This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Sell your guitars here.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#594 by seba
Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:40 am
GUITAR LESSONS --- theory, harmony, technique (sweep picking, tapping, two-hand tapping, whammy bar,...), improvisation, composition.

If you are interested in taking classes send me an email with your name and phone number at [email protected]

check out my profile here to find out more about me:

http://bandmix.com/profile53806.html

#595 by bluesdad
Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:04 pm
probably the best guitar player ever is Andres Segovia,saw him once and he was fantastic.

#596 by swansonblake
Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:08 pm
I think the best guitar player ever was stevie ray vaughn. he was just.........wow!

#597 by Guest
Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:11 pm
I think Randy Rhoades could be put in this category 8)
#598 by Andy Cole
Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:14 pm
I'll have to go with Stevie Ray too. Saw him at the N.O. Jazz Fest the year he was killed, and I've never heard anything like that in my life. Seen Clapton live, BB King, Kenny Wayne, Vai...etc. But SRV was the best I've seen.

#599 by GruppeSechs
Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:18 am
noone can beat Eddie Van Halen or even Yngwie Malmsteen! try sweep-picking 64th note arpeggios!

#600 by Hugh Chardon
Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:02 am
[quote="GruppeSechs"]noone can beat Eddie Van Halen or even Yngwie Malmsteen! try sweep-picking 64th note arpeggios![/quote]

YES! Those just scream feeling and emotion!!

#601 by Branes
Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:06 pm
I've seen that question asked a million times over the last 40 years and my answer is always: In what genre? and how do you determine best?

It is so subjective. Segovia is without a doubt the "best" classical player of the modern era. Carlos Montoya, the master of flamenco,
Joe Pass can be considered the master of traditional jazz guitar by some,
George Benson or Pat Matheny may be considered the best modern style jazz players, but there are a lot of great jazz guitarists around now. Acoustic guitar..Leo Kottke or John Fahey.

Rock...God who knows? there are so many great guitarists, that in rock you have to break down the categories even more.
Is Clapton better than Page, is Steve Vai better than Satriani? How can anyone judge and what criteria do you use? Speed? Technique? IF speed and technique were the only criteria, Clapton wouldn't even be considered. Nobody would say that his technique or speed would make him stand out from the crowd, but it's his phrasing and melodic sense that makes him great and more than anything else, his "feel". That indefinable something that great guitarists always have. Their unique signature. Take Carlos Santana, for example. He's not a great guitar technician, yet the way he can bend a note and hold it, and the emotion he can get from one note makes you just look at him with awe and think "wow." I've seen and played with hundreds of guys with degrees from Berkeley or GIT with the fastest chops, but they are like robots..no soul to their playing. I'm 54 and have been playing over 40 years. If there's anything I can offer to young guitarists, it's this...develop your own style, don't try to copy someone else. Learn from them, but don't try to be them. Your personality translated to the instrument is what will make you stand out among the thousands of other similarly capable musicians. Trust me on this, I've played with Jerry Garcia, Stephen Stills, John Fogarty and many others and I'm no hotter than anyone else. They just liked my style.

It all boils down to who's style you like. To try to put a "Greatest Guitar Player ever" title on any player is useless. Once a player gets to the level where they are even considered for that titlle, there's no accurate way to judge him/her.

#602 by Guest
Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:11 pm
When it comes to the question, "Who is the best guitarist ever?" I like to compare the Hard Rock era of Jimi Hendrix against the Blues era of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I think Hendrix was the best at creating new sounds on the guitar. And while called the best guitar player by many, actually he was the first guitar player to do most of the types of riffs that he invented. And so by being first to break new ground on the guitar, he was also the best at it for his time.

He was first at :
1. Using the Wah-Wah.
2. Getting the "acid rock" sound.
3. Playing old "Blues" standards in an upbeat and more modern way. Like "Rock Me Baby" by B.B. King.
4. Tuning to E flat with the bigger strings.
5. And I am sure you can think of many more firsts.

I think that because Stevie Ray Vaughn played the guitar since such an early age that he had the best ear for the "Blues" ever. He could here what sounded "good" on the guitar. He played riffs and chords and double-stops that just sounded good. And when played as fast as he played them they came ringing out all over the song.

Another thing about both players was the size and the strength of their hands. If you and I had hands that big and muscles that strong we would most likely be playing at a much higher level than we are today.

I think that because Stevie came second, and the fact that he was able to learn from Jimi, that Stevie was the better technical player with a cleaner sound. And Jimi was the truer inovator with lighting speed.

They both have their own place in their own eras.

#603 by Shawn Griffin
Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:54 pm
The best there ever was........Lenny Breau.

#1029 by Jeremy Kennemur
Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:32 pm
I've seen that question asked a million times over the last 40 years and my answer is always: In what genre? and how do you determine best?

I agree totaly!!

I've seen all of my favorite guitar players live except Eric Johnson and I was NEVER able to answer this UNTIL I saw Phil Keaggy live. He is the most diverse player I have ever heard. Acoustic or electric, old school or new, ANY style. Chances are most people have never heard of him. Check out his web site (philkeaggy.com). Give him a listen. If you don't like one album try another, it will most likely be totaly different!

#1431 by Guest
Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:28 pm
I just have to agree with Branes.....what criteria....speed with no soul is just not good.....Branes you are dead on the money in my book....Carlos Santana plays with so much feeling....he sings his playing...but hey there are loads of good players, fast players etc....how many play with such soul? It's not so much what you do, it is how you do it!

#3163 by Atago46
Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 am
I gonna to say the very best Rock and Roll Guitar player
ever and I know I am gonna get alot of Flack but Keith Richards
is the very best Rock and Roll guitar player ever to play a guitar.
Yes I know you never hear him playing any long solo's not becuase he
cant it becuase He learned from early on that to be a good Lead
guitar player you dont have to play all over the song; when you
hear his riffs Epeciially HONKY TONK WOMAN their just is no better
lead guitar player then Kieth Richards

#3230 by gremlin
Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:44 pm
GruppeSechs wrote:noone can beat Eddie Van Halen or even Yngwie Malmsteen! try sweep-picking 64th note arpeggios!

Hmm you must have forgot about Michael Angelo Batio this guy is scary
#4380 by TxKoyote
Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 pm
What we all tend to forget is they all had a few reasons for
playing. One was for the LOVE of the music. Two all them shared
their special gift with us and the world. Also Stevie always made sure
he paid homage to those who came before him. I am from Texas
and I love each of the Great Guitarist that lived or was from here. SRV, JLV, Albert King,Freddie King,T-bone Walker,Billy Gibbons, DimeBag , and I could go on about it . Each of them had or has something to share with us . So this how we honor them all and that is why they are all in catagory by themselves. Well, this just my opinion,nothing more....................Koyote :D