This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%
#32199 by thewall2813
Fri May 23, 2008 5:19 pm
My best friend (guitar) and a I (drums) have been playing music together for almost 7 years. We play a wide variety of music, but I guess you could say most of it is progressive metal. We like heavy stuff and all, but we aren't heavy just for the sake of it, so a lot of weird and complex stuff tends to come out. There are a few "ballads" in the mix as well. For some reason, we have always had trouble finding bass players and singers and the frustration is getting to a point that I have at times thought about quitting. I love playing shows, but it just isn't the same when you don't have a complete band (I know...I've tried). Maybe it has something to do with the kind of music we play or maybe it has something to do with the fact that we live in central Indiana, but I need to figure out something soon before I go crazy. Is everyone else have this problem or has somebody discovered the solution?

#32202 by gbheil
Fri May 23, 2008 6:38 pm
Hell No NEVER QUIT!!
You already got the hard part whipped. You got desire and you got da drummer. Nobody wants their kid playing the drums in the garage :lol:
The solution: Neverfuckinsurrender!

#32223 by Smooth5
Fri May 23, 2008 9:46 pm
Right on sanshouheil! Never f**k! Bass players are hard to find and its easy to be fooled by someone who is just a flunky guitar player who wants to be in a band, any band! Make sure your bass player is a bass player. Remember he makes the groove that makes your body move!!!

p.s. ahh yeah central Indiana might be a problem. :lol:

#32232 by Andragon
Fri May 23, 2008 10:56 pm
Never feck and surrender? haha jk

It's a toss up between Keys and Bass. In the rock scene, keys players are fading away bit by bit. And bass players seem never interested in that deep or groovy sound.. I don't get it though, I can't wait to lay my hands on some serious bass guitars again haha

#32235 by Shred9
Fri May 23, 2008 11:54 pm
Once again the same old bass player problem...I'm ready to just get my own bass rig so I can do all the work, but in the end who is going to play the bass for live shows? It seems a never-ending battle anymore between bass players that are wanna-be's and the ones that can actually jam. As far as keys go though, I've got that one covered 100-fold :D . I've already played lead guitar and keys at the same time in the same song several hundred times in the past, even live. Singers on the other hand that even have a single talent bone in their body are hard to come across (even though most of them think that they sould be the next American Idol). Good luck with your search even though I feel your frustration as well and try not to give up even though it may seem like the right thing to do. Rock on brother!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

#32239 by gbheil
Sat May 24, 2008 1:14 am
Man I read through these and continue to consider myself blessed.
Why Eric wants to keep playin with us hacks is beyond my comprehension. He said he's having fun and we would have to run him off with a stick. Hide the stick I say.

#32254 by philbymon
Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 pm
I'm a singer.

I'm a bass player.

I'm tired of waiting for ppl to discover me & use me like the tool that I am.

I have no pride, ppl. I've played a few rap songs. I've played bluegrass. I like the jam stuff, but not exclusively. Blues, rock , country, jazz, pop, metal, folk...I just don't even care anymore. Just let me play sumpin, DAMMIT!

(I also play rhythm & write stuff...yeah...I'm one of those converted/perverted guitar players that learned bass, but at least I was willing to do it. My playing is pretty good & my attitude toward the music & as a team player is always top-notch. WHERE ARE YOU PPL? Other states. GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

I need to move.

#32257 by blair_rock
Sat May 24, 2008 2:02 pm
I wouldn't call myself a TOOL. but that's just me.

#32259 by neanderpaul
Sat May 24, 2008 2:46 pm
Bass and vox are my favorite. I know that when I lived in Athens GA bass players and drummers were rare. Everybody was a guitarist or vocalist/guitarist.

#32268 by Scooterjohn
Sat May 24, 2008 5:31 pm
I've been talking to someone in Florida that says bass players are plentiful, but drummer are scarce. It seems to vary according to region.

#32344 by Kramerguy
Mon May 26, 2008 5:04 pm
well it's no secret that I've been equally as frustrated with the lack of bass players around here.

Singers are more plentiful, but on a quality level, most of the ones we've found were pretty much 1/2 a step better than a local bar weekend karaoke drunk.

The pathetic irony is that singers and bass players are so scarce around here that most can be 40% decent and 60% suck/druggie/egomaniac/asshole, and be so in demand, that they can turn bands down almost daily.

#32355 by gtZip
Mon May 26, 2008 6:39 pm
philbymon wrote:I'm a singer.

I'm a bass player.

I'm tired of waiting for ppl to discover me & use me like the tool that I am.

I have no pride, ppl. I've played a few rap songs. I've played bluegrass. I like the jam stuff, but not exclusively. Blues, rock , country, jazz, pop, metal, folk...I just don't even care anymore. Just let me play sumpin, DAMMIT!

(I also play rhythm & write stuff...yeah...I'm one of those converted/perverted guitar players that learned bass, but at least I was willing to do it. My playing is pretty good & my attitude toward the music & as a team player is always top-notch. WHERE ARE YOU PPL? Other states. GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

I need to move.

Move to the Seattle area philbymon, and I'll meet you there!
In fact, everyone that doesn't currently have it going on, proceed to the Seattle area.

#33383 by Dk510boy
Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:53 am
i Think the reason its hard to find bass players is because theres less glory in it for the players themselves. I mean no offense, but in GENERAL the Lead guitarists get more attention, and so do the vocalists. The rare musician loves to PLAY as well as LISTEN to Jamming bass lines, but in my experience most people just dont want to do it as their main instrument. I Wish that there could be more bands that showcase the Bass as a main instrument, rather than just a part of the backup for the guitar and vocals. i Personally really like Green Day's "Welcome to Paradise" for its quick rythmic Bass line.

As for the Vox problem, it may be because good singers who want to sing what your playing are just hard to come by, or that your not looking in the right places. Singing is the hardest, and one of the easier musical talents to acquire. Some are born with it, others gain it, others create it.
The thing is, for most Mainstream music, Vocals are what you really remember, propped up by a catchy guitar hook, and a nice bass line, as well as good drums or keys or horns if your ska.

I agree that mediocre vocalists are easy to come by, and for me personally i always find singers who just dont fit my bands style. but i live in an Urban area, so i suppose i have a lot more musicians to choose from...

#33399 by fisherman bob
Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:46 pm
Started out (1980) playing harmonica and singing a little. The bass player was actually a guitarist who switched to bass because we couldn't find one. Our guitarist quit and just after this a world-class harmonica player/lead singer became available. I decided to switch over to bass and took a crash self-taught lesson. Three months later we were gigging. And the rest is history...

#33652 by PeteCaya
Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:16 pm
Real bass players are so hard to find because there isn't an glory in it and they are generally looked down upon by other musicians. It's as simple as that.

Singers are harder to find because there are many people who believe they can sing, but really can't. They don't realize that being a good singer requires practice the same as guitar, bass or drums.