This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#28038 by philbymon
Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:38 pm
TY, Jacoiwishiwas...I was gonna mention my Zoom B-2, but figgered I'd get laughed outta the place.

Zooms are the cheapest & easiest effects pedals I have found to use, both for guitar & bass. Programming is easy as pie, & you can make some excellent noise with them, if you avoid 80% of the preprogrammed stuff.

Yeah, I play with a pick...if you gotta problem with that, then you're gonna have a problem.

I don't get complaints on-stage or off.

#31919 by Smooth5
Tue May 20, 2008 5:10 am
I'm in a band where the bass is a lead instrument and all pre-assumed bass roles have been completely reconfigured. I play thru a Boss GT-6B and its versatility is really nice. You can mix and match presets, add an remove voices and create user patches for very uniques sounds. Never let a guitar player tell ya that your're limited to "thud,thud,thud"

#36198 by nomen_luni
Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm
I use subtle reverb, chorus effects with my covers band, so I don't step on the two guitarists toes, so to speak, nor distract the audience. When recording my own material, particularly more electronic experiments, I delve a lot further.

#52095 by DESCENDER
Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 pm
effects are the way to go. i use an e.h. harmonic octave generator, which lets me power chord anything, octave up or down + fifths and thirds, into boss me50b multi effects, giving me compression, bottom boost, bowed effect, acoustic sim, all kinds of distortion, chorus, reverb, delay, auto wah, wah, then into boss rt20 rotory sound which lets me sound like a hammond through a leslie, or stereo panning through two amps. i have so much fun!

#53678 by songright1
Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:51 am
No matter which effect workes best for you, the compressor should be in the mix somewhere for basses,preferably right after the bass. compresson used properly will bring the sting volumes close to equal. For instance the A note played on the E string will have the same punch as the A note played on the G string. this helps greatly in controling your tones. anyone agree or disagree?

#53722 by philbymon
Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:33 am
I agree, except for a Rickenbacker - NEVER use compression on a Ricky unless you want it to sound like something else. One day I'll have me one of them axes.

#53787 by Andragon
Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:43 am
Ofcourse. Bass effects are fantastic. They can produce some of the eeriest sounds ever... or the heaviest, if you take Cliff Burton as an example.

#53828 by philbymon
Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:18 pm
I'll never understand the fascination so many have for Burton. I mean, yeah, he was on time, but he never wowed me in any way. Perhaps I should check out some of his more better stuff, cuz all I can recall is kinda lackluster, imo.

Andy, suggest something that'll tweak my innards.

As far as I'm concerned, John Entwistle, Victor Wooten, Mark King, James Jamerson, Bob Babbit, David Gilmore, Bootsy Coolins, hell, even Paul McCartney were all much better & more versatile.

#53832 by jw123
Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm
Our bassist uses a 5 string.

He uses a distortion device and a little bass synth thing for funky stuff. He is also a very accomplished slap bassist. He can cover a lot of sonic territory with just his hands.

TO me bass effects are cool when used randomly.

I heard a young group the other night and the bass player just left his effects on all the time. He lost all the definition of his bass sound and lost a lot of the bottom.

As a lead instrument I can see using a lot of effects, but in a group context I like tohear a bassist really lock in with the drummer. Im fortunate that the guys I play with are good at locking in together.

That being said a lot of times I try to incorporate really sparse guitar lines to allow him some sonic space to be more out front.

Id have to say my favorite bass/drummer combination for the past couple of years has been Flea and Chad Smith, they are so locked together that at times its hard to seperate the bass and kick.

On a bluesy front I always thought that Double Trouble who backed Stevie Ray were very tight.

Classic rock I think that John Paul Jones and Bonham were awesome.

I guess if I sit here I could go on and on...............

#53846 by Andragon
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:10 pm
People, learn from Phil. That's the best way to say that you don't like a certain artist without bashing the shyt out of em.

Back to the point, Phil, I won't convince you. Only because you have to appreciate thrash metal first. And I doubt that you do :)
Btw, all whom you've listed are excellent bassists. Entwhistle and Wooten top the list.. maybe Stanley Clarke too.
Oh and Lemmy!! lol I mean cmon. He's a beast on bass and vocals!

#53878 by HowlinJ
Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 pm
I like the way Sir Paul used distortion on his bass on "Think for Yourself".

#54199 by Andragon
Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:18 pm
Okay, Phil. Check this bassline in the intro: 40 seconds in. It would still sound good dry [aka with no effects, just amplification], but imo, it sounds killer how it is.

CLICK THE BASSLINE

#54208 by philbymon
Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 am
Good licks, Andrew. Best I ever heard from him, for sure. You found one I could appreciate, I must admit. Didn't mind the distortion, either. Tnx.