This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#32489 by gigdoggy
Tue May 27, 2008 7:23 pm
Some time ago i posted a topic about what the hardest part about being in a band was, and was quite amazed by the number of replies it got.

Now lets try the opposite:
What's the easiest part about being in a band?

Is it the shows, the companionship between musicians, the creative process, the chicks (or dudes for tha ladies), the fame??

I am just wondering if this will get as many hits...

Woof!

The Way Bands do it: http://www.gigdoggy.com

#32494 by jw123
Tue May 27, 2008 8:21 pm
I think the best part is a good gig and the attention that goes with it. You know people telling you how great you and the band are and how you made their night and when are you playing again. Theres a certain buzz to it all. I raced motorcycles for a couple of years and winning a big race was kinda the same feeling.

I always enjoyed when other guitarist came up and said man you got great tone. Of course that would start a 30 min conversation on guitar tone with me.

#32495 by Kramerguy
Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 pm
jw123 wrote:I think the best part is a good gig and the attention that goes with it. You know people telling you how great you and the band are and how you made their night and when are you playing again. Theres a certain buzz to it all. I raced motorcycles for a couple of years and winning a big race was kinda the same feeling.

I always enjoyed when other guitarist came up and said man you got great tone. Of course that would start a 30 min conversation on guitar tone with me.

what he said. Can't really add to it.

#32502 by Rockstar907
Tue May 27, 2008 9:21 pm
[b]after going through the hardest part (finding the right people, acquiring the right equipment, finding a place to practice, deciding which songs to play), the easiest part of being in a band is playing live, because (supposedly!) all the b.s. has been taken care of and then it's just time to rock. so after going through all the days, weeks, or months of getting everything ready for the gig, the four hours (10pm-2am? that's what we do)that you play in the clubs should be the funnest moment of your life.

rock on[/quote]

#32508 by fisherman bob
Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 pm
The easiest part about being in a band is playing, whether rehearsing or gigging. I'm assuming the band is composed of qualfied people who know what they're doing. The hard part of a band is hopefully behind you when you've got a band ready to play. Later...

#32510 by gbheil
Wed May 28, 2008 12:14 am
I dont know bout easy. Best part is playing. God I love that feeling of making music with the other guys. Its a simular rush or should I say hightened sense of being alive I used to get while fighting. Or a final stalk for the kill while on a hunt. Oh yea baby!
There is also a strong sense of family in our band. For the most part humanity sucks, I get a renewal of spirit when jammin with the boys.

#32534 by Black57
Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 am
The easiest part is performing. Practice, PR, monetary negotiating...you know the business part of being in a band is no fun at all. It is a necessity.
But it is where the business leads you, the stage, that makes it fun. "Normal" people would never get up on stage to do what we do. But it is what happens to those people when we do what we do. Playing is fun, that is why it is called "play". Once we get on the stage to play, jaws drop and you are no longer human. We become icons. I have had numerous marriage proposals from guys who would not have given me the time of day before seeing me on stage. 8) Musicians are the cool people on the planet...it's easy.

And like others have said, musicians are a family. Music is the only time I can be one of the boys. I know nothing about football or politics. But get me around anything musical and me and my boys ( and gurls ) can talk all day.
#32578 by ezen
Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm
I would have to say....
Free beer and a shot of Jagermeister.
:shock:
B)

#32596 by The KIDD
Wed May 28, 2008 7:10 pm
SHEESH!! Easy?..Never thought of that word much in context of band business..During my 17 yr stint, the only thing I can think of is consistantly keeping my BAC at a .20 or better..Maybe sleepin on the bus from Burlington IA to Austin TX etc...Maybe playin Pin ball, Space Invaders, Galaga (no good at pac man).. :lol: ...Actuallly, the easiest would be performing while the love of your life (that week..lol) who traveled 12 hrs to see ya is watching...

John

#32615 by gbheil
Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 pm
I'm voten for her free beer!

#32667 by Axesligner for hire
Thu May 29, 2008 3:37 pm
Not sure it's the easiest, but the best is playing live. After you've done the work of putting the show together, getting the songs just right, practicing and rehearsing and everything that goes with that.

Getting out, playing live, hearing the crowd, watching them dance and sing along. Gets the blood flowing.

#32821 by HowlinJ
Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:07 am
Reachin' yo hand out after the gig and GETTIN' PAID! :wink:

#32837 by philbymon
Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:26 pm
The easiest part of being in a band is having ppl to help you load that heavy-assed equipment around.

Next to that is having someone cover for you when your vocals are hurting cuzza a cold or something.

The stuff I like best, though, is the comaraderie, the beautiful blend of tones (if you can ever get there), the surprizingly great things that can happen by accident, & the feeling that we are gods when a night goes just so. I also like covering for someone else when they need it.

When it's really good, the audience doesn't even matter. There have been times that, as a group, it was the closest thing I ever had to perfection, & we had to remind each other to relate to the ppl out there.

Damn I love music!

#32847 by Crip2Nite
Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:38 pm
The easiest part for me is actually performing onstage... everything else leading up to it ( the drive, setting it up, lugging the crap, etc) sux!

#32865 by Groove-in
Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:48 pm
I agree with Howlin J :)