This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#30028 by RoCo
Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:07 pm
There are so many profiles that have not been active in weeks to months in my area. I've read some posts where people are frustrated because of the lack of members and such. I never heard of this site when doing a search, just by chance I stumbled upon it. Any thoughts?

#30034 by Irminsul
Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:42 pm
I don't think they need promotion here...it seems to be growing just fine. The problem as I see it, is twofold: accounts with no audio clips, and inactive accounts. They need to post a rule that you can't create an account here unless you have at least one audio clip, and they also need to regularly cull out inactives. It amounts to a lot of garbage.

#30035 by RoCo
Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:52 pm
Either that or a link to a website with clips. There has go be a reason why so many are inactive though.

#30056 by Irminsul
Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:05 am
My guess on the inactives is that they registered here like a fishing expedition of sorts, to throw their bait in the water and see what fish swarm it. The problem is, these music sites don't work like that. You have to be active and develope interests with people, in order for anything to come of it.

This "register with no music or photos or meaningful information" stuff is just a waste of everyone's time.

#30058 by RyanStrain3032
Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:16 am
They should have a time limit. Like, if you don't sign in to your account for 6 months, then it'll be deleted.

#30072 by RoCo
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:29 pm
Irminsul wrote:My guess on the inactives is that they registered here like a fishing expedition of sorts, to throw their bait in the water and see what fish swarm it. The problem is, these music sites don't work like that. You have to be active and develope interests with people, in order for anything to come of it.

This "register with no music or photos or meaningful information" stuff is just a waste of everyone's time.

Couldn't agree more. It's not the sites fault people flake, but the site needs to weed through the inactives.

#30073 by RoCo
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:31 pm
RyanStrain3032 wrote:They should have a time limit. Like, if you don't sign in to your account for 6 months, then it'll be deleted.

Or at least deactivate it with an option to reactivate if they return.

#30124 by Kramerguy
Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 pm
They also send a private email to my personal email account when I get a message. These "non-responders" have no excuse. None.

I, too, am very annoyed at this behavior. Our band still needs to fill 2 slots and it's taking forever. This site is more of an informational (good information too!) site than a matchmaker site IMO. Don't know how to cure the poseur problems though, I've been assuming it's all part of the downside to internet.

#30127 by gbheil
Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm
I am in agreement with a lot of what you guys are saying. I hate to keep repeating the same old tired story. If I had not had this site to find the players I got for our band I would have had nothing to post for music.
Am I that much in the minority here? A lack of music is not necessarly a lack of intent. It took me about six months on here it seemed to find my band mates. Perhaps some dont consider a need to allow for the growth of "new" mucsicians. I left my site inactive for several months as well once the band formed. As soon as we had rudametary recordings I came back updated my site and joined the forum looking to share and grow.

#30131 by philbymon
Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm
Yes, but it isn't BM's fault when ppl don't respond.

I still think this is the best idea to come along since string cheese.

I meet just as many posers at open mics, & in talking to ppl in general.

Let's face it - ppl can be horrible time-wasters - even the "good" musicians! There's the drummer who won't answer his phone, the guitar player who can't keep his schedule straight, the bass player who double-books cuz he's so disorganized, the singer you can't depend on...we're dealing with unknown quantities every time we talk to someone.

It's getting pointless to bitch about it all.

BM does thier part very well, from what I've seen, & I love them dearly for it.
#30157 by The Hunter
Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:31 pm
Welcome to the forum. EXCELLENT audio. Finally, somebody who knows what the hell they're talking about. It's good to see you're not just another flake. 8)

#30197 by neanderpaul
Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:15 pm
Irminsul wrote:I don't think they need promotion here...it seems to be growing just fine. The problem as I see it, is twofold: accounts with no audio clips, and inactive accounts. They need to post a rule that you can't create an account here unless you have at least one audio clip, and they also need to regularly cull out inactives. It amounts to a lot of garbage.

Agreed on all points. Maybe just a weeks warning to sign in or else be deleted.

#30316 by RoCo
Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:31 pm
I actually got a reply today. Here's the first line of the message "Wow, I haven't checked this email in months" then it goes onto about already finding a band and thanking me for inquiring. At least I got a reply!

#30321 by blair_rock
Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:12 am
I had nothing to post for the longest. and only have one now. Recording software isn't worth a crap. Or I should say I'm not worth a crap with it.
Plus not everyone is looking for the same thing. I too had no one reply when I first joined too and didn't like it. So I don't know what the solution is. Only thing I can say is people need to be honest about what they're looking for on their profiles. And also about their ability. But I guess they really do think they're that good. (must be tone deaf and have no sence of timeing) At least I don't think I'm good. Just like to write music.

Band mix sends me a email when someone sends me a message so saying they didn't know because they haven't checked account is BS.
People just need to have the decency to respond even if it's just to say they don't need anyone any more.
The only way you can say it's Band Mixes fault is to say they know Musicians are a bunch of conceted a#$ holes.

#30332 by RoCo
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:13 am
blair_rock wrote:I had nothing to post for the longest. and only have one now. Recording software isn't worth a crap. Or I should say I'm not worth a crap with it.
Plus not everyone is looking for the same thing. I too had no one reply when I first joined too and didn't like it. So I don't know what the solution is. Only thing I can say is people need to be honest about what they're looking for on their profiles. And also about their ability. But I guess they really do think they're that good. (must be tone deaf and have no sence of timeing) At least I don't think I'm good. Just like to write music.

Band mix sends me a email when someone sends me a message so saying they didn't know because they haven't checked account is BS.
People just need to have the decency to respond even if it's just to say they don't need anyone any more.
The only way you can say it's Band Mixes fault is to say they know Musicians are a bunch of conceted a#$ holes.

Well maybe it was their first email that they received in a few months, they weren't active in quite a while. I'm fine with other people not interested in the type of music I'd like to do or if my style isn't what they are looking for. My thing is that I always reply curtiously and promptly. It's just a good thing to do.

My point was about how inactive some people are and the profile still being up. There's too much of this. Peace to you Blair.