This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#295755 by RhythmMan-2
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:19 pm
My New Takamine 12-string GD30CE12BLK ($620) has a beautiful, highly resonant deep & rich sound.
It's like holding down the loud pedal on a piano . . . such a full sound.
I can see why these guitars are so highly thought of!
But the strings were high, and I'd been considering removing the saddles to file/sand them down, to lower the action.
I was planning on spending a few hours sanding down the TWO bridges. (Yep, TWO. This thing is in PERFECT tune.)
It was 100 times easier than I expected.
Instead of one pickup, this acoustic guitar has SIX pickups, all integrated into the saddles in the bridge.
No wonder it sounds so good when it's plugged in.
And UNDER the saddle 'channel bars' - SHIMS!
When you pop them out, the metal channel holding the saddle (with the integrated pickups) is lowered as a unit, and the action is lowered.
The whole shebang gets lowered, and the saddle now sits lower in the bridge.
It's shipped with all the shims in place, with the highest action.
Different thicknesses give you a choice of 3 different heights.
The guys who designed this are smart.
I remove all the shims, because I need low action for my music.
No sanding.
:)
EASY.
And it's a dream to play and listen to.
#295785 by gbheil
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:47 pm
My recent joy and "affordable" surprise was a Gretsch 2256 semi hollow with P-90's
Playing a lot less distortion these days. What a joy those bell like cleans with the deep rich mid range.
#295791 by RhythmMan-2
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:25 pm
I like my Takamine so much that I ordered a second one, a more expensive model.
So- just a couple weeks after buying the first one (a Takamine GD30CE-12 string), I ordered a
2nd one.
A Takamine EF381SC-Keystone Legacy 12 string Pro series.

It's a lifetime guitar.
The thing is that it looks almost completely identical to the one I now play.
But looks aren't everything!
It cost me $1000 more ($1600 w/case) but that'll definitely be the last 12 string guitar I ever buy.
Like the Takamine GD30CE, the Takamine EF381 also a Dreadnought, w/a Venetian Cutaway to reach those really high notes. Back & sides are maple, the top is solid Sitka Spruce.
If you want to see some cool things about acoustic guitars, go to Youtube, and look up the Takamine factory tour . . . pretty neat.
There's some impressive craftmanship going into these guitars!
$600 or $1600, you can't go wrong getting one of these.
btw, I've been playing guitar for 50 years.
But - a word to the wise: they can't make these guitars fast enough to keep up with demand.
These guitars are hot: expect a wait of 6 months to a year before you even get to see your new guitar.
#295801 by RhythmMan-2
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:24 pm
btw - I ordered my 2nd Takamine 12-string in May; and I'm still waiting for it to get here.
#295808 by Planetguy
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:46 pm
That sounds like tough duty. New gear acquisition purgatory! Good luck. And hopefully it'll come soon and doesn't make any travels in stoopid cold temps.

I took my Breedlove C250/SM-12 for a spin yesterday and just had a blast with it after not playing any 12 string for a good while. Always fun reconnecting.
#295818 by RhythmMan-2
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:47 pm
Yeah, I paid for that 2nd Takamine 12-string way back in May, and it's still back-ordered.
I'll bet that when It finally comes in I could tack another $500 on it, and sell it within a week, if I wanted to.