stetch it. Run it under warm water. Rest it. Do NOT flap it around.

Please listen to this, if you never hear anything else I say, Zip.

It will cause you troubles in your hand. It puts undue strain on that ulna nerve, & basically ruins it. My op hasn't fixed my prob, either. Still have the deadened feeling in my left hand's 3rd & 4th fingers, they get weak quickly, & feel cold easily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey shredd6! That IS good news!! Good for you! Keep at it, but GENTLY as she goes.

#32522 by gtZip
Wed May 28, 2008 2:10 am
Alright Phil, I'll listen. My flapping days are over.
I will only stretch and massage from now on.
It's just not something I really thought much about. On certain songs it bugs me, so in between the problem song and the next I flap. Or would flap.
Done flappin.

#32524 by Black57
Wed May 28, 2008 2:24 am
:) Glad to see all is well. This is a site about the Dystonia Foundation. I actually am posting the newsletter that appeared towards the end of 2007. It is about the Minnesota guitarist, billy Mclaughlin who was diagnosed with focal dystonia. It nearly ruined his carreer. See what he did prevent that from happening.

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/page ... 1.php?id=4

#32619 by gbheil
Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 pm
OHCRAPIFLAPTOO! :shock:

#32803 by HowlinJ
Sat May 31, 2008 3:07 pm
Shredd6,

Much relieved to hear about the negative carpal tunnel diagnosis! :D

I have been thinkin' about you lately, as I have Burn stuck in my head, and
I've been hankerin for one of those bitchin' Shreddin'Teddy supper Bar-BQ'ed, Los Vegan stakes.
Also, I am about to embark on building the staircase for my new house
, so if you're in the neighborhood, stop on by!

HowlinJ

#32808 by Craig Maxim
Sat May 31, 2008 6:14 pm
Craig Maxim wrote:
I don't think you've done permanent damage. I just have a feeling.

It will be alright.

I'm just quoting myself. ;-)