This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#28464 by Iffybiz
Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:39 pm
I don't consider myself an authority on guitar players so my list will be a lot different than most here. I'm all about the song and how it's put together and how all the band members come together to make it work. Most soloists and instrumentalists leave me cold. To that end I like:
Clapton- The guy can rise above the song without overpowering it and on top adds the riffs to make the songs memorable.
Harrison- Maybe the best at playing within the framework of the song, yet still adding a lot to it.
Edge- While I know he's knocked a lot by guitar fans as not being very good, no one adds tone to a song like he does.
Mike Campbell- Doesn't play loud or overpower but listen closely, he adds some great guitar parts that blend perfectly with the rest of the music.
There are others of course, some more talented, faster, cleaner, better effects etc. but for guys like me who like the guitar as part of the song instead of the music as something in the backround of the guitar solos, these guys to me are the best.

#30788 by daryl f.
Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 am
Hendrix or Jeff Beck.

#30865 by Kurt's Revenge
Wed May 07, 2008 1:26 am
Hendrix....hands down

#31222 by AstronautCarol
Sun May 11, 2008 5:22 pm
In my opinion...

Matt Bellamy. :)
#31244 by TOM01
Sun May 11, 2008 8:59 pm
:lol: THERE ARE MANY "GREATEST GUITARISTS.......", SIMPLY DUE TO THE VARIETY OF WAYS WE ALL EXPRESS OURSELVES WITH THAT SAME HANDFUL OF NOTES. AND SOME ARE OBVIOUSLY BETTER THAN OTHERS.
#32988 by Jupiterpercussion
Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:06 pm
Well I just can,t make the list any smaller. Here goes:
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy page,
Billy Gibbons
Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult)
Al Demeola
Zake Wylde ( black Label Society)
Bo Diddly
Frank Zappa
Steve Howe (Yes)
Martin Barre ( Jethro Tull)
Ian Anderson ( Jethro Tull)
Michael Schenker (UFO)
Eric Clapton
Randy California ( Kapt Kopter and the Twirly Birds. Spirit)
Randy Rhodes

#33357 by L.A.BYFIRELITE
Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:25 am
Ritchie Blackmore made malmsteen possible as Hendrix and Winter made stevie ray vaughn

#33375 by fisherman bob
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:02 am
Hey people, I almost never hear anybody mention Roy Buchanan as one of their favorite guitarists. He's one of those legendary obscure guitar heroes from the late sixties who never really got the acclaim he deserved. He had a lot of personal (alcohol) problems and committed suicide. You got to pick up some of his CD's if you can find them and check out some of his absolutely searing, blistering hot leads. Among other tunes his version of Hey Joe is beyond amazing. His best album may have been Loading Zone. A lot of great people played with him over the years (Stanley Clark played on Loading Zone). The man was dazzling to say the least. Later...

#33497 by fretwork
Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:36 am
Joe Bonamassa, don't know who he is? just youtube his name and check him out, you'd be amaized.
Check out his interpretation of a song called Cradle Rock

#33943 by fisherman bob
Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:14 am
I agree with fretwork. Joe Bonamassa might be THE BEST contemporary guitarist out there. His use of dynamics is supreme, and he can friggin RIP some nasty leads. Also he's a fine singer. The total package, worth checking out. Later...

#34733 by tragic08
Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 pm
THE ONLY GUITAR PLAYER THAT I KNOW OF THAT WAS ABLE TO MASTER ALL STYLES IS
''CHET ATKINS''
LOOK I'M NOT A COUNTRY FAN AT ALL,
BUT IF YOU CAN STAND ON STAGE WITH EDDIE VAN HALEN & MAKE HIM SWEAT
YOUR THE BOMB
IT'S KINDA SAD THAT MUSICIANS DON'T THINK OF HIM ON THESE TOPICS
THE MAN MASTERED COUNTRY, BLUEGRASS, BLUES, SLIDE GUITAR, ROCK, CLASSICAL, JAZZ, FOLK
WHEN I WAS YOUNG, I SAW AN A SHOW CALLED 'HEE HAW'
EDDIE WAS A GUEST ON THE SHOW.
ED WAS NOT ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH CHET,& WHEN THEY WERE DONE ED
HAD THAT LOOK ON HIS FACE AS IF HE WERE IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD.

IT'S TO BAD CHET NEVER TRYED METAL.
THEN AGAIN HE WAS KINDA OLD, I GUESS HE WAS TRYING TO STAY OUT OF HELL.
HA HA HA HA

#36799 by Black57
Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 am
tragic08 wrote:

IT'S TO BAD CHET NEVER TRYED METAL.
THEN AGAIN HE WAS KINDA OLD, I GUESS HE WAS TRYING TO STAY OUT OF HELL.
HA HA HA HA

I saw a band last week whose lead gutarist had to have been 70 and he kickedass. He wasn't worried about goin' to hell in the least.

#36834 by gbheil
Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:03 pm
You got some valid points on Chet for sure but you dont have to yell about it. Sorry man these guys jumped up my arse the first time I posted because I used all caps. Just givin you some crap.

#37060 by AirViking
Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:56 pm
Herman Li has been voted the best after Michael Batio.
So Im going with Herman Li

#37064 by Andragon
Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 pm
Boo! :evil: