This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#2954 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:02 pm

Hello Everyone!
I am a newly developing vocal artist who would love to start a band, but it appears that I have had a difficult time finding people who are commited or who are interested in working with a band virgin if you will. What experience would you suggest to help me develop skills? What equipment is suggested to purchase to make things smoother for all involved? I know I sound like a complete idiot, but as I mentioned I have always loved music, but quite frankly felt like it was an irresponsible way to approach a career... now that I am 30 I feel like I have been missing something great in my life all this time and want to persue this dream, BUT I am completely clueless.
Thanks in advance for any support or response.

#2957 by Chemical Residue
Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:44 pm
Have you ever recorded your voice over an instrumental? If you pick up some software and a good mic, you should start recording. This will help you to develop your sound. If you set up demos of your singing talents you can send of those demos to find your band. If you are totally clueless about using your comp to record you can go to someone near your area who knows how. Like put up a flyer or look at flyers in local music shops. Best of luck with your CAREER. :)
#2959 by Jacquee Rae
Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:21 pm
The only recording that I have of my voice is from a Karaoke night, not the best quality. I know there are recording studios in the area, would that be a good place to start?
Thanks again!

#2962 by Guest
Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:47 pm
...hmm...well, if i were auditioning you, one thing that might impress me is that you bring your own mics and your own PA. Its a pet peev of mine when vocalists don't pitch in. They expect the other band members to provide not only guitars, bass, drums, amps, cables but also the PA and Mics. I think thats crazy, a vocalsit sings, thats what they do, they should provide the PA and Mics, or at least help out with costs. Other than that, experience is a plus but not necessary, as long as your not tone deaf and have a good set of pipes thats all that should matter.

#2965 by Guest
Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:19 pm
Equipment, at least a good vocal mic and cord. The more PA stuff the better once your at the point of actually getting the gig.I'd start with a SM58 or something just as good, then look at tools for practice and demoing.

If I were you, Id invest in some kind of practice tool. Tascam makes a little portable cd player that lets you mute the vocals, mostly anyway, plug a mic in and sing along, monitoring the mix thru headphones. They sell for around 150 bucks. I think it even has a line out you could run to record on your PC or a cassette deck. There are probably software programs that will let you do essentially the same thing on a PC.

You really need to get yourslef recorded, not necc studio quality, but decently. So you can get HONEST feedback from someone you trust who has good pitch. Just so you know if your pretty close pitchwise, or have a LONG way to go. Either way, the truth will set you free.

Some voice training lessons would not be out of the question, to learn how not to injure yourself if for nothing else.

Also I would reccommend purchasing a decent but inexpensive acoustic guitar and learning a few chords and strums. Off the net, or take a lesson or two. THis would help train your ear/musical growth, plus give you some self accompanyment. If you abolutely son't wanna play acous guitar, then do the same deal with an inexpensive electronic keyboard, like one of the Casios or similar. Musicians Friend for 200-300 bucks, and a " you can teach yourself piano" method.

#2977 by solojoe
Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:08 am
As far as finding or getting a band together keep trying. You should record you voice buy what ever you can afford. Most important is sing sing sing, sing covers and more improtantly write your on songs and sing from you heart and soul.

#2997 by Auburn Diva
Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:20 pm
If you want to get into a band, you have to make an impression. Karaoke is a great way to gain confidence, but I must caution you to NEVER EVER use the "K-word" when you're talking to a "real musician." That can get you shot down in a heartbeat. Once you have a little confidence, start showing up at open jams in your area. Get to know some of the local players. Get up there & show your stuff. If you have any friends that have bands, see if you can sit in for a song or 2 at a small show. Get your face & voice out there. Learning an instrument (or at least a few songs on guitar) will really help. I found a great site called www.ultimate-guitar.com that has tons of guitar tab & chords. It has a great feature for beginners; when you mouse over the chord on the song, the chord diagram will appear. Check your local paper; many have musicians' classified ads for bands seeking members. I found my first band that way.
As far as gear goes, you should at the very least have your own mic. It doesn't have to be the most expensive one on the market; Shure SM58 is pretty much the industry standard, & will run you about $100. Get at least a 25' cable, or you'll be back at the music store getting another one. If you can get a full PA, go for it! Musician's Friend ( www.musiciansfriend.com ) has some good deals on PA packages. Also, check the local pawn shops. Used gear can insinuate experience, where brand new stuff can give the impression that you're a newbie.
Once you have an auition, don't say you're a "band virgin" unless asked. Let your stage presence speak for you. Remember, performance is just as much about the image you portray as the music itself. Don't be an arrogant jerk, but don't be timid, either. Have confidence, sing your ass off, & you'll be in there before you know it! Good luck!

PS: I got a late start, too. I joined my first band in my early 30's, & haven't looked back!

#3005 by Doctor Bob
Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:42 pm
Great advice so far..................

I will add the following:

When auditioning singers, I like to see someone who is COMFORTABLE in the lead role. I know you have performed in front at others doing the karaoke thing, but that is not the same as "fronting" as a band.

Nothing is more boring than watching a singer who stands in one place all night. You need to work on ways to get your energy across to the audience, and to get them involved in the show. So, as already stated above, get yourself out there with some open mic nights to boost your confidence. Also, as with anything else.....practice, practice, practice.
#3018 by Jacquee Rae
Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:32 pm
Thanks to everyone for all your help! I am already surfing the net for suggested equipment! I can't wait to get started.

#3036 by Guest
Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:25 am
Hi Sassy, if you've got the pipes something will come along. Just don't give up. Good luck. 8)

#3074 by Jacquee Rae
Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:14 pm
Ok - So I am definitely looking at the Shure SM58... would it be smart to go with the wireless right out of the gate? Are there a lot of problems with wireless mics?

#3075 by Chemical Residue
Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:10 pm
Yeah wireless is pretty much problem free now....that's fine ;)

#3077 by Jacquee Rae
Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Thanks Chemical!

#3088 by Auburn Diva
Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:08 am
I love wireless! Got my eye on a Senheiser e835 UHF. Go for the UHF as opposed to VHF if you can afford it. Better quality, switchable frequency, & more range.